[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>this is R2D2's part of the map you have 10^230932 seconds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 33
File: peBpMLB.png (2 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
peBpMLB.png
2 MB, 1920x800
>this is R2D2's part of the map

you have 10^230932 seconds to explain why they didn't just look in this region of space or cross-reference the map they had with other maps in the galaxy.
>>
bump. 0 replies. i win haha
>>
Why are you assuming there's an accurate map of the whole Galaxy out there?

If anything it's going to be harder than real-life mapping. There are still places on Earth that we haven't mapped.
>>
>>67364290
This is a movie

NOT real life. 90% of the viewers who pay to see this wont give a fuck.

This isnt some art house film, its purely a money making tool for Disney. Silly little detail like this wont effect the income of this movie at all.

Stop being so autistic and move on with your life.
>>
>>67364290
What does the map show? Some kind of Jedi space pilgrimage?
>>
>>67364290
you do there are a million plot holes in every sw movie it's not why we like them
>>
As Douglas Adams said,
> Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
>>
File: AyctmV6.png (2 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
AyctmV6.png
2 MB, 1920x800
>>67364290
no, you see, this part of the map is extremely important!

pic related
>>
>>67364425
Luke's GPS route.
>>
>>67364416
>JUST TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF XD
>>
>>67364435
star wars is real life now??
>>
Anon....

Do you not know how fucking vast space is? And in Star Wars, you don't often go off the beaten path (space lanes) just looking for planets.
>>
>>67364290
They still didn't know where in that space they had to look
>>
>>67364290
1. R2 has been looking for that map in his databanks for essentially as long as Luke's been in hiding.

2. As-is, R2's and the First Order's map portions are basically the start of the trail. BB-8's, which is the end of the map and shows the destination, could be any part of the galaxy without pairing it up correctly with at least another chunk of the map.
>>
>>67364377
I'd buy it if it was at least on the periphery or blocked off by some kind of celestial anomaly that makes space travel all but impossible, but it's literally just a huge chunk of galaxy that apparently nobody bothered to go to for no reason
Imagine if you were mapping out north america but then just left the equivalent of two or three states totally blank for no reason. People would wonder why
>>
Because R2 wouldn't boot up so they couldn't cross reference
>>
>>67364290
It's a movie for kids
>>
>>67364493
Well which is it, faggot? You want to hold a plot device in a space fantasy movie to realistic standards and when someone provides a rational explanation you say LMAO STAR WARS ISN'T REALISTIC

Fuck off
>>
>>67364435
I'm so fucking tired of that quote
>>
>>67364290
This looks like completing a quest in video game.
>>
The Prequels were way bette than this shit movie
>>
Why does the original space map have a convenient jigsaw-shaped hole?

If they were going to divide the map up somehow, wouldn't hexes or tessellated triangles make more sense?
>>
>>67364486
yes. it is fantasy adventure for children. have fun
>>
>>67364486
You are going to have issues if you obsess over entertainment like this

Why not put this obsession into something useful to better your life? Nitpicking and obsessing over movies is pretty unhealthy and in the end, pointless.
>>
It was a big map for them.
>>
>>67364290

well, it's a fucking great film so turn your brain off. literally:

Anakin
>9 years old at the time of Episode 1
>Fabled "chosen one" to bring balance to the force
>Wins in pod race despite all odds stacked against him
>Haphazardly destroys a space station by pushing random buttons
>Not a Mary Sue

Luke
>19 years old
>Whisked away by happenstance into an intergalactic war
>Pulls off rescue of important political figure in the rebellion
>Has only flown civilian aircraft before stepping into a starfighter
>Avoids getting shot down by Vader because of "the force"
>Manages to pull off a near-impossible mission and destroy the Death Star
>Not a Mary Sue

Rey
>Proficient with technology
>Proficient with hand-to-hand weapons (her staff) before even picking up a lightsaber
>Resistant to use of the force against her
>Beats a dumbass emo kid in a lightsaber duel who is already wounded after Chewie shoots him, and who hasn't even completed his dark side training
>Somehow a Mary Sue
>>
>>67364435
I always thought this is really shallow and stupid way to put it. Why is this quote so famous?
>>
>>67364290
holy fucking shit, do you even look at the map?
it's not about the part of the universe, it's about the exact location of Luke
there's a billion planets he could've gone to, knowing them all wouldn't ease up the exploration

>>67364653
4u
>>
>>67364567
this guy is right. give him more (you)'s
>>
>>67364567
>Imagine if you were mapping out north america but then just left the equivalent of two or three states totally blank for no reason. People would wonder why

That's what happened, though. The bits by the coasts and major rivers were mapped out much sooner than the inner bits. So it'd be like knowing he's in America somewhere, but you don't know the exact spot because you've only got reliable maps of the east and west coasts, needing a trapper's map of the interior of the continent to really find him. Except it's on a galactic scale, so you're not searching one continent but several planets and asteroids and shit.
>>
File: 912-7w25small.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1448) Image search: [Google]
912-7w25small.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1448
>>67364567
you realize it was exactly like that in the real world, right?
>>
>>67364750

Couldn't they put the template over a known map of the galaxy and then figure out the missing section? This can't be the ONLY map out there of this particular section
>>
>>67364681

forgot to add about Rey:

>Knows the Falcon better than Han
>Learns how to Blaster in one minute
>Learns how to Jedi mind trick in one minute
>Learns how to use the force to grab objects in one minute
>Leai mourns Han with her despite knowing her for like 2 hours instead of with Chewie
>for some reason is send to find Luke all by herself despite Luke being really important and just knowing her for 1 minute.
>gets captured, scapes with ease
>>
>>67364377
>>67364552

Couldn't they have just found it the Kamino way?
>>
>>67364290
>>67364290
complaining about details in a franchise where doors all open with blaster shots to the controls
>>
>>67364924
which doesnt make her different from certain characters in older movies either
>>
>>67364924
>>for some reason is send to find Luke all by herself despite Luke being really important and just knowing her for 1 minute.
well, that bit make sense since she is a jedi

you could probably add her piloting/mechanic skills to the list.
>>
>trying to find logic in the shitty writing of a 21st century normie action movie
>>
>>67364486
>EVERYTHING THINGS TO BE GROUNDED IN REALITY. NO CREATIVITY OR WONDER ALLOWED
>>
>>67364290
turn your fucking brain off you fucking retard
>>
>>67364896
The point is that there ISN'T a reliable map of the whole galaxy, just like there weren't reliable maps of the whole of America. They've got reliable maps for the bits that have got reliable hyperspace trails, just like we had maps of America for the bits that had reliable rivers and trails to travel by. Even if you know in what area Luke is, you still need functioning hyperspace coordinates configured to not take a lifetime to get there or run into an unknown star or planet in your path, just like you'd have to know a trail or river that would let you go the whole way without running into a chasm or mountain range.
>>
Do you fucking pathetic nerd fucks not realize that they literally create plot lines that 5 year olds can comprehend?
>>
Why were they dressed like they were still in the 70s star wars yet the dialogue was modern?
>>
>>67365053
she had to be a mechanic her whole life to not starve. I will never get the piloting skills, though. I assume a speeder is completely differetn from an interstellar spaceship. Is having the force=being a good pilot?
>>
File: spaceXYO2v.jpg (999 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
spaceXYO2v.jpg
999 KB, 1920x1080
You can't really map space accurately anyway since absolutely everything is moving in different directions all the time.
>>
>>67364290
it doesn't even make sense that they needed a map when a coordinate and planet should have been enough even for a system in uncharted space.
>>
>>67365147
That's why I'm not a fan, sorry cucks.
>>
>>67364924
She's a scrapper and an engineer, and force sensitive
Stormtroopers are dumb as fuck also she knows about jedi legends
>Leai mourns Han with her despite knowing her for like 2 hours instead of with Chewie
Leia is a notorius speciesist after the raped by jabba incident
>for some reason is send to find Luke all by herself despite Luke being really important and just knowing her for 1 minute.
Only other force sensitive known to the rebels.
has inside help
>>
They know what that area of space looks like, but the map isn't to find several hundred thousand planets, it's to find one man.

It's just a clearer way of visualizing it, adding a further red line onto the existing map wouldn't seem as dramatic.
>>
>>67365231
and what would've been a reference point in space?
to top that, you need 3 coordinates in measures that are accurate enough to point to a planet + movement like >>67365217 pointed out

a map that shows all planets can actually be used to pinpoint the "exact" planet
>>
>>67365217
in cosmological terms, stars don't move that quickly relative to each other or to fixed points of reference like the center of the galaxy. you can't "lose" a star, and a map could be a computer simulation which takes orbits into account.
>>
>>67364924

I can't believe there's people who actually think this. She knew about the modifications to the Falcon that had been made after it got stolen from Han. How hard is that to follow?
>>
>>67364972
I don't think they had another 50's Cafe, nor an old friend Dexter Jettster, nor were their pocketbooks big enough
>>
>>67365340
[coordinate of star system] [information about planet's orbit]

oh look I solved the "problem"

if for some reason you needed a map that would stay accurate for millions of years, you could include information about the projected position of the star system.

there are literally games incorporating scale-models of the galaxy now, you know.
>>
Fucking hell OP, just go to the doctors and tell them you think you're on the spectrum.
>>
>>67365433
She completes Han's sentences for him and she even pointed out a couple mistakes Han did. Movie was trying to tell she is as good as han and even better all the time
>>
In Star Wars they travel by 'jumping' to coordinates. The map of the galaxy is just a bunch of safe coordinates where if you jump to them, you won't jump into a star or planet and explode. The coordinates to the first Jedi temple are probably so old that only a handful of databases have them recorded.
>>
>>67365131
Couldn't they put the template over a known map of the galaxy and then figure out the missing section? This can't be the ONLY map out there of this particular section
>>
>>67365515
>there are literally games incorporating scale-models of the galaxy now, you know.
name 2
>>
File: DexterHS-SWE.jpg (76 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
DexterHS-SWE.jpg
76 KB, 360x480
>>67365504
>>67364972

This.

Are you telling me that they couldn't just pull a Kamino or was pic related just an abnormal super-genius

By the way, what happened to him? Did he survive Sheev's wrath
>>
>>67365515
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Galactic_coordinates.JPG
again, what's the reference point in a galaxy where there's million of races with billions of planets and stars
it's easier in real life, actually
>>
>>67364290
Splitting the map in two was fucking stupid any way. That was some real Saturday morning cartoon Disney channel bullshit.
>>
>I'm running away to live in self-imposed exile cuz I fucked up lmao
>btw here's a map to where I am
>>
>>67365845
see:
>>67365761
You can't just look around space since it would take thousands of years of slowly traveling to find whatever you're looking for and you can't just use hyperdrive to jump all around the area because you risk jumping into objects and exploding. You either have the coordinates to the planet or you never find it.
>>
File: Aurebesh-GMSR.png (93 KB, 1327x945) Image search: [Google]
Aurebesh-GMSR.png
93 KB, 1327x945
>>67364445
Can someone translate this?
>>
>>67364884
That map always makes me laugh
>>
>>67364290
Hey anon, I live in planet earth. Come on and find me.
>>
>>67366006
Luke found the planet because R2 had it in his database from constantly stealing information from the Empire during the OT.
>>
>>67366045
You do it, nigger
You're paid to shill not play riddle me this with 4chan
>>
>>67364290
it wouldn't have Luke's path on it ya dingus.
>>
File: jack_annoyed.jpg (59 KB, 209x260) Image search: [Google]
jack_annoyed.jpg
59 KB, 209x260
>>67364684
Are you saying space isn't big?
>>
>>67366045
>>67364445
it says endor
>>
If Force users are rare or a lot of them are dead but cloning technology exists, why doesn't either side just make clones of force users?

Make a Darth Vader clone or something and raise him purely in the ways of the dark/light side having never known anything else or some shit
>>
>>67366175
Not as big as your mum
>>
>>67366175
not at all. I said what I said.
>>
Sorry if I'm being retarded but who made the map and gave it to whoever it was that originally had it?
>>
>>67364435
upboat
>>
>>67366314
In the EU they actually did this. Palpatine made clones of himself that his spirit would go to when he died. The thing with that though is since midichlorians were introduced in TPM it's been hard to reproduce force ability. For example, General Grevious had blood with midichlorians pumped into him and he still didn't get the force. In the new canon none of that is possible because the force is a spiritual thing and if the force doesn't want you cloning Jedi it won't let you.
>>
>>67364290
The real question is why the fuck did R2 suddenly turn back on when Han died? Did he and Luke have a falling out and he told Leia not to speak to him again until she leaves that son of a bitch lowlife?
>>
>the whole plot of TFA is a fucking video game quest to get map pieces
Thank you JewJew
>>
I wont. This movie sucks major dick.
>>
>>67366472
luke turned him on
>>
>>67366435
>In the new canon none of that is possible because the force is a spiritual

But don't midichlorians and midichlorian count shit still exist?
>>
>>67366472
>>67366352
To answer both of you guys, R2 got the map from constantly logging into Imperial records during the Galactic Civil War. When Luke left R2 decided to sit and organize the thousands of thousands of files he had stored in him knowing that he would be finished by the time Luke needed him. You could say R2 trusted in the force in a sense even though he doesn't have the force. Almost like a dog being smart enough to drag a kid out of a burning house or something.
>>
File: 1434608234701.jpg (46 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1434608234701.jpg
46 KB, 480x720
>>67364684
>not knowing who based Douglas Adams is

go away, filthy illiterate scum
>>
>>67364750
The point is that this entire chunk of the map is missing. Everything else has been mapped out. There is nothing to indicate any reason NOT to go in there, either, so whereas a lack of water sources might make sense for failing to explore a desert, there's nothing to show that that area is particularly dangerous or inhospitable.

It's like having a puzzle with 200 pieces and you've got two left. It's understandable to put the big chunks together at the beginning so you've only got some areas filled in, but if you're down to those spots then why haven't you begun nibbling at the edges at all? Why is there no information?
>>
>>67366586
Yeah but it's weird. Midichlorians are more like force radiation. It's basically something that happens if the force fucks with you a lot. It's why Anakin had high levels of midichlorians, because the force made him the chosen one. They don't necessarily mean you have the force though and this is actually one of the ways the Jedi fucked up in the prequels, they trusted too much in midichlorians. For example, Han probably has a really high midichlorian count being a close friend of Luke while going on adventures to decide the fate of the galaxy, but that doesn't mean he can use the force.
>>
>>67364681
That was mostly the work of veterans Obi-Wan Kenobi, the experienced Han Solo, and Leia
He did training programs in Tatooine
No he blew up the Death Star with the Force. He avoids getting killed by Vader because Han pulled in.

See Luke is one 4 heroes in Star Wars, he gets the last hoorah which is sensible because he's the main protagonist. The Force Awakens is Rey helping an old man and a dopey black sidekick get their shit together.
>>
>>67366654
see:
>>67365761
>>67366007
>>
because space is huge and there are probably hundreds of thousands of stars in that area with countless planets
>>
>>67366593
>R2 trusted in the force
R2 personally witnessed the rise and fall of the jedi and sith, personally, front row fucking seat. If there is one being in the universe that understands how terrible the force is as a thing to "trust" in, its the plucky little astromech.
>>
>>67366593

How does that give the route to Luke's position though?
>>
>>67365913
>what's the reference point in a galaxy

Coruscant, duh
>>
>>67366721
Still bullshit. If jumping is the only way to get somewhere then no one would have explored anything, ever therefore slow exploration is indeed the norm, and it should be in an area that, again, has no indications of being particularly dangerous and is towards the center of the galaxy. You cannot tell me that the people living on planets adjacent to the Big Black Darkness didn't go exploring and have their own maps to provide.
>>
What the fuck did you say to me you little bitch don't you even have a clue how large the universe is? Maybe your tinymind can't process JJ Abrams genius huh. Fuck you
>>
>>67366082
Then how did R2 randomly lose a chunk of it?
>>
>>67365761
>In Star Wars they travel by 'jumping' to coordinates.
No, they "jump" into hyperspace, which is some n-dimensional non euclidean universe that kind of exists concurrently with ours. They still follow a straight line through hyperspace that isn't occupied by anything more substantial than interstellar dust.
>>
>>67366169
>it wouldn't have Luke's path on it ya dingus.

implying you couldn't just trace out luke's route, he obviously didn't start zig zagging after that point
>>
>>67366826

But finn can see the super weapon fire from that unrealistically large death star and see it split to other planets which are clearly close together from what we see, this means that all the solar system and planets in star wars are really close together nowhere near the scale of our universe, this is literally canon
>>
>>67366777
Because Sheev was probably looking for the first Jedi temple too since in the new canon the Sith were formed by a single Jedi that decided to join the dark side and in nucanon Sheev has shown interest in the origins of the Sith.
>>67366808
They explain this in Rebels. There are some space manta ray things that naturally go through hyperspace and one day someone probably put a tracker on them, found the safe coordinates they went to, reverse engineered a dead space manta ray, made a hyperdrive, then jumped to the safe coordinates.
>>67366842
Idk. They'll probably explain it in some comic or something.
>>67366845
I don't think that's how hyperdrive works in nucanon.
>>
>>67366951
Well, not all of them, but yes, it does establish that the scales are different from what we know.
>>
>>67366808
Exactly.

There'd have to be maps of that area somewhere, just by the law of averages. And when you get them, you can just use R2's map as a template and cross-check it.
>>
>>67366808
> then no one would have explored anything

They did, but they spent entire life-times doing it the slow way. They don't have the time to slowly map their way through the part of space where Luke's supposed to be.
>>
>>67366968
>They explain this in Rebels.
That's not TFA so it's irrelevant.
>>
>>67366968
>Idk. They'll probably explain it in some comic or something.

Nah, your theory is BULLSHIT
>>
>>67367008
So go to the edges and ask people there for maps.
>>
>>67367012
>implying teh first jedi didn't get by on space whales
>>
>>67366045
>Can't even read aurebesh
What a fag
>>
why don't star wars fags have any kind of knowledge of space or how big it is

an area like that probably has millions of planets and many of them uncharted

lets say they find the planet luke is on

how the fuck are they gonna find his exact location? he lives in a fucking cave
>>
File: LorSanTekka.png (540 KB, 477x636) Image search: [Google]
LorSanTekka.png
540 KB, 477x636
>>67364290

Only one person has the answer to your question: Lor San Tekka.
>>
>>67367136
A lot of ships have devices that tell you how many lifeforms are on a planet and where they are. You could probably engineer that to tell you human only lifeforms too to figure out where Luke is.
>>
>>67364884
>was
They didn't have carriages that could literally travel lightyears in hours when they made that map, though.
And the Star Wars universe has had ships like that for thousands of years.
What's their excuse.
>>
>>67367136
>implying the cave was marked on BB8's map
>implying Rey didn't just feel a connection to the force on the planet
>>
>>67367191

they had a fleet of star destroyers who couldn't find the millenium falcon and yet im supposed to believe that shit?

hahahaha, this isn't star trek. take your non-canon EU shit the fuck out of here.
>>
Either way, the whole "Map to Luke's Whereabouts" thing would've been way better if it had been just a simple "the map R2D2 has is encrypted and we need to find a way to decrypt it."
>>
>>67367259
It's actually a concept from Rebels. Also in TFA Han says the Falcon is a 'safe ship' probably meaning it can't be tracked. Similar to someone from /g/ having a computer that's very hard to track.
>>
>>67364652
>>You are going to have issues if you obsess over entertainment like this
>he says while posting on /tv/
Go back to whatever shithole you came from
>>
>>67364326
cringe
>>
>ctrl + f
>"jedi archive"
>no results

you dumb niggers
of course luke deleted it from the jedi archives before leaving. What, did you think Abrams left plot holes in or something?
>>
>>67364924
>>Leai mourns Han with her despite knowing her for like 2 hours instead of with Chewie
Leia and Rey never met that TFA showed, EpVIII might prove different before they destroyed Starkiller Base.
>>
>>67367416
>implying jedi networks are centralized
>not having a ring topology to protect information in each jedi temple
>>
>>67367470
lol JJ even admitted it was a mistake. what a cuck. our man Lucas wouldn't ever accept a mistake and force the EU to work it in to some random plot.
>>
>>67367535
>each jedi temple
Good one.
All they had off coruscant where farming communes for all the force sensitive kids to shit to become jedi
>>
>>67364290

Or better yet you have until this thread dies to explain why R2-D2 woke up at the perfect time to complete the map.
>>
>>67364684
It's called bathos. It's a form of irony. The effect you described was intentional on the behalf of the author, an internationally famous british writer, famous for his comic space operas.
>>
>>67367416
You're forgetting the Jedi archives were destroyed after episode 3.
>>
>>67367604
Because he found the map in his database at that moment.
It's one of the many coincidences in the movie, but he didn't just "wake up for no reason."
>>
Space is 3D dumb fucks. The find the planet, you need coordinates in three dinensions. Plus planets are MOVING around a star and there are literally billions of stars in a galaxy. This is like saying just because you have a map of India (which is where OP is from since he posts shit a lot) I automagically know which shoddy lean to shanty that OP squats in.
>>
>>67364290
>space is 2-dimensional in star wars
Isn't this the bigger issue?
>>
>>67364290
That much of an entire galaxy is still like millions of stars dude, that would take tons of time to explore still anyway
>>
>>67367604
>you have until this thread dies

Oh, there'll be another thread, my friend. And another one, and another, and another, and another, into infinity, until all the stars have gone out.
>>
>>67364681
>it's a fucking great film
wew lad
>>
>>67367579

>Makes a mistake on one of the most obseessed about movies ever known in modern day information era

Jesus christ JJ, go back to being a teacher or something.
>>
>>67364290
Looks to me like a map of the whole galaxy.

That missing chunk is a fucking massive area of space. They needed to know precisely where Luke was in that giant gap.

It's hard enough finding one man on a single planet.
>>
>>67367703
it isnt 2d
>>
File: 1458770238104.png (2 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
1458770238104.png
2 MB, 1920x800
Curiouser
>>
>>67367604
luke
>>
>>67366006

>I screwed up
>I better run

Luke would of never run and abandoned his friends. He would do what ever he could to try to prevent kylo from turning to the dark side, luke should still be able to feel the good in kylo.

Speaking of witch, do we know the reason why kylo is the way he is? Was it really just out of jealousy that he might never be as strong as luke or his grandfather?
>>
>>67367703
This is a map of the galaxy, not the universe. Relatively flat galaxies exist.
>>
>>67367636
I read almost all of his stuff and I like it, but this line is just weak and yet it gets quoted by everyone and their mother
>>
>>67367703
A spiral galaxy is roughly as 2D as is portrayed in the movie.
>>
>>67366435

I like to think that over time obi-wan and yoda forgot the fundamentals of the force over time and the whole midichloreain stuff.
>>
who gave dameron the missing piece?
>>
File: bravo.png (3 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
bravo.png
3 MB, 1920x800
>>67367945
this is a good map now that I look at it.
>>
File: 1456713332050.gif (517 KB, 245x150) Image search: [Google]
1456713332050.gif
517 KB, 245x150
>>67367945
Also the map is backwards. It's perfect from their point of view, except the fact that the words would be backwards.
>>
>>67364290
What was the point of putting the other part of the map in BB-8 if it would have been more secure in the "low-power mode" R2 that nobody (for some fucking reason) expected to have part of the map in the first place?
>>
>>67368080
Who are you trying to impress?
>>
Why were the other parts important? They only needed R2's part
>>
>>67368106
They didn't have the part of the map that was in the flashdrive that BB-8 held.
Poe got the flashdrive from von Sydow on Jakku.
>>
>>67368227
>von Sydow
and who was this prick
>>
>>67368123
>impress
Why so negative anon?
Look at any galaxy map they made for the prequels, or even EU content like Empire at War, and you'll see that they used the same map.
I'm surprised because this contradicts the theory that Abrams was going to ignore the prequels entirely as fanservice to reddit.
>>
>>67368227
Why didn't R2-D2 even have the whole map in the first place? Why didn't Luke just give it to him? Splitting the map actually attracted more attention to it than keep it safe.

Also is von Sydow that guy that appears for like 1 second in the hut on Jakku and is then executed?
>>
File: wp_ss_20141021_0007.png (276 KB, 702x703) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20141021_0007.png
276 KB, 702x703
>>67368438
>>
>>67368227
why would they need this part anyway
>>
>>67364435
In reality JJ is a hack who does not give a fuck.
>>
>>67368438
>as fanservice to reddit.
OR to not ahve even more bullshit in his movie
>>
>>67368591
Good point. He's not even treating the original trilogy as canon either.
All for the best though, this means Luke's father can get an actual name instead of some bullshit Lucas pulled out of his Buddhist handbook.
>>
>>67368591
I really wouldn't have minded since XII was pretty empty actually. Nothing happened.
>>
>>67364435
>I have no idea what Im talking about, but here is a popcultural reference
You sound like a gamergirl with quotes like this
>>
>>67367328
Nah, he said that they were going to Maz in order to EXCHANGE the Falcon for a safe ship, because the First Order knew the droid and the girl were aboard it through the surviving mobster.
>>
>>67364377
just point a fucking telescope in the direction of the empty bit, vallah.
>>
>>67365597
She doesn't complete Han's sentences. It's Han who complete hers.

And she doesn't point out his mistakes, but those HER BOSS made with the modifications: specifically the compressor on the hyperdrive.
>>
>>67364480
he shouldn't have taken his phone if he didn't want to be tracked.
>>
>>67366006
Luke didn't even really fuck up, the responsibility lies on Luke, Leia, and Kylo.
>>
>>67369740
Luke is a white male.
>>
>>67364290
that is pretty dumb. R2 should have had the smaller "key" piece to the final destination.
>>
>>67364681

X-Wings have the exact same control system as T-16's.

He got saved by Han and had several of his friends.
>>
>>67364290
Do you know how fucking big space is?

You know how fuck huge that size of a chunk of a galaxy is?
>>
File: 1456855323800.webm (3 MB, 1218x520) Image search: [Google]
1456855323800.webm
3 MB, 1218x520
>>67364681

With the help of others, and Leia herself.
>>
>>67368073
>who gave dameron the missing piece?

see: >>67367156
>>
>>67369888
if it fits in a robot that small it can't be big
>>
>>67369830
Sure, but he was also protected by the Force. Vader says it himself, when no one is there to protect him and Han hasn't shown up yet.
>>
That space alone probably has more than 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets seeing that it's a map of a galaxy.

Either way, Star Wars franchise is stupid.
>>
>>67369897
it's a nice shot, but wow does the CG ruin that fall.
So fake.
>>
>>67369810
>that is pretty dumb. R2 should have had the smaller "key" piece to the final destination.

If you had the smaller key piece, there's literally no point of the bigger one.
>>
>>67369941
That doesn't mean he wouldn't have gotten BTFO if Han hadn't saved him (that's kind of the point of why it's a big deal when Han shows up at the last minute and why it's a tense scene), so your point is moot.
>>
>>67364924
Her boss owned it for years and she's good at mechanical engineering because it was her job.
>Learns how to Blaster in one minute
It's never said she had never used a blaster before. When Han hands it to her she indicates that she knows how to use one. We watch her learn how to use a new blaster, not a blaster for the first time. And compare her to Leia and Luke and essentially every protagonist ever, they're always crack shots.
We watch her "awakening" literally a minute before that.
>Learns how to use the force to grab objects in one minute
Seems pretty intuitive tbqhwyf. Luke was doing hand stands and balancing gremlins while levitating shit after a few days of training. Plus, Yoda made it pretty explicitly clear in EST that the light side of the force is basically powered by optimism. There is no try. Whatever happened in the "awakening" obviously had a significant effect on her will to do. Meanwhile, Kylo's entire arc is about his lack of confidence and self-doubt. Plus their light sabers are connected to their force powers, Luke Skywalker's light saber isn't going to fly to same angsty dark side jabroni if a light side person is also calling it.
They walk off the Falcon, and Rey is the first one to approach Leia. everytime you dipshits repeat this complaint it gets more and more goofy.
If she's Luke's daughter Leia knows who she is.
Weird definition of the term "ease."
>>
>>67369956
NO YOU DUMB SHIT

THE POINT IS, IS THIS THE ONLY MAP OF THE GALAXY?

DO ALL MAPS OF THE STAR WARS GALAXY HAVE A MASSIVE WHOLE IN THEM?

IF NOT, WHY DON'T YOU JUST CROSS-CHECK THIS MAP WITH OTHER MAPS.

YOU STUPID DUMB PIECE OF SHIT

JJ FUCKING SUCKS YOU DISNEY SHEKEL-COLLECTOR
>>
>>67370048
hothead makes best post.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (72 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
72 KB, 1000x1000
WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM HALF OF THE COORDINATES

WHY DID THEY GIVE HIM LITERALLY PART OF THE MAP LIKE IS SOME SORRY OF GOD DAMN PUZZLE

THIS IS THE ONLY PART OF THE MOVIE I WAS LEGITIMATELY UPSET AT

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING
>>
>in space, you can still hear the autists scream
>>
File: 1458290136060.jpg (40 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
1458290136060.jpg
40 KB, 236x236
>Galaxy
>Systems
>Planets
>a map of places the move at crazy speeds in reference to the center of the galaxy and each other

lol
>>
>>67370048

DO ALL MAPS OF THE STAR WARS GALAXY HAVE A MASSIVE WHOLE IN THEM?

Even bigger in general. There's half the Galaxy they never bothered to put on the explore and call "Unknown Regions". What's surprising is that there isn't MORE gaps in the map.
>>
>>67364290
Do you have any idea how big space is?
>>
File: 145360063558.jpg (185 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
145360063558.jpg
185 KB, 1680x1050
>He first made a map to an uncharted corner of the galaxy

>Then he went there

92% indeed
>>
>>67364290
because this is an uninspired children's movie
>>
>>67364884
>Part of South America

But which part is it Steve?
I don't give a shit Adam, I'm trying to draw the Carribee Islands right now. Don't worry, we'll find out before we send it to the printers.
>>
>all the technology in star wars
>hurdur space is too big to map!!
We have mapped out solar system with prinitive technology in comparison
>>
File: Blank_US_Map.png (336 KB, 2000x1237) Image search: [Google]
Blank_US_Map.png
336 KB, 2000x1237
>>67364750
>gee, i wonder where he could be?
>>
>>67370372
yeah, but star wars took place a long time ago, which means we have better technology
>>
>>67370421
Cool, now find which specific town he's in.

Or you know, you just got a map of a specific province in China. But none of the other maps you have covers Asia.
>>
>>67370104
>THIS IS THE ONLY PART OF THE MOVIE I WAS LEGITIMATELY UPSET AT
Are you narcoleptic?
>>
>Star Wars: Knights of the OLD Republic
>HK-47: "Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

>Star Wars TFA
>R2D2: "Beep boop! :D"
>BB8: "Wrooo xD"
>C3PO: "Oh hush you two"

Did AI just shit itself somewhere in the Star Wars timeline? You have FTL travel, anti-gravity, and even the ability to blow up planets and shit, yet no competent machine anywhere in any film ever.
>>
>>67370421
OK now do that with billions of planets
>>
File: x-files.png (994 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
x-files.png
994 KB, 1024x768
>>67370421
>>
>>67370630
That is the most fedora wearing robot in all of Star Wars and I'm glad the EU is not canon and in the trash
>>
>>67370630
>>67370733

"And together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

Is there something wrong with me if I think this is actually a pretty good definition of love?
>>
>>67364435
>>67364416
These. Kill yourselves, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>67370873
you might be autistic
>>
File: 1451810504265.png (464 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
1451810504265.png
464 KB, 878x900
>Trash compactor reference
>>
>>67364290
The two parts should have just been jumbles of nonsense until they were joined and they did this cool rearranging shit and formed a legible map. At least it would have settled my slight autism a bit and been a more memorable moment.

Still liked the movie a lot though
>>
>>67371607
why we never saw her face :( her voice made my dick hard
>>
>>67371711
>her voice made my dick hard

Same, but I've long since learned that when a voice makes your dick hard, DO NOT link it to a face.
>>
>>67372033
>but I've long since learned that when a voice makes your dick hard, DO NOT link it to a face.
>call somewhere to make an appointment
>girl sounds cute as fuck
>shameless flirt
>look forward to your appointment
>walk in
>ham beast with a sweet voice says hi
>turn 360 degrees and walk away
>>
File: What doth my binoculars view.jpg (69 KB, 562x530) Image search: [Google]
What doth my binoculars view.jpg
69 KB, 562x530
>>67366968
>They explain this in Rebels. There are some space manta ray things that naturally go through hyperspace and one day someone probably put a tracker on them, found the safe coordinates they went to, reverse engineered a dead space manta ray, made a hyperdrive, then jumped to the safe coordinates.
>>
>>67364290
well there's a big chunk missing? could be several solar systems. does this seem like enough information to find one person?
>>
File: My face when American.jpg (6 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
My face when American.jpg
6 KB, 250x236
>>67367066
Disney has successfully managed to fuck the franchise worse than the old EU.
>>
>>67367416
The Jedi archives are on Coruscant, which is still in imperial territory.

Luke has probably never even seen the planet.
>>
>>67373142
The ewok pan flute band finale shows that coruscant fell as well.
>>
>>67367973
Yeah Jew Jew making Luke a coward in canon is the biggest insult to it all.
>>
>>67367973
>would of
yeah I'll totally read the rest
>>
>>67368367
According to the character bio in the book this comes from, Von Sydow is a member of a force cult that worships the Jedi.
>>
File: yoda forever.gif (1 MB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
yoda forever.gif
1 MB, 500x278
>>67373254
>tfw old jedi master retreats to hermitage in the face of a galactic war and the spread of the dark side is now a coward
>>
File: really.jpg (25 KB, 597x597) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
25 KB, 597x597
>>67364290
star wars is such garbage...
>>
they didn't know that R2 had the map
>>
>>67364884
How fucking lazy were the brits to just name everything the same as their fag brit homelands but put the word "New" in front of it? Good riddance.
>>
>>67370630
They are obviously just rolling with what was established in a time where the idea of a real time translator was as fantastical as a robot so they made a translator a robot and a Swiss army knife a robot.

Obviously these days a single software update would render C3-P0 obsolete.
>>
>>67371607
>She's the next Bobba Fett
>Taken out by a single tackle and then literally into the trash they go

They kind of pulled a bait and switch on this girl power stuff.
>>
My theory while watching was the map was based on an ancient perspectev outside from abother galaxy for a moment I thought they wrre going to introduce an extra galactic threat... reality was lamer
>>
>>67373193
That is true if the special editions are canon, but the Disney canon is that the galaxy has been split in half between the Empire and New Republic. Coruscant is in the empire half and is still the imperial capital.

So I'm guessing Snoke went full final solution on any dissenters.
>>
>>67373420

BB8 KINDA SORTA THOUGHT THAT MAYBE R2 MIGHT POSSIBLY HAVE SOME VAGUE KNOWLEDGE OF LUKE'S WHEREABOUTS

THAT MEANS THAT EVERY PERSON IN THE RESISTANCE KNEW R2 HAD THE MAP
>>
>>67364290
I torrented this today and watched half and deleted it
Anyone who thought it was good or met expectations should leave this board forever
>>
>>67373365
Luke isn't Yoda, friend.

Even Obi-One didn't become a coward when he went into isolation and still actively fought the empire as well as being in Rogue One helping to get the deathstar plans.

Only Yoda did the become a coward and spend your days smoking Degoba green thing.
>>
>the people in ITT making excuses for JJ are the same people who couldn't appreciate BvS
>>
>>67373714
But Snoke is confirmed from coming from out of the galaxy.
>>
>>67373758
Why the fuck did BB8 try and wake up R2 when he would have been shut down for years at that point? 3PO even explained it like it was the first time he was told, which is retarded when BB8 is acting like it is friends with R2.

It was a terrible way to hamfist some exposition.
>>
>>67364426
The thing is, when your story has plot holes, you tell the parts of the story that aren't the plot holes. If it's a good enough story, your audience won't care too much later on, when they realize the parts you left out were the parts that didn't make sense.

What you *don't* do is throw those parts up on the screen like "lol everybody has plotholes".
>>
>>67366045
I'm already learning Farsi
>>
>>67365340
The reference point would be the black hole at the center of the galaxy and it;'s rotation.
>>
File: dildo.jpg (93 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
dildo.jpg
93 KB, 400x399
>>67364290
>2d representation of the galaxy with 3d holograph technology
JJ is such a hack
>>
>>67364290
4 words. Space is fucking enormous.

Trying to find Luke without a complete map would be like walking from Saskatoon, Canada to Houston Texas, while deaf, blind and dumb, in order to step on a specific ant that bit you the last time you were down there for a Texans game.
Space travel in SW is just a matter of positioning yourself in the proper place (so you don't fly through a star and kill everything on board), and hyper-jumping to the coordinates. Are you telling me that they'd spend billions of lifetimes cruising around to every star system in that enourmous chunk of the galaxy, in order to find Luke on one? No, no they wouldn't.
>>
>>67364480
literally this
it is the path to the planet we now know
as Ahch-to
>>
>>67373813
to be fair, there's nothing on dagobah and I don't think his escape pod was equipped to make a two-way trip.
>>
Get this fucking autist who won't stop posting about how big space is out of here.
Jesus

Take it to /sci/ retard
>>
>>67370733
You've lost the ability to appreciate
>>
I think certain people need to realise how big space really is.
>>
>>67365406
this. Nasa already does this, in fact we know every asteroid that will hit us in the next 100 years and where. Mapping the entire universe is a lot harder but I... well I guess the star wars galaxy is fairly low-tech. They have lots of power and spaceships and advanced weapons but on the science end of things I feel like they might not have sattellites and huge computer models. They're more on the construction/engineering side of things.
>>
File: 1442183641025.png (119 KB, 547x609) Image search: [Google]
1442183641025.png
119 KB, 547x609
>>67368080
>Daghobah
>>
>>67369728

I don't know why you bother to deal with children with adhd who can't focus for 2 hours. If they were normal, maybe they would have realized that most of their silly questions were answered in the movie.
>>
File: 1450682764004.png (452 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
1450682764004.png
452 KB, 878x900
Im more pissed off that R2 just happened to KNOW when to wake up at the right moment for no fucking reason other than "oh, heres your map piece"

Even that part of the galaxy if cross referenced with older starcharts would've taken time to find luke since jumping to hyperspace isnt like dusting crops, one small miscalculation can sending you hurting into an asteroid or supernova...oh righht, they say fuck you to that rule as well and give Han ultra nano-second reactions in cutting off the hyperdrive JUST as the falcon get under Starkilelrs shields. Bra-fucking-vo JJ
>>
>>67364486
Turn off the part of your brain that gives you autism.
>>
>>67364884
Haha what a shitty map
>>
>>67364377
>There are still places on Earth that we haven't mapped.
For lack of time, resources, etc. If there was a specific part of, say, the Amazon rainforest we wanted or needed to know of, we'd send a team to map it and get it done.
>>
another plothole
how did the order always even knew where rey was?
all the stormtroopers who saw her were shoot on sight
>>
>>67366842
>Then how did R2 randomly lose a chunk of it?
He didn't. The intel was split up to make it harder to find him.
>>
>>67366350
Space is big bruh. Get your fax strayt
>>
>>67366515
>the whole plot of TFA is a fucking video game quest to get map pieces
Almost like videogames copied the formula in action adventure movies or something.

Can we add "videogame" to the list of criticism maymay buzzwords that have lost all meaning? It means literally nothing, all screenplays, particularly in the adventure genre, are maguffin quests with checkpoints.

Criticizing an adventure story for having "video game" qualities is like calling a person an ape because they have thumbs.
>>
>>67376035
The found her at Maz's because the spies in the bar reported them. They found her in Jakku because Hux sent a squad down to find the droid.

>all the stormtroopers who saw her were shoot on sight
Was there an instance where they interacted with her that wasn't an active battle?
>>
>>67373813
>obi wan in rogue one
you got sauce on that?
>>
File: you're kidding, right.jpg (39 KB, 552x739) Image search: [Google]
you're kidding, right.jpg
39 KB, 552x739
>>67364290
>>67364326
>you have 10^230932 seconds
>universe is <10^18 seconds old
>op claims win after <10^2 seconds
>mfw

also >>67364580
>>
>>67374347
It's not 2D
Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.