[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/tv/ how do i become a screenwriter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 4823.jpg (74 KB, 1180x842) Image search: [Google]
4823.jpg
74 KB, 1180x842
/tv/ how do i become a screenwriter?
>>
>>67553405
If you like Trump, you don't have what it takes.
>>
First step is be liberal
Second step is be jewish
>>
File: sop108cl-script[3].jpg (179 KB, 1325x758) Image search: [Google]
sop108cl-script[3].jpg
179 KB, 1325x758
write a screenplay
>>
>>67553440
let's say i wanna write a capeshit movie
do i have to write everything,the story,the characters, all dialogues, or do i start with the central idea and then i start developing the story?
>>
>>67553515
There's no rules. Just write it.
>>
>>67553515
as far as I know every screenwriter does it his own way. the only important thing is to format it right, unless you're going to direct it yourself, than format it as you wish.
>>
Asking for a small loan of a million dollars.
>>
>>67553405
Don't listen to Max Landis.

Write some small indie movie and then work towards doing developing something in an already established franchise.
>>
>>67553405
You have to suck a producer's dick, and then you write exactly what he tells you to write for as little pay as possible. If you're lucky, you can throw a quick zinger into the script without the producer noticing.
>>
Average movie is 90-120 minutes

Average page is one minute or screentime

Average scene is 1.5pages

Format it right and keep it to a 90 page minimum and u have a screenplay
>>
You have to write instead of posting on 4chan. Then continue doing that for a decade. Then get lucky.
>>
Write a screenplay, email it to as many studios as you can, see if someone picks it up
>>
Write a screenplay also get connections in Hollywood.

You need to be someone's assistant
>>
>>67553843
what if they simply steal my idea and get millions from it while i remain a poor neet
>>
File: 1432470784371.jpg (229 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1432470784371.jpg
229 KB, 1360x768
>write a "guaranteed money maker" (simple, formulaic, lots of action and sex, good one liners, preferably cheap to make)
>have hollywood connections OR move to L.A. and shamelessly whore your script around anybody who works in the industry
>be prepared for rejection and extremely harsh criticism
>be willing to completely re-write your entire screenplay at the hands of an incompetent idiot
>be willing to work for years on a single project that you will get essentially no credit or money from
>be prepared that the film will most likely get cancelled or sidelined before production has even begun
>be prepared for the fact that even if it is a breakout success, you may never get another script commissioned

It's a terrible job. It will be MANY years before you are able to make something you actually give a shit about, and that is only if you are both a very good writer, and very lucky. Just like all industry jobs, everybody who isn't already in the elite is fucked.
>>
For tv, do they still care about spec scripts or do they prefer you write an original pilot?

This book I'm reading from 2003 says to write and try to sell specs then work your way up, but I'm afraid that might be outdated
>>
>>67555696
Not very likely, I used to read submitted scripts as part time work. The studio I worked for were really careful when it came to shit like that, if they liked the idea but not the script they would normally contact the writer and ask to buy the script idea from them and then have it completely re-written. The payout was normally quite shit, and some of the scripts (I thought) were quite good. Shame really.
>>
>>67556234
so if I'm not Jewish I'm screwed
>>
>learn about writing
>try writing
>suck a lot for a while
>make an accidental masterpiece
>have it stolen from you
>>
>>67555696
Studios WANT good writers. They want to work with good writers and make shitloads of money.

If they want your idea, they can just buy your script then get someone to rewrite it, and avoid any legal battles.
>>
>>67556234
Being a writer is never about being an elite. Writers are the pretend elites. They are fooled into thinking they're part of the system, but really they're just another cog to the execs.

But hey, the writers get to feel important, while the execs stay inside. Win-win.
>>
>>67553425
Have sex
>>
>>67553515
>could write absolutely anything your imagination can conjure up
>chooses to write MORE capeshit

humans are cancer
>>
>>67553405
hire a ghost writer
>>
>>67556383
how many pages does the scripts sent to you usually have?
>>
>>67557015
>>67553812

An average screenplay will be 90-120 pages long, where each page is about a minute in screentime.

Tons of variables though, but that's the range that you should shoot for.
>>
>>67557015
Varies. I had whole scripts sent, sometimes 10 pages, sometimes 30.

For the record, I was told to read the first 10 pages, then 10 from the middle, and the last 10. Sending one chunk from the beginning is a good way to have your script thrown out, because studios like to see how the story develops.

If you only send an excerpt, make sure you send the beginning, something from the middle, and the end.
>>
>>67557015
>>67557109
Oh, if you're talking about length, this guy has the right idea. Most I received were around 100 pages, had a few come in much longer though, and even one or two that were like, 200 pages long.

Like the other guys said, 90-120 is the sweet spot, I'd say aim for the former however.
>>
Write a script as good as The Incredible Inevitable Introverted Existential Inside Out
Exploding Adventures of [TITLE PENDING]
http://pastebin.com/rkrxPuEj
>>
Just write. That's seriously it.

Stop wanking over your world-building. Stop trying to write a 4 part epic superhero film. Just write a goddamn film.

It doesn't matter if it's shit. It WILL be shit. But there is a relief from finally having finished something.

And then you edit. Edit edit edit edit until it resembles something passable.
>>
1) Write a screenplay. Write a lot of them.
2) Be pushy. Cold mail your scripts, make friends in communities dedicated to your interests, get them to show you shit around, be places where you might run into a particular producer you've already singled out as a possible lead and show him your shit, and do this and 1) for years until something sticks.
3) Don't quit your day job
4) Write and publish as much as possible even on F-list interest-blogs so you have some internet profile in the off chance anyone who glances and your shit for more than a second decides to google you and see how much of an unproven nobody you are. Repeat steps 1) and 2) until for years until you're publishing in something better than F-list publications
5) Try not to kill yourself from despair.

That was easy. Give us another.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.