[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best horror film in years?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: The_Witch.jpg (114 KB, 1296x730) Image search: [Google]
The_Witch.jpg
114 KB, 1296x730
Best horror film in years?
>>
File: NEuNFyU92gwCxD_2_b.jpg (81 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
NEuNFyU92gwCxD_2_b.jpg
81 KB, 600x316
>>
>>
File: w.jpg (26 KB, 679x512) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
26 KB, 679x512
>>
>>67316876
can I watch a trailer without getting spoiled to the whole story?
>>
>>67316876
Not the best, but the most pretentious? Definitely.
>>
File: The-Babadook-1024x576.jpg (96 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
The-Babadook-1024x576.jpg
96 KB, 1024x576
>>67316876
But that's not pic related.
>>
the twins were so fucking ANNOYING
>>
>>67318154
The Australian accents take me out of it.

>Listen all! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Bartertown learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.
>>
Not by a long way.

Good film. Not sure if it's horror or supernatural drama though. Either way it was only good. Best in recent years? Absolutely not.
>>
>>67318507
Oh, not enough jump scares for you? what is the best in recent years then?
>>
>>67318154
Great first half of the movie and a shitty second half with those stock sounds(including a dinosaur sound lol) and the babadoock looking like some shitty cgi oil spill.
>>
>>67317451
>can I watch a trailer without getting spoiled to the whole story?

Yes.
>>
>>67317451
Every fucking trailer tells the story of the film in 90% of cases.
It hjas been like that for years now, why do people keep complaining despite that being the thing they want.
Why else do you watch the trailer? why do you think they make the trailers like that? Cause people want to know what the film is about before going to see it, thats why.
>>
>>67316876
Which film is it?
>>
>>67317451
How about not watch the trailer? The trailer's task is to tell you what the story is about so you can decide if you want to watch it.
In good films you enjoy the journey not the destination.
This is why people can rewatch films over and over again.
Enough being a retard.
>>
>>67318667
Ok, got it, sorry
>>
>>67318667
Look at filename newfriend.
>>
>>67318583
Not enough scares, jumpy or otherwise. I hate this "horror movies shouldn't be scary" faggotry popping up among movie snobs lately. If you think this movie is too good to be scary, lovely. But don't go proclaiming the best fucking horror movie in recent memory.
>>
>>67318717
This. The reaction to this movie reminds me of the episode of King of the Hill where Bobby takes clowning lessons from the college professor who feels that real comedy shouldn't be funny.
>>
>>67316876
Fantastic looking film. It had great visuals, great atmosphere, great antagonist, a great ending. Great acting, it was annoying and frustrating and tense.
It doesnt have cliches and has a great theme.
Its not gimmicky.
Definitely one of the best this decade if not the best.
>inb4 teens start crying about "it follows" or some other jump scare bonanza, shit tier horror.
>>
Why are there faggots who try to argue that there was no witch. How does that make any sense when about 10 minutes into the film they show the witch killing the baby and hanging out at her hideout? What sense does it make for the witch to not exist if you're showing the witch in her hideout alone doing witch stuff. It's not as if a character is hallucinating and seeing the witch due to their own paranoia, she is being shown for us, an audience to observe her. That analysis is a load of bullshit generated by tryhard Redditors thinking they're patrician for coming up with bullshit theories that aren't there.
>>
>>67318717
>>67318781
You need to literally be autistic or 8 years old to find any movie scary aside from reflexive responses as a result of jump scares.
This movie had tension, anxiety, disgust, frustration and so on. Ont top of the emotional charge it looked great and did everything right.
Why is it that in our time idiots allow themselves to pretend they have a clue or a brain?
Just shut up and let the adults talk.
>>
Went to see this alone on a Sunday night, the room was complete empty, had the whole theater to myself. Comfy as fuck. The day after my friend wanted to see it. So I saw it on a Monday afternoon with him and once again had the whole room to ourselves.
>>
>>67316876
>in years
no
>of this year
yes

we've had some good ones like let the right one in, I saw the devil, rec, martyrs, babadook
this will be added to the list - a solid 7

frankly I think rec was better
>>
>>67318879
Just mongoloid fans who think understanding films means coming up with retarded explanations for the plot. I mean there are loads of them on youtube. They draw power from each other's autism.
>>
>>67318673
lol you sound a little retarded yourself
>>
File: 1451746976635.jpg (9 KB, 255x247) Image search: [Google]
1451746976635.jpg
9 KB, 255x247
>still no hd torrent
>>
>>67318939
>martyrs
>rec
Those are 2006-2007 films but yeah, pretty good.
How is this a 7/10 though? Thats mental.
Name one thing they movie did wrong? You just dont give it a 10/10 cause it was low key. Go watch some more transformers if you need end of the world for kids spectacle to enjoy films.
>>
>>67318981
We are all posting on /tv/ so we are all a bit out of wack but there is a limit.
>>
Spoilers

Would YOU DP her with Satan? Obviously his dick is WAY bigger than yours, so he'll pound her tight, hairy cunt as she sucks you with her sweet mouth. Afterwards he'd probably shake your hand across her nubile, sweat-soaked young body
>>
>>67318717
>>67318781
If you actually get scared by films then you're either a child or have the emotional maturity of one. Cinema is about mood, technical skill, and narrative. I sincerely believe that this film was operating at a level that was intellectually beyond you.
>>
>>67319056
man you're really defensive. it was no 10/10 that's mental
be mature about it- good atmosphere, pacing, a really good set piece overall. Felt the overal delivery was a bit miffed. and a little on the nose. so maybe a light 8. but a 9? cmon now
next you'll say it follows is flawless
>>
>>67319056
9/10*
Yes, a 10/10 cause it did everything it needed to do. I define a 10/10 not as some unimaginable perfection the perception of which can only e4xist in the mind but as a whole and complete (horror) creation that satisfies on both the intellectual as well as on the emotional and aesthetic levels.
>>
It really is the ultimate pleb filter
>>
>>67319144
buddy it's a bit pretentious, just like how you sound
>>
>>67319127
I liked the period and themes. The visuals alluded to christian themes. I love the mystical slow paced approach, i love movies that use mysticism or religion as part of their overall composition.
My idea of a good film craftsmanship is when everything is geared towards or revolves a few key themes and does not stray from them. A few visual motifs and editing style.
I like when things and sometimes motives are left somewhat open if its is something that repeats in the film, making it feel that it was indeed done on purpose.
By my standards which I explained above this movie is a 10/10.
It touches on themes and styles of movie making, doesnt use cliches or gimicks and since i felt actual frustration and anxiety and digust when watching this, despite being a very experienced movie watcher ithink it is an outstanding film.
>>
>>67319127
>Felt the overal delivery was a bit miffed. and a little on the nose.
Be specific and cite examples from the movie. What was the message of the film and why did was its delivery weak? How was the message delivered in a obvious way?
>>
>>67319296
>pretentious
This is a meaningless buzzword for people who are insecure about their own intelligence. If you're incapable of discussing the movie or feel inferior, then just don't open your mouth
>>
>>67319296
God enough with the pretentious crap. I fucking hate this fucking american meme where the dilletantes and retards supposedly should be treated like experienced or smart people.
Just admit that you are unable to process or enjoy slower movies even if they lean towards art films just a little tiny bit.
Enjoying slower films or more visual films with less action is an acquired skill you god damn pleb.
Read some quality books, watch some slower films and you will acquire this skill. Until you do
stop using words the meaning of which you do not fully understand.
>>
>>67318717
>>67318781
Movies aren't scary. Anticipating a loud noise isn't fear.

A horror movie being genuinely unsettling and eerie is an admirable goal.
>>
>Corruption, thou art my father.
What did he mean by this?

No, really, I know it's a quote from the Book of Job, at the part where Job's friends are questioning his holiness and Job seems to give up on God, but immediately afterwards God appears to him and rebuilds his life. But I'm not sure whether or not it means William gave up on God in the movie, since in the Bible after Job says it God saves him.
>>
Reminder to all plebs.
You do not judge a movie by some "objective" standards since no such standards exist.
You can judge movies based on their resembles and usage of popular film conventions but this in no way tells us why you enjoyed a film unless you enjoy films based on how many pop film conventions they use or dont use.
When giving a serious opinion of a film, you are explaining what is it within you that made you enjoy or not enjoy the movie.
You have to explain your own personal standards of appreciation that are a result of your knowledge about film and your own personal life experiences.

An example:
I liked this film because I enjoy films that portray a lot of cocks because i am personally a faggot and love sucking cock. The movie portrayed a lot of cocks in a very aesthetic and original way hence I enjoyed it.
>>
>>67319712
>I liked this film because I enjoy films that portray a lot of cocks because i am personally a faggot and love sucking cock. The movie portrayed a lot of cocks in a very aesthetic and original way hence I enjoyed it.
sounds like the vvitch
>>
yeah post pics with no descriptive names on the file, best recommendation thread ever
>>
>>67320002
>first pic bares the name of the title.

How retarded are you?
>>
>>67318583

The Borderlands immediately comes to mind. Well acted, no reliance on jump scares (though there are a couple that aren't red herrings), and a finale that makes you rethink everything you saw and heard before that.

I guess you're one of these bandwaggoning faggots that never cared about horror until VVitch came along, and now you have a nice pretentious art piece to slip in the back door and start smugging over the entire genre.

>OMG jump scares so shit, lel horror plebs
>Most atmospheric scene in all of the witch ends with a jump scare
>>
>>67320191
So you think The Borderlands is better then The witch?
I doubt you actually think that.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.