[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why so special?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: mad max.jpg (130 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mad max.jpg
130 KB, 1280x720
I finally watched Mad Max to see what all the hype was about and seriously what am i missing? Sure its a great action movie but whats so special about it? Im not saying its a bad movie i just dont see why everyone was saying it was the movie of the year when it came out
>>
le witnessed XD
muh strong female trope

basically reddit OP
>>
/tv/ is infested by reddit, you have to filter the bullshit
>>
>>67342299
>i just dont see why everyone was saying it was the movie of the year when it came out

Herd mentality.
>>
>>67342299
>whats so special about it?
It's the only fun action movie made in a decade.
>>
Movie was a 6/10
>>
>>67342299
I barely pay attention to what people say outside of a few reviewers, but if you listen to RLM or YMS, for example, what they said was exactly that the movie isn't perfect. It's a decent to good action flick that also happens to very fun.
>>
>>67342570
i was referring to people posting about it on twitter and facebook

>>67342881
good to know im not the only one who realized its just a decent action movie
>>
>I don't like this popular thing

Congratulations
You truly are unique
>>
>>67342984
>i was referring to people posting about it on twitter and facebook
>twitter
>facebook
>waa people are idolizing pure shit :'(
>>>/out/ pls
>>
>>67342299
it is amazing visual filmmaking and storytelling. The editing, camera work, stunt coordination, direction, and yes even the characters and script are top notch and razor sharp.
>>67342338
>>67342570
>>67342840
these people will criticize it for not being "deep" and for appealing to normies but they're retarded and dont actually love cinema
>>
>>67342299
I was expecting way more Tom Hardy and felt so fucking gypped when all he did was grunt 80% of the fucking movie
>>
>>67343148
you know that's literally all Mel Gibson did in the Road Warrior, right?
>>
>>67343005
i didnt say i dont like it. its a good action movie i just dont think its as good as everyone was saying it was

>>67343096
please tell me youre joking about the script and characters....
>>
>>67343096
>The editing
Like the sped up shots. Boy, I sure do love that razor sharp editing.
>>
>>67343328
no I'm not. The script is written to show us the world, introduce the characters, and explain the plot succinctly and intelligently. Every single character is fleshed out as well and serves a purpose; especially the slave girls. Even the way Max and Nux are written to come across them and change is done in a manner that makes sense and is good to watch

criticizing the story for being insanely small in scope is not a real criticism at all. This entire movie is about execution and showing a lot in as small a space as possible
>>67343361
those sped up shots were wonderful too. have you not seen the old mad max movies? Jesus

and yes the editing is objectively phenomenal. The way Miller used center framing for images and edited them together in logical and linear fashions created a sense of coherent space and rhythm with the action.
http://vashivisuals.com/the-editing-of-mad-max-fury-road/
>>
>>67343361
this. those sped up shots seemed cheap af and didnt really go with the flow of the movie

>>67343427
i agree that the visuals are great except for the sped up shots. to me it seems like just another good action movie. you dont watch it for the plot or the character development and max for oonw doesnt even change he just end up going back to being himself by the end of the movie.
>>
>>67343888
>max for oonw doesnt even change he just end up going back to being himself by the end of the movie.
it's really hard for me to believe that Fury Road will go over the heads of some people but on /tv/ I get proven wrong almost every day
>>
>>67343888
Max isn't much of a character. Nux provided a decent enough emotional core to the story

Honestly though, if you can't appreciate the work that went into the stunts, the set design and the editing and visual story telling in general, I have to assume that you're a bit of a contrarian hipster.
>>
File: qjdJ0v1qg.jpg (373 KB, 1024x1535) Image search: [Google]
qjdJ0v1qg.jpg
373 KB, 1024x1535
>>67342299
Maybe people revere it so much after and around several 80s/90s action reboots that all turned out to be pretty middling in comparison.

>Genisys
>Robocop
>Total Recall
>Point Break
>Prometheus, kinda

There's probably more I'm forgetting.

And it was also genuinely excellent, my reasoning.
>>
It was a less good road warrior, but that still puts if above most action movies in the past decade.

It's quite honestly not great, but good. A few gripes of mine was the over saturation (which I can understand people liking, I just prefer the more natural look), the fact that max wasn't the focus of the film (IE we don't get to watch him fight alone, instead we see some lame attempt to make us connect with the girls) and how the movie was more or less just PG-13 instead of the R rating it had.
>>
>>67343888
>max for oonw doesnt even change

>asshole loner at teh start of the film
>gradually starts warming up, from not being an asshole to even being helpful
>by the second half he's spearheading a suicide mission in a last ditch effort to save people other than himself
yeah no character development at all eh
>>
>>67344246
i said the visuals are great. i loved the cinematics the only thing i didnt like were those sped up shots

>>67343950
>>67344591
>starts out as a loner
>goes back to being a loner
his character development is pointless since he just goes back to the same max we see in the beginning of the movie
>>
>>67344676
>goes back to the same max we see in the beginning of the movie
But that's wrong. Just because he's still alone doesn't mean he's the same person as he was when the film started.
>>
>>67342299
I have to say I was disappointed also. There was so much hype (on these boards) for this film when it was released... unfortunately I did not get to see it in theatres, which may be why I couldn't appreciate it. I found it very "plodding", I felt no connection to any of the characters and their plight just seemed so meaningless.

To me it felt like nothing even happened, in fact I could hardly even tell you the story now a month after seeing it. I remember the guitar that spits fire and trucks in the desert, that's about it. The effects were "cool" and I appreciated that they were practically done, but I did not find them overly impressive.

I dunno, maybe it was the "small screen" experience that detracted from the movie. I wanted to like it, I really did, and maybe I just missed the point of the film completely and it's supposed to be empty... but that's just not the kind of movie I enjoy.
>>
>>67344591
>>67344676
>>67344709
My god, this is not a movie you watch because you expect multifasceted characters with depth who will come out at the end of it changed. The movie doesn't have that, and it fucking shouldn't have.

This is a movie you see because you want to see cars drive really fast and explode in the desert as a guy plays an electric guitar on top of a truck as flames spew out behind him. It's a wonderfully stupid action film that knows exactly how stupid it is. Not a character study of Max.
>>
>>67344793
True, but that doesn't mean there's no character development because there definitely is.
>>
>>67344793
thats what im saying. so why did they want to make it seem so deep when its a mad max movie? in my opinion you get a good action movie or a good movie with plot/character development etc/ you cant have both maybe an action movie with one good character or a good movie with a good action scene
>>
great action, rich imaginative lore, good actors, great cinematography. It did everything right
>>
>>67342299
Think of it this way. If this movie came out in the 80's it would have won every award imaginable. It's basically just people being haters and old fags being old. Sure road warrior had a few things better like story and realistic violence, but film is a visual medium and Fury Road delivers. If you want a good story, books will aways beat film, and if you want realistic violence just watch the news. Again if this was released in the 80's it would have spawned so much fandom for diesel punk it would probably be nearly on par with star wars in terms of popularity.
>>
>>67345324
>If this movie came out in the 80's
But it wasn't released in the 80's, it was released this decade.
>>
This thread really makes criticism in general seem pathetic and distasteful.
>>
>>67343096
>even the characters and script

they're both totally generic shit, m9
>>
>>67345324
>the movie is 30 years behind its time
>>
>>67343096
>they're retarded and don't actually love cinema
Kek
The irony is strong with this one
>>
>>67343427
https://youtu.be/dWfFpdI4aaU

Skip to 1:49
>>
>>67342299
It's one of the only not totally CGI filled puke fests in the past decade.
It's great for it's simplisity.
Witness mofo.
>>
>>67345881
>this shit over here is less stinky than those other shit over there
>it must be delicious
>let's gobble it up

This is really how retards think.
>>
>>67342299
Well it didn't made much money but it won shitloads of secondary Oscars.
So I think that makes it successful.
>>
>>67342299
>what am i missing? Sure its a great action movie but whats so special about it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpIeg9eTTQ
basically, this explains it all and answers on all question.
>>
it is great roadtrip movie for families
that "let's go back" was were bad
>>
>>67346104
I hope this is bait.
>>
File: Mad-Max-Poster.jpg (360 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Mad-Max-Poster.jpg
360 KB, 1000x1500
>>67342299
Everything after the first one is just unnecessary bonus stuff to kill time.

>WE'RE GONNA GIVE THEM BACK THEIR HEROES, MAX

>>67343096
>don't actually love cinema
this meme is overdone. It's used in every defense of Fury Road lately.
>>
>>67346142
Nope, explanation part is pretty good.
>>
>>67345451
>>67345648
yeah you guys are right. all 80's movies were trash.
>>
File: mad max.png (36 KB, 1401x237) Image search: [Google]
mad max.png
36 KB, 1401x237
>>67342299
>>
>>67346449
Cancer
>>
>>67346506
yes you are
>>
File: 1458715046008.jpg (59 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
1458715046008.jpg
59 KB, 312x312
>>67346449
I remember that post. Pretty sure I assumed it was bait and didn't reply. Are you posting it because you agree or because you want to make fun of Fury Road's fans?

Now I'm realizing that asking is pointless.
>>
>>67346625
I bet you post LE KINO threads unironically
>>
File: p72220_d_v7_aa.jpg (152 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
p72220_d_v7_aa.jpg
152 KB, 480x720
>>67346677
Somebody has to. Have you watched Sebastiane yet? I post it so often that I've probably personally recommended it to you at least once.

/tv/ should give it a chance. It's very pretty and it's even got a soundtrack by Brian Eno.
>>
It wasn't special or even that good.

But look at the catalog; compared to capeshit clone #623435 it probably blew kids minds.
>>
>finally saw the movie
>movie just came out on direct tv
>basic cuck detected
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.