[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I saw this in the cinema when it came out in 2013 and thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: man of steel.jpg (858 KB, 2000x833) Image search: [Google]
man of steel.jpg
858 KB, 2000x833
I saw this in the cinema when it came out in 2013 and thought it was mediocre.

I rewatched it for the first time last night, and I loved it. In fact, I've never had such a total reversal in my perception of a film. I almost feel as if I saw a different cut of the film the first time.

I remember being slightly bored when I saw it in the cinema and feeling that it had serious pacing issues - specifically with the flashback scenes. I remember some flashback scenes occurring in the latter part of the film which were particularly groan-inducing in the way they disrupted the momentum of the film. Watching it the second time around however, I felt the momentum was perfect and the flashbacks were very apt and well-placed. Again, I seriously suspect that I saw a different cut in the cinema to the one I downloaded yesterday.

Everything else about it was spot-on: the score was perfect and gave the film a real sense of energy and excitement. The cinematography, particularly in the action sequences, was excellent and worked in tandem with the score to give the film a sense of movement and energy that's completely lacking in other superhero films. In basically every respect Man of Steel is the finest film in the latest wave of superhero films.

The recent offerings from Disney's MCU seem incredibly bland in comparison. Enlighten me as to why this comparative masterpiece was panned, when the tame, superficial, and artless MCU soap operas are praised to the skies.
>>
IMMORTAL BEING, CEASE YOUR MOVEMENT
>>
>>67296676
>cinematography rid
>3 shots that are basically the same
ayy
>>
Funny how DCucks can't even talk about their own shitty movies without constantly bringing up Marvel

In b4:
>marvel shill
>disney shill
>tell me one marvel movie that's better than MoS
>marvel
>marvel
>marvel
>>
>>67296676
Because evolution, always wins.
>>
>>67296970

>lense flare in multiple shots

Can this meme that any capeshit film is anything more than a popcorn flick end.
>>
>>67296676
That cinegrid is fucking shit.
Or maybe it is because the movie is ugly.
>>
CEASE YOUR MOMENTUM, UNBREAKABLE OFFSPRING

I love that movie. For itself as much as for the memes.
>>
File: man_of_steel_ver2_boxart.jpg (84 KB, 863x1280) Image search: [Google]
man_of_steel_ver2_boxart.jpg
84 KB, 863x1280
>tfw OP and I didn't mean to post that shitty cinegrid and now my thread is derailed
>>
File: IMG-20160111-WA0004.jpg (27 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160111-WA0004.jpg
27 KB, 240x320
>The Zack Snyder cinematography meme
>>
>>67297386
A Marvel/DC capeshit movie is about come out, you seriously expected this thread to not derail into shitposting?
>>
File: 2464291-4601766862-will-.jpg (145 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
2464291-4601766862-will-.jpg
145 KB, 500x418
>>67297386

Can't tell if OP backtracking or someone making OP look like more of an idiot.

I'm okay with either.
>>
>>67297386
>haha g-guys I think it's shit too. I-It was an accident, I swear!
>>
I'm the opposite. In the cinema was alright because of the action but i also watched it last night and it was awful. Particularly bad was the dialogue and the constant shots of the military. I thought i was watching a Michael Bay flick. And what's with all the budget bin mud blood actors? Like the guy from the matrix movies and that other guy from the law and order or whatever.
>>
File: suppersman.jpg (357 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
suppersman.jpg
357 KB, 1920x1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM

man of steel is a masterpiece of Freudian psycho-sexual imagery
>>
>>67297557
Kek. 3/10. You can do better, anon.
>>
>why didn't you can't to earth with me dad?
>because errr i didn't want to

>stop invincible son who's faster than a speeding bullet don't save my life
>ok

The script needed a rewrite
>>
File: 1385052084135.jpg (223 KB, 1096x800) Image search: [Google]
1385052084135.jpg
223 KB, 1096x800
>>
it is kino
>>
>>67297874
man of steel is the true dawn of capekino
>>
This movie is the ULTIMATE pleb filter
>>
Watchmen is still better
>>
>>67296676
These are nice shots, but they're not revolutionary by any means. When you consider what they needed to convey it was kind of necessitated that they would be doing the in some of these ways.

And just because a particular shot looks nice doesn't necessarily mean that its "good" in the context of a movie as a whole. There can be functional purposes that particular shots play.

At any rate. It has stupid plot contrivances and some bad dialogue here and there. Not terrible, but its not great either.
>>
It's almost pure Kino

Hopefully Based Snyder finally has mastered his art with BvS
>>
File: 1458106679732.png (201 KB, 316x458) Image search: [Google]
1458106679732.png
201 KB, 316x458
>entire city in ruins
>everyone dead
>"h...he saved us"
>makes out with lois in the middle of destroyed city
>happy for some reason
>zod appears
>they start fighting
>suddenly city has rebuilt itself and people are still running around
>>
>>67298118
metropolis is a little bigger than you think sir
>>
>>67298118
This has been debunked already
>>
>>67296676
It's pretty well done, but there's no tension in the actual battle scenes because it's so far over the top that it's beyond comprehension. Is that enough to ruin it? No imo, but its a major flaw
>>
>>67298118
Can`t you see the hidden meaning anon?

the whole city auto rebuild thing is a metaphor for how people nowdays handle interaction with other people.

A true capekino.
>>
>>67297541
>And what's with all the budget bin mud blood actors?

MoS has several reputable actors. If you want to be really picky you can say Lawrence Fishburne and Amy Adams are the only good ones. I can't think of any capeshit that ever had more than 2 big name actors. Sequels don't count.
>>
>>67296676
The difference between Marvel and DC flicks is simple.

>Marvel
>movies about superheroes. Nothing more, nothing less. They know they are making movies about superheroes. They don't shy away from it and embrace it.

>DC
>Tries too hard. Tries to turn movies about fucking comic book characters into works of art and fails. Attempts to make us believe that somehow their movies about superheroes are actually something special.

To me I see it like DC is that stupid try hard guy that takes paintball really seriously. They show up in full camo, have a paintball gun that looks like a military issued weapon, and talk in full military lingo. He was too scared to join the actual military but he takes this seriously like it makes him a badass.

>"oh you go paintballing? I took my little brother and his friends there for his birthday."
>"yea I go paintballing with my squad viper delta foxtrot. We take it very seriously and it's not just a game to us.

A the the end of the day it's just paintball and it's just movies about superheroes. They try to make these movies seem serious and works of art but how can you possibly do that when the entire premise is silly?
>>
>>67298646
This.
MCU movies have a lot of issues, but in the end, you can't try to make deep stories in this genre.
You can make them pretty and make them have decent cinematography, but their plots will always be about magic good guys beating magic bad guys.
>>
No one praises cape shit
>>
>>67298646
Anti-art pleb detected
>>
>>67298646
Basically this, though a lot of what makes marvel movies so awful is how they've taken being tongue-in-cheek to cringeworthy levels.

I swear every time I hear a one liner or an attempted pop culture reference in an avengers/ironman/captain America film it takes me right the fuck out of the movie and stops all pacing dead in its tracks.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.