[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So memes aside why Star Wars is so overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
So memes aside why Star Wars is so overrated?
>>
>memes aside
>still posting about fucking star wars

Jesus christ I hate this fucking board sometimes
>>
>>67527736
The idea of strong, well thought out characters portrayed by minorities or women is threatening to /tv/, so they nitpick and shitpost from the comfort of their white male basements
>>
>>67527934
>strong
you mean mary sue

>well thought out
ripped off from a new hope

topkek
>>
>>67527736
It's simple, it's fun and it looks good.
>>
Star Wars was a groundbreaking sci-fi movie. And Empire was one of the best movies ever made. The franchise is still riding that momentum.
>>
>>67527736
memes aside: Some people were suprised at the self-awareness of the movies script, I suppose. They just loved the fact that they got what they paid for.

Let me go into detail.
So the movie obviously took the parts of ANH that worked well:

The Protagonist From a Broken Home – Luke (ANH) – Rey (TFA)

The Guy Who Proves His Worth – Han (ANH) – Finn (TFA)
The Dashing (Sp)Ace Pilot – Han (ANH) – Poe (TFA)
(I guess the fact that they split these character traits between two characters may be one reason why the character of Poe is not really fleshed out and Finn's character arc basically ends at some point midway through – problematic. Doesn't necessarily make them shitty characters in general though)

The Father Figure (who sacrifices himself) – Obi-Wan (ANH) – Han (TFA)

The Cynically Evil Bureaucrat – Tarkin – Hux

The Paladin of Evil – Darth Vader – Kylo Ren

The Ultimate Weapon – Death Star – Starkiller Base

The "Animate" Plot Device – R2-D2 (+C-3PO) – BB8

The Big Ol' Dog – Chewbacca – Chewbacca

So they took all these parts (consciously leaving out the "Damsel in Distress") and shuffeled them around just enough so that it doesn't result in a TOTAL rehash (although the similarities to ANH in terms of basic plot points were too many for my taste), for example, whereas in ANH the character that drives the plot forward for the entire first half of the movie is Obi-Wan, that part falls to Finn in TFA.
Then they very consciously added a few bits and pieces here and there – for example making the Evil Guy's backstory an item from the get-go – but kept a close eye on the movie remaining easily digestible.

This way they ensured that the "Star Wars" label went beyond mere brand recognition and could lean back and let nostalgia do the rest.

And there you have it: Your 2 Giga Christmas Blockbuster.
>>
>>67527736
I watched TFA second time today. This movie doesn't bring anything new aside from the cast which is not really good in my opinion. SW movies will be making billions in the future but will they ever be good again as in original movies? I don't think so.
>>
>>67527736
It's fun
>>
>>67527736

Nostalgia. TFA was a steaming pile of Wookie shit, and a wasted opportunity to finish off the franchise in style.
>>
>>67530134
*the movie's script
>>
>>67527736
Nostalgia goes a long way.

See: Jurassic World
>>
>>67532371
ugh. To me, the question remains which movie is the worse offender in that regard.
>>
>>67527736
It's entertaining and has really good special effects.
The End.
>>
orig was cheesy goofy good

preqs were world-building good, but the large hordes of manchildren that complain about everything thought the prequels were shit because of how serious it was

seqs seem to be jja trying to copy the orig, with absolutely no development to story
He basically caved into to all the manchildren who want something like the originals so he made THE EXACT SAME FUCKING THING and everyone is happy about it
>>
>>67530134
Yes.
>>
Hopefully JJ has proven to the world that Starwars was always for kids was always shit and any positive reviews for the original 4,5,6 is just nostalgia
>>
>>67533181
Mwaaaahaaa, the French!
>>
>>67533181
Obviously...

Are you retarded?
>>
>>67527736
>memes aside

how am i supposed to discuss this flick then
>>
>>67527934
>Strong
>Rey
If by strong you mean bullshit then yeah
>>
It's incredibly boring and nothing special to look at, no interesting locations or designs
>>
>>67534631
'bullshit' is a very sophisticated assessment...
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.