[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Donnie Darko
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 200x300
So I just watched the deepest movie of my life.

Why did /tv/ think?
>>
Back when maggie was a qt 3.14
>>
>>67282959
>deepest
how I miss being 12
>>
It's awesome
High school tier but I love it
>>
Threadly reminder that the directors cut is the worst alteration to a film of all time
>>
>>67284702
nah, the bladerunner directors cut is the worst
>>
>>67284724
Bladerunner at least had some uncensoring done and fixed continuity errors

EVERY SINGLE ALTERATION on Donnie Darko was for the worse
>>
explanations: http://www.donniedarko.org.uk/explanation/
>>
Now watch Lost Highway and dismiss it when it introduces you to David Lynch and you discover this "patrician" Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks people circlejerk about.
>>
>>67282959

Watched it the other day after a long time. Shit is cringey af, but it was god-tier film when I was younger
>>
>go in expecting it to be 'deep' and hard to follow
>it's literally a-b, the twist is shit and ending is a massive letdown

literally a knowing tier ending
>>
>Deep

Yeah, nah. I like the movie though, it feels like a weird teenager drama.
>>
>>67285114
Are you ten years old?
>>
The soundtrack is fucking amazing
>>
>>67285371
Only the directors cut

>>67285469
Only the theatrical cut
>>
>>67284509
I like to think she wasn't a mindless feminist back then too.
>>
>>67285582
>only the directors cut
if I meant the directors cut I would have said it. I made the same complaint to the person who recommended it to me, he said the same thing, and it was no different. the entire film telgraphs a grand finale where all the unanswered questions are explained and such, but it just ends with "he gets angry when his gf is hit by a car and goes back in time because he felt bad". I was expecting a bit more than that really, especially with all the praise it recieved for it.
>>
Saw it when I was 14-15 and it had a great impact on me. I believe it was the most important film for me, at that age. But looking back right now, there are an awful lot of better films out there. For me this was just the breaking point to explore them.
>>
DUDE SEX LMAO
DUDE TIME TRAVEL LMAO
>>
it was k
>>
>>67287229

wot?

I think the entire movie is meant to be a touching love story about people who care for one another. Just because you got meme'd out of enjoying the movie and weren't moved by the concept of someone who reverses time and sacrifices themselves for the sake of the person they love doesn't mean that it's a shit ending because it didn't explain your question. The movie is about people, stop focusing on the sci-fi/surreal elements.

>>67282959

it's a movie that's mocked frequently because of how popular it is with young people but it's still a great movie. Southland Tales on the other hand is a masterpiece.
>>
great flick. i think richard curtis accidentally made a masterpiece.
>>
>>67289851

who the hell is Richard Curtis?

Do you mean Richard Kelly? And that's clearly not true because Southland Tales is the superior movie.
>>
>>67289579
>Southland Tales on the other hand is a masterpiece.

Southland Tales is an incomprehensible pile of fuck. It suffers from the same problem that all Richard Kelly movies do: He intentionally leaves out key information to make it feel "mysterious" when it really just makes it make no sense at all. Donnie Darko at least worked as it was and was enjoyable to watch and theorize about, but even that movie required external sources to make sense of.

For example: Did you know that according to Richard Kelly, Donnie actually gained the power of flight and flew up to the plane and used his super strength to rip the plane engine off and fly it into the wormhole? Not fucking kidding, that is what happens during the final plane scene. But you'd never know, because literally 100% of it happens off-screen and there are zero hints as to what's actually occurring. It just leaves information out, and you'd never know or even guess it if you weren't simply TOLD by the creator. It's a sloppy way to make a movie, and ALL of his movies are like this.
>>
>>67290115

I don't think there's anything sloppy about it. I've listened to the commentary with Kelly on Southland Tales and it's quite clear that he deliberately edited out a huge amount of information that would make the plot easier to parse. Easier being the operative word. Just because that film is dense, difficult, and ultimately nearly impossible to sift through completely doesn't mean that is a negative thing. One of the virtues of Kelly's films is that he understands the satisfaction that comes to audience members when they are forced to work something out for themselves and find connections/explanations without being spoonfed.

As to that comment about Donnie gaining the power of flight... what does that have to do with anything? It didn't make the final cut of the movie, it is not a part of our interpretation and is unnecessary to our understanding of the film. You're getting caught up on plot mechanics as though they're somehow significant and missing the allegorical import of the things that Kelly does include in his movies.

Plot incoherence is not a very valid criticism especially if it is done deliberately and serves a purpose.
>>
This came out when its director was 26
>>
>>67290502
>One of the virtues of Kelly's films is that he understands the satisfaction that comes to audience members when they are forced to work something out for themselves and find connections/explanations without being spoonfed.

Not spoonfeeding is one thing, but what Richard Kelly does is actually remove the things that would even help you make the connections. It would be different if he forced you to figure it out for yourself, but he left in enough information that it could be figured out using only the movie itself; that I would think makes a well-made and thoughtful movie. But then he goes one step beyond that and removes even the clues.

Of course, like I said, Donnie Darko at least did have enough left that you could put together enough to be satisfied and understand most of what happened while leaving a few open ends here and there for interpretation. But Southland Tales just became a meaningless string of scenes that can't be put together unless you actually go out and fucking research it, and that's just not a good way to make a movie.
>>
>>67290731

I can't really agree. I've seen Southland Tales 10-12 times and I believe that I understand most of what happens in the film. I think part of its virtue is that it is meant to be so bamboozling to the point that it seems basically impossible to make sense of. The absurdity of the various political conspiracies layered over one another reflects to me what could be seen as a North American paranoia about trusting government and making sense of the complicated state of the American political situation.

I can understand all your frustration though. It is admittedly baffling but that's part of why I'm drawn back to it every time. Also because I think it's made like basically no other movie I've ever seen.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.