[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9
File: watchmen.jpg (6 KB, 160x129) Image search: [Google]
watchmen.jpg
6 KB, 160x129
What went wrong?
>>
Hack Snyder
>>
>>67358976
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 194x259
>>67358976
>i disliked watchmen
>>
>>67358976
It was pretty good. Having Dr. M being scapegoated as the cause for disaster twist was fitting with the transition from comic to capeshit. The fucking squid was a play on dumb comic book shit and the epic twist hero blamed for bad thing is a play on dumb capeshit. Like poetry.
>>
It's a good movie but its main problem is that it stays too faithful to the source material, it's not a coincidence that the best part is its opening sequence.
If you meant why wasn't a success: people go to see a movie about superheroes expecting a dumb action movie full of pew pew heroic things, not a thriller with characters that outsmart the viewer.
>>
>>67359202
Well in my opinion, making Dr.Mandong the scapegoat was a bad idea. The reason being that he was officially a weapon used by the US and associated with their military. So wouldnt the Russians blame the USA for the destructuon of their cities ? Just imo.
>>
>>67359202
I took the comic alien to be part of an elaborate practical joke; the grand daddyvof all jokes that would bring about world piece
>>
>>67358976
nothing, Watchmen is the roots of cape kino
>>
>>67358976
>the source material

Honestly this would have been better has a high budget Netflix/HBO show than a film. People could digest it better and they could take their time nailing all the themes and layering the characters. I hate Snyder but he did the best he could with the material and format.
>>
the fight scenes
the whole point of watchmen is only dr manhattan had super powers
in the movie they could jump 5ft straight up and punch through concrete
>>
>>67358976
Trying to film an unfilmable comic
>>
>>67359398
That's why Ozy blew up American cities as well you fucking idiot
>>
>>67358976
went about as well as could be expected,

just have to mention that I really hated the retarded 'NOOOOOOOO!' add in after Dr. Manhattan kills Rorschach
>>
>>67358976
Big blue cock
>>
>>67360712
because the US government would never kill its own people, for political ends...
>>
>>67360766
a clear sign that they had no idea that the movie wasn't working until post-production. Snyder is literally a non-writer who has no facility for anything beyond visuals.
>>
>>67358976

Should never have been a movie in the first place. It works as a good grim parody of comic books and all of their tropes, but in a film you just wind up with a half dozen unlikable characters, a wandering boring plot, strange asides, and a non-ending that really put people off. Would have worked better as an HBO / Netflix 3-4 part miniseries.

That opening sequence is fucking wonderful tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUDdQS2UxA

>>67360596

As someone who didn't read the comic this confused the ever-living fuck out of me. The whole time I was constantly asking myself if these are supposed to be regular (if insane) people or are they low-grade super heroes or what.
>>
>>67359202
Dr Manhattan fucks off to space anyways. how is he a threat then?
>>
>>67360816
For what political ends? World peace?
>>
>>67360874
yeah it ruined the main theme that they were all just deeply flawed human beans
>>
>>67359832
speaking of, wasnt there some news that they were going to make a watchmen series?
>>
>>67359387
pretty much this. Watchmen was never really blockbuster material to begin with.
>>
>>67360986

Well it was easy to see how the comedian and rorschach were flawed. The former was a sociopath and the latter was a fascist but people liked him because he was a "cool" punisher type. Owl-man came off as too much of an every-man and they didn't do a good job explaining why he was so shit, and no one paid attention to the slut in latex except during the sex scene in the space-ship.
>>
>>67360955
in real life, the exact opposite of world peace. as far as the context of the movie goes plausible deniability
>>
File: watchmen_dr-manhattan2.jpg (107 KB, 783x796) Image search: [Google]
watchmen_dr-manhattan2.jpg
107 KB, 783x796
>the world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite.

Explain to me the basis of his arrogance here. He started out as a human, not even the world's smartest human. This means his level of power is reachable by a human, and if that was the case then it wouldn't be unthinkable for a group of humans at least as smart as him to reverse engineer this process.
>>
>>67360910
I guess no one was supposed to know that he left
>>
>>67358976
nothing
its actually great pleb filter
>>
>>67361297
>Explain to me the basis of his arrogance here.
There's nothing to explain, it just is arrogance. Ozy was smarter than him.
>>
>>67360874
>That opening sequence is fucking wonderful tho.
really great but I wonder if it flew over the heads of most people who never read Watchmen.
>>
File: loyalty-to-the-end.jpg (38 KB, 740x390) Image search: [Google]
loyalty-to-the-end.jpg
38 KB, 740x390
>>67360955
>>
>>67361297
I could be wrong but wasn't Dr. Manhattan created by freak accident that could not be replicated?

I mean why wouldn't the government make more if they could?
>>
dr manhattan could put his body back together because his father was a watchmaker

explain

wouldn't it make more sense for a doctor to be able to do this?
>>
File: 1458500436737.gif (582 KB, 425x304) Image search: [Google]
1458500436737.gif
582 KB, 425x304
>>67360799
when I saw this there was a black woman in the audience that laughed so hard at seeing blue cock that she had to leave the theater.

I'll never fucking forget.
>>
Was never meant to be translated onto screen. Far too many nuances were lost when it made the transition to film.

Even as a standalone film and ignoring that the source material exists, the movie's riddled with bad pacing and an almost non sequitur ending that only really "works" if you've read the source material; thus, negating everything I fucking said.

People that like this movie are generally stupid, anyway.
>>
>>67361166
>Owl-man came off as too much of an every-man and they didn't do a good job explaining why he was so shit
This, in the comic it's very clear that every hero is deeply flawed in some way. In the movie Nite Owl seems like a nice guy who doesn't have any horrible flaws.
>>
File: 1441002337352.jpg (48 KB, 400x336) Image search: [Google]
1441002337352.jpg
48 KB, 400x336
>smartest being in the universe
>sees no problem killing tens of millions to spare a hypothetical billion
>real coldwar ended without a nuclear holocaust
Good foresight there dickhead
>>
>>67361409
a clock maker understands the importance of time ;)
>>
>>67361483
The cold war was escalating in the Watchmen universe though, that's the point
>>
this movie ripped off code geass
>>
>>67361297
>>the world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite.
> Explain to me the basis of his arrogance here.
Not arrogance. He lives across time. No way Quentin can harm him.
>>
>>67361516
Doctor Manhattan could've watched dr. Strangelove and realize no one wants to be the guy to destroy civilization
>>
>>67361549
You're like the mouth-breathers who thought the Ender's Game movie ripped off Evangelion.
>>
>>67361554
Except his vision was already blocked by the tachyons.
>>
>>67360910
Go watch/read the watchmen ending again. The whole point was that the peace they made was as temperamental as everything else.
>>
>>67361562
You don't have to commit to being the guy who destroys civilisation, as long as you can convince yourself that you're just hitting the other guy (because you've been told to/because you think it's the right thing to do/etc.) and if he hits back and it starts a big fight that's not your problem you'd be able to press the button when you're told to, and there are plenty of people who think like that.
>>
>>67361337
It doesn't matter if Ozy is smarter, Dr.M could phase him out of existence in the blink of an eye

>>67361297
The fact that no clones appear during the movie is proof that there can only be one Dr.M .
He can get away with arrogance because he's 100% right and nobody can stop him.
>>
>>67361753
The fact that they disintegrated him and blinded him with tachyons means the technology is achievable by science

Do you honestly think being a watchmaker's son makes you such a special snowflake?
>>
>>67361680
Dr.Manhattan doesn't care, mi compa, he would have synthesized loaves of bread out of iron if they asked him to.
Once you've achieved Godhood, why give a fuck about humanity?
>>
>>67361680
pretty much
>>
>>67361901
We're talking about Ozy not Manhattan
>>
I liked it

Left out tons of shit, so it seems far more linear plot-wise than the source material, but that was the only way to translate it to kino.

Replacing the retarded comic ending was a good call too
>>
>>67361753
The termite analogy makes no sense

It's like a human saying termites can't harm him when there's a precedent for termites spontaneously evolving into a human
>>
I could go through shot for shot, beat for beat and tell you why this is an ugly, stupid film, but its existence makes me too depressed. Suffice it to say it missed the point of the original work, lifted what didn't need to be lifted and left out what shouldn't have been left out
>>
File: Manhattan thinking.jpg (498 KB, 905x1430) Image search: [Google]
Manhattan thinking.jpg
498 KB, 905x1430
It was decent movie, one of the better comic book movies, he just missed many things what made the graphic novel so great. I didn't feel the ''end is near'' feeling, melancholy nor the desperation in the atmosphere that can be found in the comic.
>>
File: TErPK.jpg (78 KB, 746x388) Image search: [Google]
TErPK.jpg
78 KB, 746x388
>>67362292
Liar. You love this movie, I can read it right off your smug post.
>>
>>67362297
fucking Manhattan ;_;
>>
File: s-snydeeeeeeeeeeeer!.jpg (63 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
s-snydeeeeeeeeeeeer!.jpg
63 KB, 633x758
I wish this movie was good
why it isn't
fuck this, I fucking hate Snyder, I bet the cohen brothers could make a fantastic version
>>
>>67358976
They took a story praised for its subtlty, grit and complexity and gave it to a man who makes simple, glitzy action-fests.
>>
>>67361297
if this guy is so smart and can see the past and future, how did they get to him with that cancer stuff?
>>
>>67363325
He didn't bother to look at that.
>>
>>67363389
how convinient
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.