[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That sounds like the kind of thing a 30-year-old—or a 40-year-old,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: moore.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
moore.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
That sounds like the kind of thing a 30-year-old—or a 40-year-old, even—could be caught reading on the tube, upon the subway, without embarrassment. When I started work for DC Comics, I figured that my readership was probably somewhere between—they'd previously been 9 to 13 years old, and now they were around 13 to 18. The average age of the audience now for comics, and this has been the case since the late 1980s, probably is late thirties to early fifties—which tends to support the idea that these things are not being bought by children. They're being bought in many cases by hopeless nostalgics or, putting the worst construction on it, perhaps cases of arrested development who are not prepared to let their childhoods go, no matter how trite the adventures of their various heroes and idols.
>>
This guy's become really cranky over the years. Has some serious mental blocks.
>>
>things are not being bought by children

We've got a real deep thinker on our hands here.
>>
>>67557157
or parents Alan. Seriously now.
>>
>>67557157
Alan Moore has never said anything about the comic book industry that's not 100% true.
>>
File: moore2.jpg (30 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
moore2.jpg
30 KB, 460x276
To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence," he wrote to Ó Méalóid. "It looks to me very much like a significant section of the public, having given up on attempting to understand the reality they are actually living in, have instead reasoned that they might at least be able to comprehend the sprawling, meaningless, but at-least-still-finite 'universes' presented by DC or Marvel Comics. I would also observe that it is, potentially, culturally catastrophic to have the ephemera of a previous century squatting possessively on the cultural stage and refusing to allow this surely unprecedented era to develop a culture of its own, relevant and sufficient to its times
>>
What does he suggest adults read for escapist entertainment?
Is entertainment only for children and adults should forget being entertained and only read depressing things?
Moore is a genius but that doesn't mean everything he says is automatically correct.
>>
>>67557403
>Alan thinks we should study alchemy and magic
>>
File: frogs.jpg (49 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
frogs.jpg
49 KB, 640x560
Is he only talking about Superheroes? Or Graphic novels and comics in general?

Because he is patently, PATENTLY incorrect if he thinks that Watchmen started the adult comic trend in the 80's. That was fucking Heavy Metal magazine in the early 70's.
>>
>>67557403
>culturally catastrophic to have the ephemera of a previous century squatting possessively on the cultural stage
>Shakespeare
>Chaucer
>Cervantes
>Dickens

Alan... you are talking shit, now, mate.
>>
>>67557598

Also, pulp entertainment for adults predates Watchmen by like 50 years. Grown ass nerds were reading Conan the Barbarian in the 30's, for example.
>>
Alan hates the fact his works have been made into popular films.
He'd rather write stuff no one likes.
He's a genius but he's also a dick.
>>
>>67557598
Even Heavy Metal was based on the french comic Metal Hurlant
>>
>>67558660

They're literally the same thing, m8, it was just published in English-speaking countries as Heavy Metal
>>
>>67557486
You can try reading a book without pictures.
>>
But it's still ok for you to make boatloads of money off it for you Alan, right?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.