[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>written by edgar wright >story by edgar wright why wasnt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5
File: ant-man-costume.jpg (75 KB, 1200x621) Image search: [Google]
ant-man-costume.jpg
75 KB, 1200x621
>written by edgar wright
>story by edgar wright
why wasnt edgar wright allowed to make his ant-man?
>>
He didn't want it part of the cinematic universe
>>
>>67409140
because edgar left production
>>
>>67409140
Cause he took so damn long to get production even started, and then looked like he was going to delay it again.

Marvel just wanted the fucking movie to go to theaters.
>>
>>67409166
which is why tony stark made ultron
>>
>>67409140
Should Edgar be given Justice League
>>
>>67409140
Studio Jews fucked him over.
>>
>>67409214
Josh Trank would be a good choice
>>
>>67409140
He wanted to make Rudd a fully fledged criminal instead of a thief with a heart of gold

Marvel didn't want a film with a protagonist that isn't archetypal hero because their films rigidly stick to formula.
>>
>>67409210
Well Ant Man was supposed to be the first Marvel film but since Edgar wright kept delaying it with changes and other shit so I am pretty sure he was supposed to make Ultron, not Stark.
>>
Because he took a fucking decade to make it because he kept focusing on other projects, and by the time he actually got around to it Marvel wanted something different.

Keep in mind Ant-Man was in production the same time Iron Man 1 was. If Wright actually made his movie as soon as he could he would have gotten what he wanted.
>>
EDGAR faggot Wright had 10 years to work on this movie and wasted time, it was supposed to come out before Iron Man 2 and the movie could have been whatever he wanted it to be

But because he waited the movie had to follow a plan, Avengers 2 is what happens when Directors are given more control over a movie, it turns into a cluster fuck of "muh vision"

Edgar just showed how much of a pretentious hipster faggot he was by leaving after wasting Marvels time for a decade
>>
>>67409395
This. If he stuck with it, he'd probably would have been able to get away with a lot of things since Marvel was just starting the cinematic universe. But since the dude waited too long, they already had a formula that they didn't want Wright ruining. Its Wright's fault really. The dude should of just made the film.
>>
>>67409140
Because it took him a decade to make it. He simply didn't want to. If he had, he wouldn't of worked on all of those other projects and we might have seen Ant-Man in phase 1 where he belonged (Not that the character doesn't work as is, but still)
>>
>>67409472
Ant-Man is one of the very, very few times where I agree wholeheartedly with the company instead of the filmmaker.
>>
Edgar Wright would have ruined it.
>>
Marvel saw that Edgar wasted his time making Scott Pilgrim and gave him the boot for wasting theirs
>>
I'm glad he didn't.

I like the Ant-Man we got.
>>
This thread taught me a lot. I had no idea Ant-Man could have potentially been more important to the current MCU.

What as Edgar's vision for it?

And I don't mind sacrificing it if it means we got Scott Pilgrim; I liked Scott Pilgrim.
>>
>>67409576
To be fair Scott Pilgrim turned out great. Also >>67409584
>>
He became a literal crybaby when the studio, which had successfully built a multi-billion dollar franchise during the years of pre-production, told him that the film had to fit into the series. Then he started screaming MUH ARTISTIC INTEGRITY, MUH ORIGINAL VISION and ragequit the project because he wasn't being catered to. This line of argument is especially moot after what James Gunn did with Guardians of the Galaxy.
>>
if you can't tell which parts were from Edgar Wright then you are a pleb

he wanted Michael Douglas to be Yellowjacket
>>
I don't get why he threw a bitch fit about it being in the MCU. The movie only had like 3 references to the MCU and that's it.
>>
>>67409140
Marvel is wising up and handing the reigns to unknown TV and journeyman directors who won't try to be auteurs and place their stamp on the franchise. They know they're basically making stretched-out TV series with long episodes, and they don't want some aspiring auteur trying to steer things stylistically in his own direction. They needed James Gunn for the first GotG because that movie had unknown source material and needed as much hype as possible around the cast and crew. Now that it's been a success, they'll probably drop him as soon as possible.

It's being seen everywhere in the capeshit world. Zack Snyder fumbled BvS because he was really passionate about bringing his vision of it to life. David Ayer will mangle Suicide Squad with his attempts to be gritty rather than cartoony. Michael Mann will do similar with his Justice League movies. Marvel has established a tentative tone and atmosphere for all their material, so it's time to cut costs, have unknowns direct. DC and Fox-Marvel are still struggling to get there so they keep hiring big name, or at least flavor of the month, directors to establish a tone that will last. But of course they're going about it all wrong. Fox-Marvel's only real home-run was Deadpool, but that movie, being the deviant R-rated 4th wall comedy that it was, is no basis for any kind of introduction or tone establishment the way Favreau's Iron Man was.
>>
>>67409646
>he wanted Michael Douglas to be Yellowjacket
That sounds really dumb considering Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas have great chemistry as the mater/student in the movie.
>>
>>67409614
>What as Edgar's vision for it?
Almost everything in the movie was Wright's vision. Think he largely was opposed to the SHIELD tie ins, the Benjamin Button open, and the Falcon subplot. He wanted it to be it's own contained story that didn't get hampered down by in-movie tie-in marketing.
>>
>>67409693
not as dumb as having le screaming bald guy as a villain
>>
>>67409532
You mean marvel vs Edgar wright or marvel vs whoever ended up directing?
>>
>>67409674
Not defending Wright's bitching but the Falcon scene was fairly long and is the moment Pym started respecting Scott more.
>>
>>67409764
I kinda liked having a generic business man in a suit as the villain.
>>
>>67409779
Marvel vs Wright.
>>
More like Edgar Didnt-write. Am I Wright?
>>
>>67409140
>didn't want it to be part of the MCU
>edgy and grimdark
>spent a decade in development hell
>>
>>67409532
True
>>
I don't get him not wanting it to be part of the MCU. Like he just didn't want references and set-ups? Or he actually didn't want this version of Antman to be canon in the MCU.

Either way, that's fucking retarded.
>>
>>67409722

I gotcha.

I didn't dislike the movie, but I wasn't floored by it, either--not the way I was so quickly charmed and taken by Scott Pilgrim. I can understand any director not wanting his stuff tied in to an overall marketing plot, but at this point, that's what Marvel movies are.

The Falcon fight was probably one of my favorite bits.
>>
Whose idea was it to have the scene with The Cure playing on the phone in the briefcase?

I need to know because that scene was really great.
>>
File: Down_with_Love.jpg (49 KB, 299x442) Image search: [Google]
Down_with_Love.jpg
49 KB, 299x442
We know Reed can do superheroes well and clean up someone else's mess. He could knock a period appropriate early 60's Fantastic Four out of the park.

Just make them relics of the past who end up in the present so we can have a real Dr. Doom fight everyone.
>>
File: 00090.png (927 KB, 1914x881) Image search: [Google]
00090.png
927 KB, 1914x881
>>67409140

Because Marvel wanted to make money.
>>
>>67409140
Hey, Edgar Wright here.

My take on it focused more on the heist movie aspects. It was still family friendly but they made it a bit more of a kids movie and, in my opinion, messed up the fathers and sons element that was the heart of my take on the material.

As for me 'taking ten years to do it', you realize that both myself and the producers at Marvel were regularly working on different projects throughout that decade, right? There were a number of reasons the film wasn't made in 2009 or 2010 and none of them had to do with me being lazy (though I am lazy on occasion), intact world's end was born out of Marvel stalling on Ant Man, not me. And I didn't like the idea of the Falcon sequence. I wanted the movie to work for people even of they'd never seen another marvel film and I stand by my opinion that that characters extended appearance would be confusing to many audience members.

Thanks everybody, have a good night guys.
>>
File: 1458359907637.jpg (206 KB, 852x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458359907637.jpg
206 KB, 852x1200
>>67409209
You fucking Marvel drones are absolutely delusional.

Edgar Wright is an auteur who wanted to bring his vision to the Ant Man comics and Marvel wanted to bring their usual studio meddling, safe and bland modes of filmmaking, making sure no one died and it all tied into the MCEU.
>>
>>67409870

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Ant Man in some form before the MCU was a 'thing'.
>>
>>67409722
Which is funny because these fucking movies don't even go to the effort of being inter connected that much. See Iron Man 3, Cap 2 and AoU and how the storylines contradict each other.

>>67409532
Yeah fuck creativity and artist integrity, just make more of these generic movies with the same exact tone
>>
>>67409140
Marvel told Edgar Wright was Edgar Wrong
>>
>>67409952
Peyton Reed here. Fuck you edgar fuck you i directef this shit
>>
>>67409952
I don't think Edgar would post on modern-day shitpost central that is /tv/.
>>
>>67409952
Kill yourself
>>
>>67409901
though the falcon scene is also the only obvious MCU reference
there are like 2 more little spoken references.
ant-man still is much more its own movie than the other tied in marvel capeshits.
>>
>>67409981
>Yeah fuck creativity and artist integrity, just make more of these generic movies with the same exact tone

That's literally Marvel's exact plan. They needed creativity at the beginning, but now they have an established cinematic universe with inertia, so they focus more on maintaining that than trying to shake it up with any individual's vision. Hence, Peyton Reed and the Russo brothers.
>>
File: 1444859467791.jpg (159 KB, 1242x1236) Image search: [Google]
1444859467791.jpg
159 KB, 1242x1236
>>67409634
This is literally one of the worst posts I've ever seen on here. This is why Hollywood is how it is; it's not them, it's the consumer. It's faggots like you. You'll be first in line to see Avengers 4534534. Fuck you, you probably thought TFA was amazing.
>>
>>67409722
Peyton Reed deliberately added things that were Wright's style.

Like Luis' flashback voiceover scenes
>>
>>67409981
>Yeah fuck creativity and artist integrity, just make more of these generic movies with the same exact tone
You can't really say this when Wright's problem was that he wasn't making the movie, you autist.
>>
Because after years of him begging for them to give him the green light after it happens they wanted to use a different script with more poorly written meme jokes.
>>
They let their movies be slightly different in tone. The Guardians guy was given freedom, Cap2 was different in tone etc.

If he had have just made the fucking movie he would have gotten his way.
>>
>>67410065
You sound extra salty today Zach, is your flick bombing in theaters?
>>
>>67409472
Yeah, because he could've just started filming without the green light of the studio that owns the character. I'm sure he wouldn't have received a "cease and desist" notice.
>>
>>67409952
I believe it.
>>
I reckon he was too busy banging Anna Kendrick.
>>
>>67410147
Hi Marveldrones, it's heading towards a record opening.
>>
>>67410065
No that post is basically right. Marvel producers are thinking ahead. If you wanna do capeshit, ya gotta have a plan to build it into a franchise. If you wanna do a franchise, ya gotta have stability. A bunch of established directors running around focusing on their own visions is not gonna give stability, that's what's fucking up DC and causing all these fits and starts in their movie series. Capeshit is a producer's genre, not an artist's genre. That's why I don't like capeshit. The behind the scenes stuff is fascinating tho.
>>
>>67410224
But they just swapped out Snyder for future installments. DC knows there's a problem.
>>
>>67410253
>A bunch of established directors running around focusing on their own visions is not gonna give stability
It's already been said that these movies aren't consistent to begin with.
>>
I enjoy watching Ant man, but don't remember anything from it. It wasn't memorable, same with most Marvel movies
>>
>>67409952

Scott Pilgrim sucked Fake Wright
>>
>>67410165
You know what I mean
>>
>>67410345
By who? Marvel movies have a pretty consistent tone.
>>
>>67410253
This.
It's also interesting to note that Marvel Publishing have learned this lesson the hard way in the nineties when their biggest artists left to create Image Comics. Marvel knows perfectly well that business and art/authorship doesn't always works.
>>
>>67410347

You don't remember the guard sanctioned prison rape of Scott Lang after he called the police officer sleeping with his wife a 'fucking pig faggot'?

I thought we'd largely ended that sort of tone in Superhero flicks after Raimi departed the Spiderman series so it certainly felt memorable and a refreshing callback to better times to me.
>>
>>67410345
They're all fast paced, relatively bright and clear lighting, balance of dramatic stakes with comic relief quips. No leading actor has been replaced.
>>
>>67410619
Plus lack of emphasis on the villains beyond their roles as a threat and basic foil to the heroes.
>>
>>67410756
I mean shit the Civil War movie literally just doesn't have a supervillain. It's one superhero team vs another superhero team
>>
>>67410817

Crossbones is there. Not sure that's refuting your point though.
>>
>>67409616

No

Not at all.

He missed the entire fucking point of why the comic books are liked. He focused on the shallowest part of them.
>>
>>67410880
Well i guess it would be unrealistic to have literally no villains as a future threat. They gotta keep dragging out that big purple man. But Crossbones is a great example of a villain who is just an enemy threat, not a character in his own right.
>>
>>67409964
So when is the auteur going to make ONE movie that will stand the test of time?
>>
>>67409964
That may be true but how can you deny the fact that it simply wasnt being made and that could of possibly been his fault? It was in development before even Iron Man.
>>
>>67409676
>Michael Mann
>Justice League
Wut?
>>
>>67410045
He is, or was, a big fan of urban dictionary, I don't think he has standards in the websites he uses.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.