[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of The Knick?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5
File: theknick.jpg (134 KB, 1000x767) Image search: [Google]
theknick.jpg
134 KB, 1000x767
>while /tv/ was discussing star wars and comic books they slept on one of the best dramas on television and now the show is over

I went in thinking it would be another House ripoff period drama bullshit but it's actually amazing. The surgery scenes can be absolutely brutal.

that final surgery/death scene - jesus christ
>>
did not fully enjoy s2
>>
>94% rating on RT
>no replies

pretty disappointed in you /tv/
>>
>>67349696
>literally nihilism the show
everyone on this board should watch this
>>
I've seen all the #prestige TV shows that constantly appear on top 10 lists and The Knick is by far my favourite TV show of all time. I really do believe this will be one of those shows that will get it's due in a long time.

The reason why I love The Knick so much is because I'm interested in medicine, science, history and Soderbergh is one of my favourite directors. Soderbergh's direction and cinematography, the sets and costumes, that music are so enchanting. I also find the characters to be extremely compelling and felt that everyone got the perfect amount of screen time and every character's arc was satisfying.

I absolutely can't wait to see where it goes. I'm really hoping the next director that takes the helm is a high level auteur like Soderbergh. It probably will be from everything I've read about post-season 2.
>>
>>67349696
9/10 TV

Best show on the air after Fargo
>>
I watched some episodes until the SJW vibe became too insufferable

Seriously why do they have to inject it into everything nowadays?
>>
>>67350389
Kill yourself loser
>>
you will never douse it :(

2nd season isn't as great but still good
>>
I'm a squeamish baby so I can't stand this stuff
>>
It's too good to be discussed here. And for those who don't know Soderbergh has expressed interest in returning for Season 3.
>>
>>67350389
>sjw elements btfo by the end of season 2

which is appropriate given the setting. not everything is an evil agenda anon.
>>
>>67349989
>sjw vibe

You guys say that about anything that dosen't buy into your redpill bullshit
>>
>>67350389

You fucking people are so wound up in your own weird world that everything is some SJW conspiracy. You should keep an eye on your mailwomyn, she's a protester for sure.
>>
>>67350389
absolutely insufferable
>>
>>67349696
>best dramas
SJW shit fest
whites are scum of course, but blacks are gary sue
>>
Is there a group of idiots that raid every thread with the word SJW.?
Do you understand that you do more damage to the show than good.
>>
>>67350467
>by the end of season 2
?
its in ep1 already. negro: gary sue
white docs: incompetent, narcistic, drugaddicts
>>
>>67350612

emotional cripples who are sexually frustrated search out an echo chamber of their personal misery and you end up with some profoundly emotionally skewed adolescents that truly believe their delusion.
>>
>>67350591
>>67350659
literally reverse tumblr
>>
>>67350389
DIAF (die in a fire).
>>
>>67350591
/pol/ let you out?

Hate to break it to you dude, but whites WERE absolute dicks to blacks back then. There is no "of course" about it.
>>
It had a black main character that wasn't a violent rapist/ murderer. SJW bullshit, I know enough about black guys from my white freinds to know this doesn't exist.
>>
>>67349696
It's kinda shit.
It completely falls apart in season 2, with most characters becoming caricatures and stupid/sloppy plot lines left and right.
It is beautifully shot though, one of the best looking TV series of all times.
>>
anybody else laugh when you figured out the nun was the hooker from american psycho?
>>
Great show, impossible to talk about here because of the "MUH SJW" autists here.

I haven't seen S2 yet. I also really like the time setting.
>>
Thack makes me want to get published, do speedballs, and create medical discoveries. his torment and brilliance, amazing stuff
>>
>>67350826

I guffawed and trailed off into a muffled chortle.
>>
literally the GOAT cinematography in a tv show
>>
>>67349696
It's an amazing show. I think it's really unique as well. I don't think I can think of any other show with a vibe like this show has
>>
>>67350467
When?
When the eugenetics stuff is always portayed as comically evil and in the wrong?
Or when the evil brother makes that cringeworthy speech "nobody will believe you because you're a WOMAN"?
>>
>>67351023
"I didn't finish season 2"
>>
>>67349696
It was great, we don't have many threads because retards like this shitpost them to death:
>>67350389

Check out The Leftovers for another good show that rarely has threads for the same reason.
>>
>>67351064
Except the things I mentioned happen literally in the final episode.
>>
>>67351023
Everybody in the show agrees that eugenics are alright and an interesting new medical field, and why would you trust a woman in any time period?
>>
>>67349696
I hope this thread answers your question, OP. We never made threads about it because it was too good to be discussed here. Everytime someone mentioned it, /pol/ would come over to cry "MUH MAGIC NEGRO DOCTOR" "MUH PROGRESSIVE RICH LADY", etc. and think they were right.
>>
>>67351363
Mate you're full of shit, we had threads every episode, but the series is over so nobody talks about it, it wasn't very popular.
>>
>>67351257
The point isn't how the characters react to those things in the show, but how they are presented to the viewer.
And they are presented in an hamfisted way, morally in the wrong and without any nuance, and you were supposed to be sad at the injustice that the good guys had to suffer in those times.
>>
>>67351363
>too good to discuss on /tv/

Yeah I guess that makes sense. It's a shame because the show does sort of lure you in with a false sense that it will be preachy and the black doc will be the savior but the eventual outcome it much more bleak.

I really liked when edward's wife shows up and starts demanding things left and right and embarrasses herself with the family that got him a job at the hospital in the first place. Or when he's talking to the carriage driver at the end of the series and tries to say something like "I was fighting for your rights too." and the driver just looks at him like, "You have no idea what I've seen." Basically telling him to stop being an arrogant child and appreciate what he has even if racism still exists because he will never be happy.
>>
>tfw no more nosefu
;_;
>>
>>67351469
we only had live threads which I started and that's it. I was active here during that time and I counted like literally threads that got more than 10 replies during the whole second season.
>>
>>67351487
And yet nobody was sad or gave a shit.
>>67351559
We had nonlive threads as well but yeah they weren't all that popular
>>
>>67351487
>and you were supposed to be sad at the injustice that the good guys had to suffer in those times.

No you weren`t. Soderbergh presented every storyline in a very bleak/nihilistic light and didn´t force any kind of feeling on you. If you felt bad for some characters it was on you.
>>
>>67351363
Again, it's all about things are presented.
If you want a series that deals with similar topics without being prechy, just look at Mad Men. You won't find much SJW discussion in its threads because the show doesn't encourage it.
>>
>>67351487
>And they are presented in an hamfisted way, morally in the wrong and without any nuance
What kind of nuance would you have preferred to present eugenics in a positive light exactly? The people who supported it thought they were doing the right thing and that they were making progress. This is how history should be presented; by showing the viewer that smart educated people made these decisions based on a what they believed at the time to be valid science. Forced sterilization in particular is something that lasted longer after World War 2 and wasn't something the Nazis started nor did it end with the fall of the Third Reich; it continued in North America well into the 60s.
>>
>>67351681
It's not worth it, you're not going to get through to them.
>>
>>67351596
The characters that suffered the injustices were and that's all that matters.
>>67351601
Yeah, right, during the evil brothers villain speech you weren't supposed to feel any simphathy for the woman, the show wasn't trying to be manipulative in the slightest. Please.
To deal with these themes without taking sides it takes writing on a level that the Knick never even cane close to.
>>
>>67351631
Nope, the difference that matters around here between the two shows that are about faithfully exploring society and humanity in different time periods is that one features a black main character. That's it.
>>
>>67349696
There was regular threads about it when it aired, although they never amounted to much, partly because of shitposting like >>67350389
>>
>>67351631
>comparing the knick to "big budget soap opera: the show"

nice try. What's even funnier is you just blew yourself the fuck out by admitting the only reason you didn't like the knick is one of the main characters is black.
>>
>>67351790
Of course you were supposed to sympathize with the woman and not her evil brother who had his father burned alive and would have burned his sister too. This isn't one of those situations.
>>
>>67351790
First off, refrain from commenting on writing levels when you can't even spell sympathy right. Second, what is the show trying to manipulate the viewer into thinking when it's saying that a high society woman in 1901 had next to no autonomy or recourse for dealing with an objectively evil situation? Because that's the way it was.
>>
>>67351912
>evil brother who had his father burned alive and would have burned his sister too
now now anon, I'm sure the show could have given you his fair and unbiased side of the story somehow :^)
>>
>>67351911
>big budget soap opera: the show
It's 2016 and there are still plebs who keep calling one of the two best dramas in history a soap opera unironically
>>
>>67351790
I don't know why you'd care about Edward he was an aggressive drunk that left his wife, random black people were often thugs safe for Edward's family. One woman was a drug addict, the other was a gold digger hooker, 3rd one cheated on her husband with their childhood friend, I mean everybody was a piece of shit in the series safe for like 3 characters.
>>
>>67351813
And the other features several "oppressed" women trying to find their place in a mens world as main characters, which would be even more effective catnip to many people in this board.
But the same doesn't happen for Mad Men, because it actually has good not manipulative writing and doesn't want to push an agenda.
>>
>>67351942
What story you fucking moron? He's a fictional character. Not to mention people have been murdering their fathers since the dawn of time.
>>
>>67351942
that's my point, retard, it can´t be done.
>>
>>67351944
>plebs
mad men is easily accessible to any viewer. women LOVED that show because of jon hamm being handsome and how much they hyped the fashion of the show up in magazines. 90% of the plot was about who was cheating on who and it got worse and worse as the show went on. once in a while don would do something interesting. it's saving grace was it had a near perfect aesthetic but even that was "too perfect" at times. it felt like a neat little 1960's sears catalog in motion.
>>
>>67351973
>>67351980
ov vey please tell me you are being ironic
>>
>>67351968
So writing is good if it doesn't manipulate you? When you say push an agenda are you talking about the ideas that the authors are trying to convey or are you framing it in a subjective political way that is tangential to the story at best?
>>
>>67351912
>>67351920
>>67351942
The brother being such a ridicolous poorly written bad guy is terrible writing and lack of nuance in itself, have you guys literally no idea how writing works?
I know I shouldn't expect much from Knick fans but still.
>>
>>67352104
By agenda I'm pretty sure they mean "anything and everything I don't agree with that doesn't support the things I read on /pol/ and must be part of the feminist conspiracy to forcibly remove my testicles" agenda.
>>
>>67352174
It's "ridiculous". That's how writing works.
>>
>>67352174
Please explain how he was poorly written.
>>
>>67352174
How was he poorly written? Did you not pay attention to the show at all?

>goes around his father to try and secure family business
>invests in the subway right after the disaster
> “The time to invest is when there's blood running in the streets,” actual quote from the brother i think as early as season 1

At worst you could call the reveal to be predictable because they set the father up as being a genuine good guy but pretending that the brother was a good guy from the start? You just don't pay very good attention to the shows you watch.
>>
>>67352205
>that one guy nipticking typos instead of coming up with appropriate arguments
Lol
>>
>>67352337
>Commenting on the quality of writing while making basic spelling mistakes

Not much more needs to be said after that, but for a start how bout you address >>67352295
He said a lot of what I was going to.
>>
>>67352046
>90% of the plot was about who was cheating on who and it got worse and worse as the show went on. once in a while don would do something interesting

you are the embodiment of plebeianism, it's incredible how you didn't get the show at all. Please stop talking about things you don't know nothing about.
>>
>>67352403
I'm curious what you think Mad Men was about.
>>
>tfw you shed a tear of joy for based Creary in the finale
>>
>>67352188
I didn't even ever said that I disagree with the political views presented, so you can stop with the /pol/ bogeeyman.
I dislike however a show trying to manipulate me with hamfisted writing, especially if it's trying to push whater kind of political view.
>>
>>67350807
Any examples? Because it's the best written show we've had in a while.
>>
>>67352575
Manipulate you how?
>>
>>67352295
He being evil being foreshadowed isn't the issue.
The issue is his character being evil and devoid of humanity to the point of being a caricature in a show that is supposed to be a realistic human drama.
His speech was ridiculous like many other in the show, the one the nurse makes to his dying father in primis.
These people are poorly written to the point that they don't even feel human, but more like over the top caricatures you could find in Tarantino movie.
Again, you won't find anything like this in a show like Mad Men.
>>
>being such a weak minded faggot that you fall for the /pol/ pseudo philosophy meme and you think every tv show is trying to manipulate you
>>
>>67352881
What is a virgin
>>
>>67350460
>Soderbergh has expressed interest in returning for Season 3
Really?! Nice, thought he said that he was done with it after the second season. Good thing that he might have changed his mind then.
>>
>>67352850
So a character that acts in a despicable way is automatically a caricature? Evil people don't feel human? Characters final speeches can never be grandiose? These fictional characters that were alive a century before you were born don't sound realistic to you?

Exhibit infinity why this show should never be discussed here.
>>
I was watching blackface performances on Youtube recently and decided to google Williams and Walker. I was surprised to find out they actually were two black guys in real life. I listened to the podcast for that episode to see if they'd say why they had them played by white people in blackface on the show but they didn't say anything about that decision.
>>
>>67352850

Are you familiar with stage acting? There were a lot of important dramatic moments in the show that were intentionally done that way; with grand expository dialog that's not supposed to come off as typical speech. the monologues are done in long takes and it's a style choice for the show. It's pretty clear from the beginning that theater is a large theme in the show; the way the surgeries are always done in front of an audience, Thackeray's penchant for theatricality like wanting to film his surgery and have a journalist present. The show has extreme highs and extreme lows and it's done so intentionally to invoke strong emotion.

Mad Men on the other hand has a much lower baseline and holds a more tempered emotional balance for the duration of the series but the show is just as far from real life as The Knick.

Comparing the two on this metric is plebeian though because you're essentially trying to gauge "realism" in a television drama which should never be used to measure a shows quality. TV isn't real and you shouldn't expect real life to be depicted accurately in a drama - if you want that watch a documentary.
>>
File: 1458436778639.jpg (229 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
1458436778639.jpg
229 KB, 1280x1920
>>67350408
Nurse Elkins was a dirty slut
>>
>tfw no one ever posts that black doctor copypaste that was so prominent on this board during the season one days
>>
File: Team Knick.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Team Knick.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Character power ranking!

1. Thack

2. Cleary, Gallinger

3. Bertie, Algernon, nurse Elkins

4. Barrow the Cuck

5. Harriet

6. Cornelia

Honorable mentions:
The good captain
Abigail
Chinese gangster man
Chinese gangster mans whores (who were down with being experimented on)
>>
>>67353590
pretty much:

thack
everyone else
>>
File: 1454378836262.jpg (83 KB, 600x347) Image search: [Google]
1454378836262.jpg
83 KB, 600x347
so what about season 3? do we know anything besides that there will be one?
>>
>>67349696
it got renewed for season 3 I heard
>>
>>67354248
yeah but without clive owen and soderbergh it could just be another true detective where they do something "different" that's actually trying to be the same thing but ends up so much worse
>>
>>67354476

>implying

Soderbergh's whole plan for the show was to leave after 2 seasons and pass the show off to another auteur to make his two-season version of a doctor/medical series, who would then pass it on to another etc.

He basically wants it to be Cinemax's "Doctor Show" and it can be moulded by whoever is directing it.
>>
best show after mad men went off the air. too bad it will probably be 2-3 years before we get a new season
>>
>>67353254
I can't believe I never thought of it this way, it's obvious now that you said it.
>>
i'm gonna start on season 2 now i think. i really enjoyed the first season but it was so dark and gloomy i had to take a break. that was over 2 months ago
>>
File: carrie.jpg (19 KB, 361x349) Image search: [Google]
carrie.jpg
19 KB, 361x349
>tfw decent shows on /tv/ hardy get any traffic
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.