[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: serial-podcast.png (35 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
serial-podcast.png
35 KB, 1200x1200
What went wrong?
>>
They didn't pander to the powerful footsexual market
>>
In season 2? Plenty. It was a story a lot of people had already heard about rather than an obscure murder from 20 years ago. Because of this, most listeners had most likely already formed opinions on the subject so there was not really anything left to discuss. This made them lose all the momentum they had from season 1 and do shit like that episode where they updated on Adnan. There was no reason for anyone to say argue with each other about who did what and why like with the Hae Min Lee case, because it had already been all over the news when it first happened.
>>
DINDU NUFFIN, HE A GOOD DESERTER
>>
File: image.png (292 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
image.png
292 KB, 576x432
>>67306079
Everyone I know who listens says this is just a non interesting subject to them. It's been pretty clear people didn't want this subject matter since they released what the season was going to be about. I still gave it a shot but I just don't care. Bo seems like a self absorbed ego driven little prick who needed an experience like the one he got to wake his ass up. Still seems like an asshole though. They should boot his ass back to the rag heads he loves so much he ran off with. He probably just wandered off looking for poon not all these autistic noble reasons he claims.
>>
>>67306079
I wanted murder mystery and got military drama
>>
DUDE HAKANIS LMAO

Last episode was good though.
>>
>>67306079
I could not give less of a shit about this US soldier guy. There's no real interesting discussion and debate. I dropped it after about 4 weeks.

I don't give a shit about his failed escapes or how hard it was to sit tied to a bed for a year, his own dumbass fault
>>
Bergdahl was a deserter
>>
>>67308222
>Plenty. It was a story a lot of people had already heard about rather than an obscure murder from 20 years ago

I doubt most people read more then one article or watched one news report on it. Even then, it happened years ago. 99% of what people know about the story was told in the first 5 minutes of the first episode.

I was skeptical too at how interesting the new season would be without some mystery, but I look forward to each episode. I think it's better then season one in some ways, even if there's not as much too discuss or speculate about.
>>
I've really enjoyed the bits about the socio-cultural and political state of both Pakistan and Afghanistan, things I knew absolutely nothing about and really opened my eyes to a picture the media generally doesn't portray. In fact the less relevant Bowe is to a given episode the better it is in general really. He's totally boring and unsympathetic.

I don't love it as much as season 1 but I am genuinely enjoying it overall, will continue to listen to the end.
>>
Americans are so fucking stupid. They don't want to hear anything about any other country ever. They are not interested in other places and their culture and history. They're not even interested when it's almost 100% an American story besides the fact that dude has to sit around in Waziristan for a few years. It's ridiculous. But no, everybody can understand some cholo murdering his girlfriend or whatever. That's real compelling...
>>
>>67312827
This is the crux of why it's far less popular, along with the fact that Bowe is less charismatic than Adnan.

The funniest part is that many of the SJWs (who all love Serial since it's a part of TAA and done by a women) who whine about Serial season 2 'Just not being relatable" or "interesting" are showing a really hypocritical level of xenophobia. How you can not find the plight of someone from North Waziristan who is under the watchful eye of this terrorist family I'd never heard of both interesting and slightly depressing is beyond me. The story of pressures they're under to be extremist and their need to hate of the west as something to hold on to so their miserable life can have meaning is far more interesting than anything in season 1. And that doesn't even take into account the larger political story between the different terrorist sects and national governments all with motivations I'd never even considered before.

Serial season 2 is a triumph of journalism and a far better work than season 1 overall, it's just a shame it didn't have a more interesting central figure for the plebs to latch on to.
>>
>>67312746
Well said. I don't think this season has been a disaster at all. It's still an interesting story, hearing both about Bowe's time and the effort to get him back going on in the background. And I agree, the stories about Afghanistan and Pakistan are really interesting.

However I do think what is lacking is the air of mystery that S1 had. With the current season, it boils down to Bowe either being a deserter and lying, or he's just a dumbass. That's about it.

>>67312827
Here is your reply
>>
the single biggest shift from S1 to S2 is not having direct access to their subject. That has a ripple effect on everything else they're doing, and because they can't really do any research beyond scouring Wikileaks it's unlikely for them to have any real shock revelations.

I like it, but it's definitely not something people have been bringing up in conversation anymore.
>>
>>67306079
I just stopped being interested after Sarah talked to the Taliban for the first time.
>>
>>67306079
>Television & Film
>>
>>67313213
Podcasts and stage plays are sorta accepted on /tv/ because there's no other board that works for them.
>>
I like it but I agree there are problems. They really need direct access to the individual studied, I think this is key to how serial works and Sarah's relationship with Adnana was a major factor in season 1.

Also, I'd like more skepticism and opinions from Sarah like we had in season 1. The way they build up how smart he was and the big mystery behind him deserting is disingenuous in a way; to me it's pretty obvious what happened. I don't think Bowe is a smart guy, but he's something of an outcast who fancies himself an intellectual Renaissance man. He thought his base wasn't being run well and instead of doing the sensible thing which is file a report up the chain of command or talk to other soldiers about it, he decides to wander off and cause a DUST1 because he wanted to make some grand gesture. Gets himself caught by the Talaban because he's a dumb fuck and then 5 years later he gets to go home.

Cut and dry. Hes not a traitor but he should get whatever penalty there is for desertion.
>>
>>67313213
Where else should they go tbf
>>
>>67308222
this was it for me. It wasn't a story I was completely unaware of so it was simply boring and uninteresting. His side of the story wasn't compelling or even that believable given that he had so much time to work up an excuse. It seemed apparent they wanted to try to change people's minds on him but failed. I made it through episode two and stopped listening. Hopefully season 3 will return to true crime drama.
>>
Who here likes Criminal Podcast better?
>>
Season 1 went to shit half way through too. It was interesting at first when it was about memory and how people perceive certain events, then it just became a regular WHODUNIT bullshit, there's 20 shows like this on tv every day
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.