[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the Infinite Jest of film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 81a3oM3EcfL.jpg (452 KB, 1871x2560) Image search: [Google]
81a3oM3EcfL.jpg
452 KB, 1871x2560
What's the Infinite Jest of film?
>>
Problem Child 2
>>
>>67529612

portlandia
>>
>incoherent mess with autismal characters
Batman v Superman
>>
Problem Child 2
>>
>>67529912
reddit's -----> that way my friend
>>
>>67529912
>incoherent
>plebs who read it just to sound smart can't understand it
>>
Inherent Vice Rated R!
>>
>>67529973
>>67529964
Its not /lit/, nobody gives a fuck about you pretending to understand some pretentious 1000 page vomit with billion footnotes
>>
>>67530092
>pretending to understand

How dumb do you have to be to not understand it? We read this as a class for my high school's senior English class and most people grasped it pretty well.
>>
File: Synedoche[1].jpg (1 MB, 936x1325) Image search: [Google]
Synedoche[1].jpg
1 MB, 936x1325
>>
>>67530247
We get it man, you're really smart and knowledgable. Please use you superior intellect to invent cure for cancer and use it on yourself.
>>
>>67529612
The Neverending Story.

both are false advertising (I only jested twice.)
>>
File: 1459117207434.jpg (50 KB, 703x863) Image search: [Google]
1459117207434.jpg
50 KB, 703x863
>>67530338
>being in this severe denial
>>
Some film that has deleted scenes, these deleted scenes have deleted scenes themselves
>>
>you will never watch a movie as filled to the brim with depth and complexity as Infinite Jest
>there will never be films that are as good as Infinite Jest is a book
>film is the inferior medium

it hurts bro
>>
>>67530771
are you implying that endnotes are deleted scenes?
>>
Love Exposure
>>
Charlie Kaufman's films
>>
>>67529612
its kinda hard to find 1 movie that compares to the book as a whole

for the tennis academy, i'd go with a sports documentary like Hoop Dreams

for the drug addict house, something like a mix between Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream

and for the actual Infinite Jest cartridge subplot, i have no idea
>>
Shoah, obv
>>
Inherent Vice
>>
>>67530534
Perfect image
>>
>>67530338
Why are you so against trying to have a discussion about this? It comes across as antiintellectual and childish.
>>
DUDE /LIT/ MEMES LMAO
>>
>>67530992
I suppose it really depends on what you define by depth, anon. Of course, both forms of media can have varying forms of complexity, but there are different ways for certain complexities to be implemented between film and literature. For example, the way a dialogue scene is shot and edited and the implied beats between characters can speak volumes about their relationship, just as internal monologue in a book can. Sorry if this mini-essay is a bit incoherent by the way, anon. I've had a few drinks and it's been a rough night.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.