[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Watchman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: p178016_p_v8_ah.jpg (414 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p178016_p_v8_ah.jpg
414 KB, 960x1440
So I saw that someone here said they liked this movie and no one called him retarded. Does /tv/ actually approve of this shit?
>>
It's Snyder's best film and that's not saying much
>>
its actually good. Go back to that other site pleb
>>
>>67378558
Anyone who likes this movie, or any Snyder movie for that matter, should be gassed for their shit taste.
>>
>>67378558

Best capeshit. It really makes you think and Rorschrach was a cool guy.
>>
Probably a teen

an edgy teen like every fan of this piece of shit movie
>>
>>67378558
>>67378632
>>67378681

>they never read the book
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
>mfw they shopped dr. Manhattan in a pair of underwear for the poster
>>
>>67378558
its okay. decent adaptation
>>
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 200x300
>>67378697

>edgy teen

this honestly. if someone says they like watchmen, then they probably like pic related as well.
>>
>>67378756

I own all twelve issues nigger. Go back to your rotten tomato circle jerk
>>
>>67378756
The squid monster would have never worked anyways.
>>
>>67378756
>you never read the book
possibly the most accurate adaptation to film yet, dont give me that shit.
>>
>>67378756
Considering its one of those movies that was stuck in development hell for decades, I thought Snyder did a good job interpreting it even though they changed the ending to Dr. Manhattan taking the blame instead of aliens.
No one can ever compare to Alan Moore though.
>>
was the comic book just as edgy as the movie? if it is, can snyder really be blamed?
>>
>reading a book about superheroes

I cannot imagine anything plebbier.
>>
>>67378816
you can adapt visuals well while missing the point completely
seems to be snyder's m.o.
>>
>>67378900
Yes, it's probably what drew Snyder to the material in the first place.
>>
>>67378900
It's Alan Moore so yes
>>
>>67378756
>book
>>
File: Ayyy lmao.png (283 KB, 480x438) Image search: [Google]
Ayyy lmao.png
283 KB, 480x438
>>67378558
>Rorschach was a cool guy
>Rest of the movie was 2 adults fucking, blue dongs and pretentious shit

Shame, I'd watch a Rorschach spin off by another director.
JUST
>>
I saw the first 30 minutes but had to stop
>muh dark and gritty
>muh slow mo
>muh close up punching
>>
If you think Watchmen is a good adaptation of the comic Watchmen then congratulations, because you understand Watchmen exactly as much as Zack Snyder.
>>
>>67379225
hack schneider missed the point completely
>>
>>67378797
There's literally nothing wrong with liking Watchmen
There's literally nothing wrong with liking Donnie Darko

R-Right?
>>
>>67379828
Watchmen misunderstands all the themes of the comic
Donnie Darko seems to be made for the first time a teenager injects weed
>>
the movie is terrible because Snyder doesn't understand the source material. it's like a 15 year old read the comic and just cut and copied the entire thing to a movie screen. it's pretty much the best example of a movie that is so faithful to the comic that it suffers due to it.

the biggest problem with it is the acting. everyone other than rorschach and Dr Manhattan are fucking terrible. he turned ozy into a dweeb super villain and completely dropped ozy reasoning behind what he did

I don't know how someone who read the comic actually liked this movie
>>
>>67378558
>i like the marvel universe
>>
Zack Snyder didn't understand that Watchmen was making fun of the comic superhero tropes. Also the colorfulness of the original was gone and it was full of unnecessary violence. It felt like "What If Watchmen Was Made By Frank Miller"
>>
>>67382030
Also David Hayter ruined the whole story by changing the ending. The reason why Comedian went batshit was because he saw the "Squid" on that island. It was a Lovecraft reference. Comedian didn't seem like the type of guy that would go to his arch nemesis' home crying in the middle of the night if he just saw Veidt's plans of shooting beams to different countries. Also the whole point of the Squid was that it couldn't be linked to any of the countries. Mr. Manhattan being used as the weapon links it to America. But I guess that's what you get when the guy who directed Wolves and cries about everything in Twitter to write your film for you.
>>
File: gaynakedbabycat.jpg (96 KB, 500x613) Image search: [Google]
gaynakedbabycat.jpg
96 KB, 500x613
Best comic book movie to date. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>67382030
>>67382152

If you wanted the squid, just admit you wanted the movie to fail.
>>
>>67382232
Well, it failed anyway. So with the squid it would've been an interesting failure.
>>
>>67382152
>dr. Manhattan linked to America
>destroys NYC

You really are a retard, opinion discarded
>>
>>67382207
TDK exists in this universe.
>>
>>67382284
You think the other countries would care? They would still blame it on America. They even say that "The Superman exists and he's American."
>>
File: 1364191952698.png (243 KB, 514x527) Image search: [Google]
1364191952698.png
243 KB, 514x527
>Snyder went through the trouble of including fight scenes that weren't even in the comic and dragging them out to like 5 minutes apiece with start stop slow motion and had the heroes, who don't even have super powers, punch people through the air across rooms and just snap arms in half and shit
>>
>>67382284
>Flaunt superweapon as American for like 30 years
>Completely run over Vietnam with the power of this superweapon
>Use it as your main deterrent against Russia in the boiling over Cold War

>Superweapon backfires blowing up one or two of your cities, along with cities all over the world

You are a fucking dumbass if you think the rest of the world would be sympathetic to America after that.
>>
>>67382384
You don't have to be sympathetic to have a common enemy. America gains nothing by losing its main financial center in the country, so there would be no reason for us to be behind the attack. It created a common enemy that every country would rally against. Obviously there would be some backlash against America, but war? No way.
>>
>>67381968
>Watchmeme
>Marvel

Pick one fudge face
>>
>>67382622
Not only are you underestimating the paranoia of the period, you're assuming anyone would believe or even care cities in other countries were destroyed. The US would instantly assume manhattan had defected, the USSR would instantly assume manhattan had launched the first strike, both sides would have then launched their entire arsenal. Which at the peak of the cold war, was enough to make every inch of the planet "ground zero" 800 some times.
>>
>>67382152

I don't know what bothers me more: Comedian going batshit, the group calling themselves the Watchmen or Bubastis still being there.
>>
>>67382771
You are forgetting the fact that literally after it happens they get reports that the same type of blast occurred in Moscow. This was the 1980s, it's not like it took days for information to travel. And while there was tension between the US and USSR, the blasts also occurred in Tokyo and a bunch of other random cities, which would atleast make both sides pause and make them wonder why non essential sites would be hit first. not too mention if dr Manhattan actually wanted to attack/ defect for one side or the other, he wouldn't just blow up one city and call it quits, it would be multiple locations in that country at once.
>>
>>67378900
It wasn't nearly as gory, except the final issue,. which was far more so.
Edge isn't good or bad, you just have to know how to use it.
>>
>>67382938
Yea, you're a legitimate retard with nothing resembling a clue what hes talking about.

The paranoia was practically tangible during the cold war. If any russian city vanished, every russian nuke would be in the air, meaning every US nuke would have to be in the air as well. Mutually assured destruction. They may have found out, later, from the within the presidential/kremlin fallout shelters, that both US and USSR cities were destroyed. But you can't un-nuke the planet.
>>
File: 1443038324993.gif (1 MB, 356x321) Image search: [Google]
1443038324993.gif
1 MB, 356x321
>>67382030
Frank Miller pre-Sin City is legit great though, I wonder what happened to him.
>>
>>67382207
Ghost World, Road to Perdition, and Weird Science exist.
>>
>>67383057
believe it or not anon people actually have a will to continue living, it's why we haven't nuked ourselves yet. Once again it would not be an immideate retalation without confirmation that multiple nukes were inbound, something they were cable of determining during that time period. There was an actual case during either the 70s or 80s where a computer malfunctioned and Said a single nuke was inbound for a Russian military base, how did the Russians respond? Not with full immediate nuke response like a bunch of retards. And Not only would they get reports of their own city being hit, but also ones around the world. Try to think logically next time, life is not a video game. Or Better yet actually read some books on the Cold War so you don't seem so foolish.
>>
>>67382622
>You don't have to be sympathetic to have a common enemy.

And the common enemy for the world would be America because their weapon got out of hand and blew up major cities in every country around the world.

The movie's ending would result in the world having a common enemy, it would be America. America would be fucking crucified by world powers for perceived crimes. There is no way America could claim they had no involvement when it was their weapon, that they had loudly and publicly claimed for 30 fucking years, that did all the damage.

>B-BUT HE YELLED AT A TV REPORTER TWO DAYS AGO!
>>
>>67383321
Oh sweet summer child. Let me try one more time to explain this to you.

>the cold war is the most irrational/insane point of human history
>two superpowers willing to destroy the ENTIRE PLANET if one side ever gains a legitimate egde
>alan moore proposes that the only way to resolve this situation is by introducing something even more insane
>snyder changes this to a situation that requires two completely insane superpowers to act completely logically and rationally in response to their cities being destroyed by an american superweapon

There is no way snyder's ending results in anything but global nuclear holocaust.
>>
>>67383057
>If any russian city vanished, every russian nuke would be in the air, meaning every US nuke would have to be in the air as well.

This. If Russia thought that America's big bad blue guy had attacked them by making an entire city disappear, they wouldn't wait to fire the missiles. The comic book's ending is sillier, but makes way more sense because there's no way to mistake a giant squid corpse blowing everyone's brains up with psychic energies for an American attack. The cities were completely intact in the aftermath, if I remember correctly, just that there was fucking blood and bodies everywhere.
>>
>>67383728
>cities
The squid only killed NYC.
Also, Russia wouldn't need to do anything. Look up Dead Hand.
>>
>>67378756

I did read the book, and this is pretty close to it other than the ending. I enjoyed it.
>>
>>67382284
The problem with Manhatten is that it ignores the hypertension that was the Cold War. By the book's conclusion America and Russia are at defcon 2 over the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. Any attack believed to be from the US would be met with retaliation, with no chance for an establishment of communication.

The Squid solution, one that is forgotten in all this, is that Veidt had been prepping humanity for the last 2 decades with mind altering drugs and meditations to be susceptible to the Squid's psychic feedback (thanks to the human brain he put in the thing). Immediately after the drop, people would receive the images of invasion and alien catastrophe

Unbelievable compared fo Manhattan blast? Yeah, but that's the point. To combat nuclear arms racing towards the doomsday clock, Ozymandias created the most repugnant and grotesque solution, one that would immediately sicken even the cynical Comedian, who would understand the need for such a drastic measure

Pottery
>>
>>67378756

>muh squid monster

everytime
>>
>>67378756
you mean the manga?
>>
>>67378756
>book
Muh respectable medium
>>
>>67378900
I didn't get an edgy vibe because the drama was nicely built up and the darker elements are all relatively justified.

I guess rorschrach is really edgy no matter what though.
>>
>>67383415
different guy, but I felt like the "irrationality" wasn't portrayed very explicitly if at all.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.