[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any horror movies like The Thing where the cast "loses"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Thing_poster_01.jpg (780 KB, 2136x3211) Image search: [Google]
Thing_poster_01.jpg
780 KB, 2136x3211
Any horror movies like The Thing where the cast "loses" only because they're outmatched and not because of stupidity?
>>
Dawn of the Dead(2005)
>>
>>67335173
Seen it, but it's a great movie
>>
>>67335133
Almost none, horror movies generally rely on stupidity to push the plot forward. One of the reasons why The Thing stands out.
I had considered posting Jurassic Park (not strictly horror, I know), but the people stuck in the island, and especially the kids are pretty stupid now that I think about it.
>>
>>67335133
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
>>
>>67335431
Well I think it's still a good pick. You can't do much against dinosaurs as it is
>>
Resident Evil 1. It's a bad movie but I like it, and they never had a chance going in there so there's a tangible build up.
>>
File: theyre_watching.jpg (138 KB, 693x1024) Image search: [Google]
theyre_watching.jpg
138 KB, 693x1024
>>67335133
damn that's a good question, I actually really like this OP.
Rec? they tried there best I suppose.
Man I'm going to think hard about this
pic not related, just a poster I liked
>>
Evil Dead
>>
>>67335133
Deep Rising? They kill the monster on the boar and then they wash up on an island reminiscent of Skull Island. Something loud and huge in the forest is coming towards them on the beach.
>>
2005 King Kong? I don't think anything too dumb happened, they just can't compete with dinosaurs and giant bugs
>>
I've always considered Alien to be like that.
>>
>>67338152
This. The Xenomorph is an alpha predator.
>>
Predator.
>>
The Blob remake

The creature will eventually win and devour everything
>>
I don't recall the kids in the original Nightmare of Elm Street doing anything outright stupid, considering the circumstances.
>>
>>67336026
Sorry is this real? From the writers of black ops 2 and spongebob?
>>
>>67336026
>spongebob
>black ops 2
Sounds promising
>>
Night of The Living Dead
That nigger never had a chance against that many rednecks at the end.
>>
>>67335133
sadly there is nothing quite like the thing.
Its one of the few sci fi horrors that lacks a shady plot from an evil conglomerate and it even managed to expertly avoid the standard alien invasion tropes too.

Just a film about a series of increasingly fucked up events that no one can stop and no one can properly understand until its too late.
That's why no other alien related horror can compete really.

The Thing works on several levels, as a lovingly crafted throwback to the horror b movies of the 50s but also as stark modernization of those same ideas.
It doesn't pull punches and is uncomfortable to watch even when you know whats gonna happen.
Its as much about the complete loss of hope in the face of inevitable extinction as it is about disgusting creature effects, nail biting tension and creeping paranoia.
>>
It's more thriller than horror but Fallen is like that.
>>
>>67338152
Does Alien 3 count? There is a fair amount of stupidity in their decisions, but sme of the characters are supposed to be literally retarded. Also they had no real weapons.
>>
>>67335133

Man, another reason why The Thing is grand.
>>
Already posted but:
Alien
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
>>
>>67338945
I guess it counts, because most of the characters being stupid in that movie actually had little to do with their demise. Even if they were a much smarter group of people they were still pretty much completely defenseless against an elite and cunning predator.

So yes.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.