[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whenever the scene with the Joker's video of Brian Douglas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: the-dark-knight-2008-movie-04.jpg (18 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
the-dark-knight-2008-movie-04.jpg
18 KB, 500x333
Whenever the scene with the Joker's video of Brian Douglas from The Dark Knight is discussed, there's always at least a few people who talk about how this scene was received in theaters. Namely, people in the theater were usually laughing or otherwise reaction to the Joker being goofy (patting Brian's face, hoo-hoo laugh, etc) right until the almost growl-like "LOOK AT ME!" line, at which point "it went so quiet you could hear a pin drop."

Did this really happen on any significant scale? Or is it people retroactively applying "awe" to the scene?
>>
>>67561342
I don't recall. But the "look at me" line is repeated a few times and usually means the Joker is about to fuck some shit up.

It's menacing line delivery, that much is true, but I don't remember the reaction in the theater.
>>
>>67561342
I remember people kinda giggling at first and then screaming at the LOOK AT ME line

then again I was at the midnight premiere which usually draws the most enthusiastic crowds. People where whooping and hollering at that Batcycle 180 off the wall and cheered when Gordon captured Joker.
>>
>>67561342
The shakycam and home film nature of that scene gave the same feel as a snuff reel or a radical islamist about to execute somebody vibe
>>
As I recall people weren't laughing at all during the video as it was pretty disturbing and displayed how psychotic the joker was
>>
I don't remember reactions like that, but it was definitely a dramatic change in tone. Here's a guy messing with the mob and not a real threat to "oh shit this guy is a fucking threat"
>>
>>67561342
I remember children stopped chewing popcorn, so yeah it was intense
>>
>>67561342
I went to the midnight showing with my brother, uncle, dad, and my sister. We weren't expecting a happy spiderman film at the time, but we also didn't expect something like this.

People were chuckling when the joker was slapping brian back and forth on the face. My brother was smiling cause he though it was a joke and my sister was akwardly laughing to offset the whole uncomfortable nature of the scene.

out of no where you hear the line. >>67561610
is completely right, people stopped eating, smiling, chucking. dead silent

you don't get that it modern capekino these days.
>>
>>67561342
It probably did. When you go from lighthearted goofy banter to angry yelling, it tends to make the average brainless movie goer pay more attention for a few seconds, especially when you not-so-sublty adjust the audio levels for dramatic effect.

Speaking of subtly, Ledgers entire performance get's more and more cringeworthy upon each repeated viewing because of the total lack of subtly. His quirky lipsmakcing and teeth clicking is just obnoxious and his overall voice and demeanor wasn't original in the first place.

>>67561429
>the "look at me" line is repeated a few times and usually means the Joker is about to fuck some shit up

I think you're remembering it wrong. Pretty sure he only says those words in that one scene.
>>
>>67561342
They pulled that tape off of a dead man after a jump scare scene where the guy's body slams into the window so I doubt anybody was laughing about in theaters because we already know the imitator was murdered
>>
I think I remember some people farting nervously? Dont really remember though
>>
>>67561945
>I think you're remembering it wrong. Pretty sure he only says those words in that one scene.

He says it at least one other time, to Rachel in the party scene.
>>
>>67561945
>actually paying attention to the words people say in films
>>
>>67561508
>>67561540
>>67561592
>>67561610
>>67561752
Am I being memed? Heath's Joker was overacting: the role. I don't think there's a movie with its head up its own ass farther than TDK.
>>
>>67561945
>>67562746
why did you feel the need to post again though
>>
>>67562556
This might be the worst shitpost I've read on this board ever. Maybe on any board ever.
>>
For me the whole scene was thoroughly unpleasant as its was basically just a home video of a psychotic murderer interrogating some hapless fool.
I hope the audience response was more down to just making people jump at the sudden change in volume.

Because if that's not the case it suggests general audiences are so stupid that they didn't realize the joker should be feared until he shouted in a scary voice.
>>
Yes, my theather was fucking quite every time the joker was on screen, people were scared.
>>
>>67562746
You need to be working on pre-production for Justice League Zack, get off the computer
>>
>>67563446
It's not that people don't know that they should be scared of the Joker until then, it's that up until that point the Jokers attitude and demeanor had been very sarcastic and mocking and casually cruel. The "look at me" was delivered in a very dark, guttural way that is shocking. There's a glimpse in those few seconds of something underneath the Jokers self-assured, mocking demeanor.
>>
>>67564253
kek
>>
>>67562746
you are so cool
>>
>>67561342
I saw this movie in a great theater while on holiday in Greece before it was released in my country. The Heath Ledger Death Hype hadn't affected me and the sound and image in the theater were great. I was absolutely blown away and actually genuinely unsettled by Ledger's performance. And then that video happened. Holy shit did the theater go quiet, it literally felt like everyone was holding their breath.
>>
i laughed at how he said "i'm a man of my word"
>>
>>67561508
So basically like bin-alflckhi homemade films.
>>
File: 1446206844751.gif (2 MB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1446206844751.gif
2 MB, 270x270
>People reacting at all or making noise in the theater

What the fuck? Where do you people live? I have rarely ever heard anyone ever during a movie, it would totally break my immersion.
>>
I saw it twice and both tines 80% of the theatre was silent and maybe 10-20% nervously laughed but theb stfu when he yelled
>>
>>67561342
I went to the midnight release. During the Pencil Trick I remember a collective "OOOO" (like "boo" without the B) throughout the audience since the kill was so quick. Just as quick as we processed it, everyone went back to being quiet. Throughout the movie, this was the reaction to the Joker. People would chuckle or gasp at low volume since it was natural to react to his performance for the first time in such a way, but people also quickly silenced themselves since we didn't want to miss a word the Joker said.

In this scene in particular, OP, you have to understand we as the audience didn't know how dark it was about to get. We didn't know how it would unfold. It was so scary it was fun. The patting his face with the shh shh shh was light enough to make us relax and then to turn it around completely with the "LOOK AT ME" made everyone hold their breath. It was like your dad or mom yelling your name as kid so loudly that you knew you were in deep trouble. It makes your whole body freeze.
>>
>>67564645
Saw on vacation in Rome. Theatre had happy/sad clown masks above the screen, and legit gargoyles on the walls. Scarier experience than most horror movies I've seen in a cinema.
>>
>>67565142
>I have never watched a comedy in a theater
>I have never watched a horror in a theater
>>
>>67566440
He's right, what the fuck is wrong with Americans? Do you clap at funerals too? Press F to put down the fork you obese piece of shit
>>
>>67561342
I did jump.
>>
>>67565142
I'm Dutch and the first time I actually experienced a reaction from the audience was in 10 cloverfield lane last week, people were genuinely shocked by some scenes.
>>
>>67561342
I don't remember any big audience reaction in the theaters and I believe I saw the movie 2 or 3 times while it was out.

I believe personally I thought it was pretty intense and all but it fits the movie and the character. I don't see much of a reason for it to have really shocked anyone other than tiny kids or old people expecting something more like the 80s and 90s Batman movies.
>>
>I hate america so fucking much yet I can't stop obsessing over everything they do

.t every europoor
>>
>>67566583
I'm gonna guess the opening Car crash and the Gun.
>>
>>67566477
>assblasted Yuropoor and a /v/edditor to boot
Goodbye r*ddit!
>>
>>67561342
I just read a funfact yesterday that all these Joker scenes were directed by Ledger himself.
>>
>>67566738
Yeah. Good movie though.
>>
>>67565142
>not reacting to a movie you watch

Europeans are robots, confirmed
>>
The Dark Knight was such a perfect film. WB truly peaked with it. They've been trying to recapture that lightning in a bottle ever since.
>>
>>67565142
I saw deadpool and holy shit people were losing their god damned minds. You couldn't hear a fucking word because friends next to me are like HAHAHAHAHA HAHFSHFHSFHSLFHS and look over me expecting me to share in their collective lunacy. It was a funny movie but fucking shit I'm never seeing a comedy in theatres ever again.

This also bugs me, why the FUCK would you in good conscience ever be unwrapping or slurping or making any fucking noise AT ALL during a quiet scene during a movie? People are sitting there like crunching on pack of cheedos or nachos or whatever the fuck while it's dead silent in the theatre. FUCKIGN WAIT FOR A LOUD PART OH MY GOD
>>
>>67569252
Also I've had the WORST luck in winding up sitting to fucking mouth-breathers. If you're a mouth breather, please for the love of god, just, walk toward the nearest high place or sharp object and jam it into your neck. No nononono don't' call the 911 before or afterward, just let the darkness roll over your. This is how it's meant to be
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.