[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Besides the moment where you go "why did they cast Gambino,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1
File: The-Martian.jpg (108 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The-Martian.jpg
108 KB, 1920x1080
Besides the moment where you go "why did they cast Gambino, whose dick did he have to suck to get that part?" are there any actual flaws to this movie, besides MAYBE runtime?
>>
Wasn't long enough. Too many conveniences, the outcome of a lot of scenes were heavily telegraphed (food shuttle launch).
>>
>Reddit-tier dialogue and humour
>Dumbed down science
>One problem arises, is solved within 3 minutes. Repeat for 3 hours.
>No sense of loneliness since it keeps cutting back to Earth/the other space ship every 30 seconds
>No tension because everything is immediately fixed
>Shit direction and acting, incapable of presenting any kind of emotion through non-verbal communication so they just resort to him talking to himself constantly
>Overly long
>Not enough Mackenzie Davis
>>
>>67401203
>Wasn't long enough

>needed to be longer

Lol, no one gives a shit after a movie after 2 and a half hours
>>
>>67401232
Give me some examples of "reddit tier" dialogue and humor
>>
>>67401361
>i'm retarded therefore everyone is

this is what american education teaches children
>>
>>67401493
Nah, there just isn't a need for it to be 3 hours, which is what your asking for if you want it longer than it already is.
>>
Honestly I just don't think it was that enjoyable to watch.

I mean, it's about a man stuck on mars trying to survive, that's literally everything there is to say about it. It gets carried by its concept but the Martian is one of those movies were you say "I'm glad I saw that movie! I never want to see it again!"
>>
>>67401203
Explain why it needed to be longer than 141 plus minutes.
>>
>>67401536
>"I'm glad I saw that movie!

So what's the issue here chief
>>
>>67401443
>I'm going to science the shit out of this.
>>
>>67401232
all of these, especially the science and lack of atmosphere aspects. It's beyond me how they could fuck up the pacing that much.
>>
>>67401044
>why did they cast Gambino

Anyone else here think he's not very good at anything? His hiphop is a bunch of over produced psuedo poetic rambling and corny similes to fool plebs into thinking he has skills, and his comedy was never original or clever.
>>
it wasnt entertaining, wasnt thrilling, didnt make me feel anything. It was a cheap ass rollercoaster ride.

i took nothing away from it. almost forgot about it already
>>
>>67401443
Sean Bean and the lotr reference
>>
>>67401443
Well, glover basically being a black sheldon was pretty goddamn reddit. Also "science the shit out of this."

Still, matt damon killed it.
>>
>>67401692
So... average marvel film with less jokes?
>>
I think a big problem it has is it's almost too happy.
No seriously. It's nice that guy stuck on Mars is so chipper about it but he spends one..I mean ONE scene being mad/upset about it and that's when the decompression pod malfunctions and breaks off, and he yells and slams the ceiling. That is all we get of him being upset about his predicament. In 2 and a half hours.

They could have left the happy scenes to jokes on Earth and his communication with the team. I get WHY they made him so ho-hum an such but you're almost like, complacent with him being stuck on Mars.

Oh by the way the above mentioned scene is the only actual problem he really runs into. Otherwise it's just like..truman show...one man truman show that is, with him on Mars

>>67401661
I didn't think he acted bad he just seemed out of place. Like hey here's all these smart scientists and shit and lets put in the overly smart kid. Like he couldn't even be fucked to wear a suit? Kids in a t-shirt, his "office" all messy like a teenagers room etc. etc. If they were trying to get across that he was young, I get it, but they made him seem like he was 18.
>>
>>67401564
insufficient conflict and trivialization of the passage of time.

Although what I want might have been for the movie to be exclusively on mars.
>>
>>67401769
yes. kinda like ant-man. i completely forgot about it already, not that it was bad. But it was mass produced garbage.
>>
>>67401749
>>67401630
You both have given me one line in a 2 and a half hour film. Reddit tier dialogue indeed.
>>
>>67401661
>hiphop is a bunch of over produced psuedo poetic rambling and corny similes to fool plebs
That's not really unique to glover though.
>>
It was a good flick but I can understand why /tv/ cucks would be butthurt about it
>>
>>67401661
Never seen him in that comedy show, so I cant speak for his acting. I saw him live at SXSW in 2014 and he was pretty fucking good. It was the first I had heard of him. Either way, he's a manlet so who gives a fuck
>>
>the butthurt from casting a black actor for an indian character
The only good thing to come from this movie
>>
>>67401829
Wait, donald glover didn't have any lines in your version?

is stormfront editing black people out of movies now?

Where do I get these movies?
>>
One thing that really bothered me was that apparently Watney has no family or any relations on Earth, at all. The people he is most concerned about and vice versa are the other Ares crew members.
>>
>>67401044
I'M GONNA SCIENCE THE SHIT OUTTA THIS
>>
>>67401878
something about how the only people who want to leave earth are the people with no stake in it.
>>
>>67401859
Remember, more diversity just means more blacks.

>>67401915
>doesn't have parents
>doesn't have friends
>doesn't have girlfriend/wife
JUST LIKE US
>>
>>67401878
He does though, he explicitly tells them to tell his parents what happened and explain it to them if he doesn't make it.

What is actually odd is they never show up. I mean..it's not like the whole world knew about Watney or anything. Oh wait
>>
>>67401947
Well, blacks are the only race with federal laws surrounding their employment/representation.
>>
>>67401962
Most likely a side-effect of the book taking place entirely on mars, being told through transcripts of watney's audiologs.
>>
>>67401859
It's morel like the butthurt from casting a what the fuck why did you cast THIS particular black guy
>>
>>67401947
>>67401973
The funny thing is that the black guy is from Britain and not an African-American.
>>
>>67401858
I was talking about his stand up. All of his stand up jokes I've seen have been rehashes of other jokes or general water cooler / frat boy observational humor.
>>
>>67401044
Because the movie is just
>there's a problem
>oh nvm i figured it out

There's basically no struggle or conflict. Matt Damon doesn't change at a character either, he's just the wacky reddit guy from beginning to end.
>>
Who else read the book?

I hate to use the tired "the book is way better" because that's always the case, but the production of this movie seemed much more focused on recreating the setting of the story instead of the desperation of the story.

Incredible work in the set and style, and top notch casting (save for Gambino)- but the atmosphere of desperation wasn't really there. The only moments I can think of that bring this from the novel into the movie were when he was crying during the take off from Mars and his opening monologue about how fucked he is (save for the Science the Reddit out of this line).

Basically they made being stuck on Mars seem like an awesome vacation and not a constant problem that needed to be solved.
>>
>>67401795
sounds more like some script issues than run time. I just can't make an argument for the movie needing another half an hour. And getting into 3 hour territory for a film, just to make the passage of time seem longer is pretty silly to me, sorry.

It does jump ahead in the days that pass but by the time they actually get around to the rescue mission plenty of time has passed to establish shit. I think the problem may have been not spending enough of the time given on mars, not that it needs to be longer.
>>
>>67401044
they slungshot around the world to gain speed to get back to mars, but then they stopped to take on the cargo module
>>
>>67402154
>Sigh… water.

>In high school, I played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons. (You may not have guessed this Botanist / Mechanical Engineer was a bit of a nerd in high school, but indeed I was). In the game I played a Cleric. One of the magic spells I could cast was “Create Water”. I always thought it was a really stupid spell, and it never came up. Boy what I wouldn’t give to be able to do that in real life right now.

The only thing the book does better is explaining the science. Everything else about it was shit.
>>
>>67402011
Isn't adapting it to film something you're supposed to do when you're you know, making the script?

I mean, it's just jarring his parents are mentioned that one time and literally never appear or anything. I'd say the situations a fairly significant reason to talk to your son
>>
>>67402038
Doesn't matter.

The law is that poorly worded.
>>
>>67401044
The Martian is culturally irrelevant and thematically devoid of introspection.

It's like a do-it-yourself youtube video on Mars. Pretty fucking shallow when you compare it to other films about space that explore humanity, society, and technology.
>>
>>67401779
Pretty much this OP.

Still I can't even argue it's a bad film, but it does have some flaws.
>>
I'm just imagining how much cooler the first 'making contact with Earth' scene would have been if we only saw it from Watneys side
>>
>dumbed down science

Why do people always say this. I mean is this a huge negative for science buffs or do regular movie goers have this complaint about space movies? There is no other way to convey it to the majority of people who have no clue what you're talking about if they're gonna clutter the script with a bunch of mumbo jumbo 90% of the people watching aren't going to be able to follow.

What honestly is an alternative to doing this? Either you dumb it down a little so it can be followed by most or you keep it down to the letter complicated and "proper" and risk for no reason other than "look how legitimate were being" losing your audience.

I just don't feel it's a strong trade off to do the latter.
>>
>>67402257
>It's like a do-it-yourself youtube video on Mars

I think that person would die on Mars.
>>
>>67402462
I cant argue for keeping it complex because I don't know enough space science shit to know what they dumbed down. That said something sounded really fictional about the whole using Earth's pull to lunch back towards mars or whatever the fuck that was. Or maybe it was just because Gambino explained it.
>>
>>67401779
>Too happy

So was the book
>>
I'M SCREAMIN WHAT THE FUCK IS UP LIKE I AIN'T SEE THE SKY
>>
>>67402228
..and then in 2 minutes he already has plan he's implementing to retrieve water.

Water is vital but it doesn't feel vital in a movie when the problem is solved before the audience is done processing it. This deflates the desperation of the entire story.
>>
>>67402702
Are you defending it with that or saying it's a flaw of both
>>
>>67401661
he pisses me off in Community, his music is really bad and it pisses me off that people compare him to Chance
>>
>>67401630
>>67401749
>>67401721
These are straight from the book. Blame the source material, not the movie.
>>
>>67402849
Okay so the source material is reddit tier too, congrats. I only imagine it being even worse to read that shit line on a page.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.