[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jesus Christ Jean-Luc Godard is such an intense and infuriating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 254x199) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 254x199
Jesus Christ Jean-Luc Godard is such an intense and infuriating asshole.

I've been reading about his relationship with Truffaut. Godard was born to rich parents but eshewed them and his bourgeois roots to pretend that he was poor. In his years of playing Bohemian he happened to meet Truffaut and actual poor child that grew up loving Cinema and it was Truffaut that eventually got Godard into Cinema.

Then years later Godard is going off on his increasingly more wild experimentations and Truffaut is simply trying to be a filmmaker and Godard calls him a Traitor.

Truffaut makes the film Day for Night following these statements by Godard and the film is essentially a nostalgic goodbye to the things Truffaut liked about studio driven films and it questions wether the new wave was actually an improvement. Godard proceeds to send Truffaut a letter telling him he is prostitute and that he has a moral obligation to give Godard money in order to produce a response film that will destroy Truffaut's argument.

Truffaut then writes a 20 page letter to Godard with such great lines as "you should make and autobiographical film entitled "a shit is a shit".
>>
>>67541268
It is spelt 'Picard' you plen.
>>
File: 1457287029630.jpg (117 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
1457287029630.jpg
117 KB, 392x500
>>67541268
>>
it is kind of a shame Godard basically became the face of the New Wave
>>
>>67541390
I'll make a TL;dr for you.

JLG is a rich kid that wants to act poor and meets Truffaut an actual poor kid. Years later he calls Truffaut a traitor for not being a Maoist and Truffaut tells him that he's still a rich kid no matter how poor he pretends to be.
>>
>>67541268

Godard is a world class cunt, he literally drove Anna Karina to tears by insulting her during an interview. He was asked by the interviewer if the fact that since they were working together on films that maybe constantly seeing each other during work and after was the primary cause in their divorce. Godard the replies with some pretentious bullshit I don't remember then starts to list off director/actress couples and says Anna was a prototype of it right in front of her. She tries to suppress her emotions but starts choking up loudly and gets teary end, she gets up and leaves because she couldn't bear to sit there with them anymore. The guy is the walking embodiment of self righteous pretension. I'm happy all the world cinemas legend tear into him. Only the french and contrarian "cinephiles" like him beyond his post-1967 work so fuck it. Truffaut is well respected by everyone.

Truffaut is bro-tier, I've always liked him more, he literally gave Godard the blueprint for breathless it was practically his film.
>>
File: Francois_Truffaut.jpg (66 KB, 675x435) Image search: [Google]
Francois_Truffaut.jpg
66 KB, 675x435
>>67541268
>>67541778
>>
who /teamtruffaut/ here
>>
>>67542105

Almost everyone on /tv/. Back when this board was actually about films and not capeshit we would have these 200 post threads having arguments with Godardfags.

Every time, without fail. Eventually it got the point where they couldn't handle the banter and Werner Herzog/Ingmar Bergman quotes they gave up trying to "enlighten" everyone.
>>
>>67541268
>godard is a shitter
what did you expect from a maoist?
>>
>>67542105
im /truffaut/

>>67542211
people pretend 4chan has always been shit but its just wrong
>>
>>67542211
i would vastly, vastly prefer some godardfags to argue with over massive inflamed arguments over capeshit that i just don't care about. the business/behind the scenes details of the whole capeshit situation are the only aspect i can bring myself to find interest in, and nobody gives a shit about that because they're busy yelling at each other over cartoon characters they're personally invested in.
>>
fuck godard
>>
File: 1458091535896.jpg (377 KB, 638x1252) Image search: [Google]
1458091535896.jpg
377 KB, 638x1252
is there anyone as based as Andrei "put the plebs on blast" Tarkovsky?
>>
>>67543329
this so much. something needs to give.
>>
Godard, Tarkovsky, and Kubrick are the unholy trinity of smug cinema
>>
>>67541724
Everything before JLG's Maoist turn was alright. Everything after was shit.
>>
Who cares about directors personality etc
>>
>>67542105
truffaut best boy
>>
fun thread. now time to get back to my capekino threads.
>>
>>67544982
At least Tarkovsky had a very hard life to excuse him of being bitter against anyone who wasnt Bresson or Bergman. Kubrick was a bro.
>>
>>67544838
>Did he actually die not knowing he was a hack?

BASED
>>
>>67544838
>he is a pleb
I've read this before and it always makes me kek
>>
>>67541268
>>
File: 4rece.png (2 MB, 1757x557) Image search: [Google]
4rece.png
2 MB, 1757x557
>>67546755
>>67546755
>>
>>67542211
well in 100 years, no one will give a shit about truffaut's work while godard's films are eternal in their deconstruction of the medium
>>
>>67541778
Why are you attacking his films through the attack of his character?

Shouldn't the films be exclusive from your judgment on him? are we also going to comment on Mozart's music because he loved talking about shit and assholes?
>>
I still like Godard's work more than Truffaut. I just wish other directors of the New Wave weren't eclipsed by these two.

>>67541778
Agree, even though it was Jean Pierre Melville who gave Godard the blueprint for Breathless
>>
>>67544838
I'd like to hear an angry Russian cinephile rant on about plebs
>>
>>67547865
>>67544838
audiobook when
>>
Oh shit dudes this Godard bloke sounds a bit nasty, but I downloaded Pierrot le Fou, is it worth a watch?
>>
>>67544985
Unless Histoire(s) du cinéma. Finally the better thing that Godard can do is talking about cinema.
>>
In the end, Truffaut just didn't have the talent. I'm sure he is a nice guy but I don't care. He had one story to tell, his life, and he nailed it. Good for him.
>>
Godard's films were better than Truffaut's (and I say this as a huge Truffaut fan) but Truffaut seemed like a much cooler guy.

Rivette deserves more acclaim too. I watched Out 1 recently and it was phenomenal.
>>
>>67544838

>Tarkovsky

How embarrassing.
>>
>>67547184

underrated post
>>
>>67543815
fuck you too
>>
>>67547901
Yes, you should watch his movies and defferenciate the artist and the artwork, Godard is a jerk but some of his movies are masterpieces
>>
>>67549575
differenciate
>>
>>67549575
Agreed.

Pierrot
Bande a part
Breathless
Vivre Sa Vie
Le Mepris

All worth watching.
>>
File: 1457596776999.jpg (186 KB, 600x719) Image search: [Google]
1457596776999.jpg
186 KB, 600x719
>>67541268
>Former Maoist
>Called Kurosawa "merely a more elegant Ralph Habib", agreed that he wasn't "Japanese enough" with other French faggots
>Tagged along with directors paying respects to Kurosawa and didn't say anything the whole time
Truly insufferable, and his films were always emotionally void.
>>
>>67549213
>Truffaut just didn't have the talent

How can you say that with a straight face
>>
>>67541268
Truffaut is shit. He's literally the french Spielberg
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UJlgGbNhgg
>>
File: 1428232248296.jpg (140 KB, 710x994) Image search: [Google]
1428232248296.jpg
140 KB, 710x994
>"I miss him dearly. He died at the age of 54. He died too young...,"

>"He always looked at me with his adoring bright eyes. I will never forget the look in his amicable eyes. Both of us agreed on many things about life and film. But we are so different in disposition that our outputs are quite opposite in character. He is a poet, I am not."
>>
>>67549677
>Former Maoist

Truffaut was a former Trotskyist, which is worse in my book. His last films were fake trash for the bourgeoisie
>>
>>67550032
Mao killed a squillion more people.
>>
Godard's films were not better than Truffaut. I'm replying to several posters here.

Godard is a bad director. All of his films function on gimmicks besides maybe Contempt and Band of Outsiders. He was a guy that had a few ideas on how to experiment with Cinema and basically he did all his valuable experimentations in about 6 movies, none of which are relevant to anyone but film students. It has been literally 50 years since he's been relevant yet he's still pumping out 3 movies a year that no one watches.

Meanwhile as Truffaut got older he learned his trade and continued making films that connected with people. Day for Night is easily a better film than everything Godard made besides maybe Vivre Sa Vie, and I prefer The Last Metro to the 90 purposefully obfuscated muddled "films" Godard released since 67.
>>
>>67549677
someone should make a small short film based off that living room conversation with Kurosawa
>>
>>67550032
Trotskyist communism is at least focused on humanism where Maoism is literally focused on the cult of Mao and a complete control over cultural a personal life.

Communist thinkers and artists have a bad habit of assuming the audience for their beliefs is dumb and refusing to do anything but condescend to them.
>>
>>67541268
>>67541724
>>67541778
I feel really embarrassed for you. I hope you're still in high school for your thoughts on film to be so facile and idiotic so as to be fixated on the personalities behind the film. At the very least you could bother to get these simple biographical tales correct.
>>
>>67542105

Truffaut is best.

Everything about him is lovable. Almost everyone in France loved him and that's why Truffaut will have a longer impact on the world than Godard.
>>
>>67552386
yeah that's why michael bay and tyler perry will be remembered as some of the greatest of the craft
>>
>>67545185
Kubrick was a cunt
>>
>>67549997
Based
>>
>>67551034
/thread
>>
>>67551844
Tell us the true story from the correct perspective, anon.
>>
I found it especially annoying when he said, "Make it Show, Number one." to the camera operator.
>>
>>67552590
Yet not as insufferable as you, dickhead.
>>
>>67541724

Wow great story
>>
>>67551034
That's the problem, Truffaut didn't even have ideas.
>>
>>67541268
>Truffaut then writes a 20 page letter to Godard with such great lines as "you should make and autobiographical film entitled "a shit is a shit".
Is this for real? That's real life shit-posting, they both sound like /tv/ posters.
>>
>>67552758
He actually was
>>
>>67549411
>le Tarkovsky is bad meme

stop
>>
>>67541778
that's not how I remembered that interview (which I watched without even knowing his works), but I rewatched it now and that's just not true. From the beginning of the interview even if you don't understand french you can clearly see how upset Anna Karina is for being confronted to her former love. It's been 20 years since they last saw each other and quite obviously she isn't over him. He doesn't insult her, he compliments her skill, and the moment you refer to he was talking about himself, how, as a "young and naive" director, he thought that falling in love with your actress was how great director were supposed to behave, but that in the end it never really worked out between them.
>>
>>67553122
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1QX_eWF8W8 here's the link, in french, for those interested. From the beginning of the video, Godard says that the page is turned and you can see Karina being very affected by these words, even 20 years after. Whatever you think about Godard, you can't really blame him for how she reacts.
>>
>>67553122
yep. it's clear she was simply upset and felt strong emotions about being reminded of this stuff at all. nothing j-lg said was the cause for it. he was being self-deprecating anyway, painting himself as a selfish person who entered into the relationship because he thought that's what great directors do.
>>
>>67541778
waah someone cried waah

get fucking real son
>>
looks like the king's speech
>>
Trotsky did nothing wrong.
>>
where to start with truffaut, i've watched nothing
>>
>>67553548
Les Quatres-Cents Coups
>>
>>67542105
I most definitely am.
Can't even stand Godard's earlier work.
>>
>>67553568
cent never takes the plural in french
>>
>>67553878
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Quatre_Cents_Coups
??
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.