[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
his entire filmography is literally just a soap opera with a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: DL_400x400.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
DL_400x400.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
his entire filmography is literally just a soap opera with a mysterious twist

why the fuck do you like this hack again?
>>
kinography*
>>
>>67279841
It's like you've only ever seen Twin Peaks and assumed that's what it all is.
>>
Because he makes films like novels. He achieves character development by showing the world inside the character's head. It allows him to experiment freely with plot, tone, style, characters, performances, etc. Yet it's never just "random," it's always very grounded in a very specific character facing a problem. His methods of illustrating their emotions can be unconventional, but usually effective, he's pretty skilled at guiding the audience through the character's arc.

It's cool. I don't over-intellectualize his stuff like a lot of people do, and I don't really think Lynch does either. This style of storytelling isn't unheard-of, it's pretty common in literature, it's just rare to see it achieved so well and naturally on film. He's got a unique way of doing things
>>
>>67279936
seen everything except wild at heart
>>67280106
yeah i dont argue that it's interesting stylistically. it's like junk food, no substance but it's cool if you need to turn yoru mind off and enjoy it for what it is
>>
>>67279841
op is a david lynch character
post yfw a tiny old couple crawls under your door
>>
>>67280143

I mean, what's "substance" to you? I kind of grew up with Lynch's movies and they've stuck with me a lot. when I had my first kid my wife and I were joking about the "Eraserhead" baby for like the whole first year of constant crying. I always think about the bugs under the grass in Blue Velvet when I hear about somebody getting busted for some crazy secret.

Like I said, he's not an intellectual like Kubrick or Tarkovsky or someone like that, the stories he's telling are pretty typical (scorned lover getting revenge, guy dealing with fatherhood, abused girl gets in trouble, guy driven crazy by unfaithful wife, etc etc) But he comes at it from his own strange angle. The images stick. to me that's good filmmaking, I don't really know what else you want

and for what it's worth, he's an absolute genius when it comes to sound design. All of his films are a real treat from an audio perspective if you're into that sort of thing. He makes unconventional choices but he's VERY good at manipulating the audience, building suspense, sadness, romance, etc.
>>
>>67280143
Literally nothing in his filmography is soap opera-like other than Twin Peaks, which in a way spoofs the soap opera genre.

The reason why you probably link it to soap opera is because of his lighting, which is somewhat similar, as well as the intentionally cheesy acting. It might also be clothes design, which often calls back 50s attire so it reminds you of old television. but it's not exclusively soap opera.
>>
>>67280410
>he's an absolute genius when it comes to sound design
You know, for the most part I agree, but something bugs me with his scenes that take place outside. Like in Mulholland Drive, Watts is in the street with a bunch of cars and you don't hear any background noise. I assume in many instances it's intentional, because it reminds me of how you can think sound in your dreams, and how it doesn't usually pick up more than one sounds at a time, but if I had any complaint with Lynch it'd be that.
>>
>>67280433

Not OP, I'm a huge fan of Lynch, but the "soap opera nightmare" thing is a common technique in his films. Blue Velvet definitely has it, the bulk of Mulholland Drive, Wild at Heart, and parts of Inland Empire and Lost Highway
>>
>>67280617
Okay, yeah I agree with Mulholland Drive, but Inland Empire was more sitcom than soap opera. I didn't see anything soap opera-ish in Wild at Heart or Lost Highway.
>>
>>67280143
Wow you just missed the entire point of that guys post.
>>
He gets to kiss all the pretty girls. He's OK in my book.
>>
Yes OP, anything that has drama scenes in it where the characters aren't fighting are a soap opera.
>>
>>67280602

>I assume in many instances it's intentional, because it reminds me of how you can think sound in your dreams, and how it doesn't usually pick up more than one sounds at a time

I mean at this point I'm just bullshitting, but yeah I always thought it was kind of along these lines. Most of his choices, in sound design as well as visuals/editing, are all about the main character's POV. He's guiding the audience's focus to very specific things, and often using weird tones and distortions to put you in the character's inner space, rather than their actual surroundings
>>
>>67280653

>I didn't see anything soap opera-ish in Wild at Heart

Did we watch the same movie? I feel like this one pushes that style the furthest of anything he's done, a lot of it is outright parody/comedy. Laura Dern, Nicolas Cage, and Diane Ladd are ridiculously over-the-top, the whole "passionate lovers vs. evil authoritative parent" schtick, the Wizard of Oz ending, etc etc

>Lost Highway

Yeah maybe not so much, though some of the Balthazar Getty parts have a similar absurd/heightened style to the writing & acting
>>
>>67280969
Wild At Heart is a parody of a road movie, not a soap opera.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.