[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Harry Potter movie ruined the series the most?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9
File: 1458368269215.jpg (81 KB, 665x595) Image search: [Google]
1458368269215.jpg
81 KB, 665x595
Which Harry Potter movie ruined the series the most?
>>
>>67249799

none of them as the books are terrible
>>
After the 5th book it went fanfiction route. Rowling wasn't writing the books anymore but a script for the movies.
>>
OOTP. Goblet was pretty shitty but at least it has some colour to it. OOTP is where everything turned grey and green and the series just became unpleasant to look at.
>>
>>67249799
The Unrated cut, desu.

>You're a fuckin' wizard, Harry Piss-Potter

Rowling went too far 2bh
>>

fuck david yates
>>
sorcerers stone
>>
3 prisoner of azkaban

threw away the magic of columbus for ugly aesthetic and people only like it because it was the best book
>>
HBP was shit.
>>
>>67249937
best book was 4 m8
>>
i don't even remember what half blood prince was about and i'm positive i watched it

goblet of fire sticks out in my mind because of how much i thought it sucked compared to the previous three and i remember 5 for how lifeless it looked and i'm pretty sure that's the movie where they just started wearing jeans and sweatshirts all the time
>>
>>67249799
The third movie. It completely lacked the feel and atmosphere of the book. And since that movie was so popular, it also ruined the whole franchise after that by making it grimdark.
>>
Prisoner of azkaban, the atmosphere changed too much from the last one.
And time turners are stupid as hell.
>>
File: 1359256365061.gif (852 KB, 243x102) Image search: [Google]
1359256365061.gif
852 KB, 243x102
>>67249967
>best book produced the worst movie
Fucking director
>>
File: Cavalry.jpg (104 KB, 1200x767) Image search: [Google]
Cavalry.jpg
104 KB, 1200x767
>>67249799
None of them was exactly great, but it was around book four that you can tell she became too big to have an editor stand up to her - the books got long and bloated.
>>
>>67250254
Well shit I was going to post that image in a different thread.
>>
I fucking love Harry Potter because it makes me feel like I have friends and reminds me of a better time in my life. I know it's a children story, but it is one of my favorite series and always will be.
>>
>>67249988
>>67250033
That one is the best movie though.
>>
>>67250300
Correct. But it still ruined the franchise
>>
Book 5
Movie 4
>>
File: 1456369452045.jpg (1 MB, 1744x2976) Image search: [Google]
1456369452045.jpg
1 MB, 1744x2976
All of them, kid. Seriously Harry Potter is easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the seriesüf only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but itüfs certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books are g-g-good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King
>>
>>67249843
David Yates a shit. Seriously, you have all of magic to use in combat scenes and ALL HE CAN THINK OF is basically a gun fight with wands.
>>
Which is the one where they stopped actually wearing uniforms and wizard clothing and just started dressing like teenagers from any generic town? That one.
>>
>>67250138
honestly, how hard would you have to throw a knife for it to go that far into someones skull?
>>
>>67250414
Great Gatsby is a boring and absolutely shit book.
>>
>>67250414
>ayn rand
>god tier literature

You have nothing of value to say about literary merit.
>>
>>67250777
>that's his problem with the list
Come back when you actually know something about literature, /r/books
>>
File: trashman.jpg (17 KB, 335x439) Image search: [Google]
trashman.jpg
17 KB, 335x439
>>67250414
>1984 better than Brave New World
>>
Fifth one no question.

Voldemort is hyped phenomenally well. The buildup to him throughout the series is great so when he does return at the end of four out of nowhere it's a real HOLY FUCK IT'S ALL OVER MOMENT. Then he does jack shit for the rest of the series and spends most of his time hiding and whining.

Each book after four it becomes increasingly more fanficy and more obvious that she does not want to be writing these books. Horcruxes and sneaky villain government infiltration is just fucking stupid. Rowling really has no mind for world building or scale, the books work when they're tight YA mystery stories in a simple fantasy setting.
>>
>>67250833
I know that anything by Ayn Rand is the literary version of Dianetics that only true autismos take seriously.
>>
>>67250579
3. I remember that missing me off so much as a child
>>
>>67250414
>When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King

b-but anon, I don't even like Stephen King
>>
>>67250921
That was his strength though, the fact that nobody but Dumbledore and Harry thought he had come back is what allowed him to grow to the strength he had in book 7 where he was running the ministry through Phineas. If he would've announced he was back everyone would've started countering him immediately.
>>
>>67251109
>the aliens were teenage aliens that were just bored and then the one female teenage alien let the humans go because the human cried and asked her in the end whilst all the other teenage aliens found something else to do
>not high literature
shigggy
>>
>>67250414
>Hamlet in low-tier
>the first book in God-tier is Great Gatsby
This picture always makes me lel. Thank you Quentin.
>>
>>67251141
But they literally have truth potion. Just give it to one of the people Dumbledore says is a death eater and the whole "nobody believes hes back" thing would fall apart.

Why would Voldemort even try for a strategy that relied on almost every single person being a retard?
>>
File: blackwolf.png (199 KB, 273x303) Image search: [Google]
blackwolf.png
199 KB, 273x303
How Harry Potter should have ended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9pWUmrimU
>>
Why the fuck did she make Order such a bloated mess? I'm glad she didn't feel the need to make each book "bigger" and she calmed the fuck down for 6 and 7, but holy fuck.
>>
>>67250921
Horcrux's and shit would have worked if properly introduced in 5, but instead we got blackballed until the end of 6 and she had to cram them all into 7. But yes you're right; the scope collapsed after Voldemort returned out of fucking nowhere and proceeded to do nothing.
>>
>>67249799
the one where harry potter breaks some dire rule of wizards but doesn't get punished and then is later saved by some mcguffin set up at the beginning of the movie
>>
>>67249937
Columbus was still involved in POA, just not as much. After he left completely it all went to shit.
>>
>>67249799
For all the stuff that was omitted from previous movies, DH Part 2 was the only one that felt "wrong" to me.
>>
>>67251416

10 minutes into this... what the fuck am i watching
>>
>>67252254
One of the greatest stoner movies ever made.
>>
>>67250414
>no Infinite Jest
0/10 apply yourself
>>
The very start of the 4th movie when they don't show the actual qudditch world cup game. They had the money, and it only would have taken an extra 10 minutes of screen time.
>>
>>67252254

>10 minutes into a 1 minute video

You alright, anon?
>>
>>67252418
>Pretentious navel gazing.
>Good literature.

You must be one of those sad Gen Xers who can't deal with the fact that your generation produced nothing of value.
>>
>>67250414
>Atlas Shrugged in god tier
>One Hundred Years of Solitude and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland not in god tier
This is bait right?
>>
>>67252533
>Having to ask if a post on 4chan is bait.

Do you even know where you are?
>>
>>67252522

I'm watching the movie the clip is from, ya dingus.
>>
>>67249843
At least Radcliffe actually figured out how to act in that one (he quickly forgot how during the next one, somehow), it felt like a real movie instead of your child's school play.
>>
>>67250414

Harry Potters are an amalgamation of every single public school/kid wizard/boy's own adventure there is. Rowling hasn't got an original idea in her head.
>>
>>67252533
Why atlas bad?
>>
>>67249799
5. Tried to take itself too seriously
>>
>>67252501
What would it have added? That sounds really dull.
>>
>>67250414
> sculpting time
Why are theoretical works about cinema alongside fictional novels?
Who the fuck made that list?
Sculpting time is tarkovsky (all hail tarkovsky: hail!) book about montage (film editing) it's an advanced book about film structure. It's a book for people studying and/or making cinema, not even a book that a fellow lit/citzen could pick up and read. You need a previous cinematographic background. I know this cause I majored in cinema.
Seriously who the fuck made that list?
>>
>>67250440
This. He made it like a Call of Duty type shooting.
>>
>>67250414
>Atlas Shrugged
>God-tier
Gr8 b8, m8, I r8 it 8/8
>>
>>67249799
The one that added time travel
>>
>>67252854
Atmosphere. The movie never showed how much of a celebrity krum was nor how big a deal quidditch is in that universe.
>>
>>67252854
It would have been fun. Ever had that before or are you too patrician?
>>
>>67249799
The movies were better by a country mile.
>>
>>67250414
why do people still respond to this shitty pasta?
>>
>>67252751

You have to understand that the reason most of the retards here hate Rand is because of demographics. Look at 4chan in general, almost everyone here come from a bourgeoisie upbringing and quite frankly are, or either are close to being NEETS; utter losers who have very limited life experience and responsibilities. They are so absorbed with politically extreme leftist ideals that one cannot have a rational discussion with them (I harbor various left wing leanings myself, but there is a difference between talking to a moderate and an extremist).

The young men I know who like Ayn Rand are admittedly arrogant and self-absorbed, but they are determined, intelligent and motivated individuals (Businessmen and Doctors). I do not mind Rand myself nor do I love her, I will not discuss too much of myself but I'll just say that I am rather far off being a NEET. Think the liberal feminist meme you see going around. Yeah, those are the people that disagree with Rand (The majority of people who hate her have never read her books, they just accept and repeat the culture of memes).
>>
File: 1455253248664.jpg (412 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455253248664.jpg
412 KB, 1920x1080
>>67249843
Shut opinion

The movies are better than the books and David Yates is underrated

Goblet is definitely the worst adaptation
>>
Philosophers Stone
Adaptation 9
Flick 8
Film 7
Kino 8

Chamber of Secrets
Adaptation 8
Flick 9
Film 8
Kino 9

Prisoner of Azkaban
Adaptation 9
Flick 8
Film 10
Kino 10

Goblet of Fire
Adaptation 6
Flick 9
Film 8
Kino 7

Order of the Phoenix (apparently 40 min was cut)
Adaptation 7
Flick 7
Film 9
Kino 9

Half Blood Prince
Adaptation 7
Flick 8
Film 8
Kino 9

DH1
Adaptation 9
Flick 8
Film 10
Kino 9

DH2
Adaptation 10
Flick 9
Film 9
Kino 9
>>
File: 1346888833586.png (210 KB, 395x386) Image search: [Google]
1346888833586.png
210 KB, 395x386
>>67254642
Those are some hot opinions you have there
>>
Would Spielberg have cut out important characters and events like the other directors did? Or make up their own events like they did as well?
>>
>>67249799
Without doubt, number 4. Goblet of fuckups
>>
>>67252172
I'm a David Yates apologist and thought Deathly Hallows Part 2 kinda sucked. It mystifies me that after the first part was really good, a contender to Prisoner of Azkaban as the best movie in the series, the second part just got it all wrong. It starts off on a high note with the Gringotts heist, which was fucking awesome, but soon it begins to fall apart. Omissions from earlier films like Sirius giving Harry the two-way mirror in Order of the Phoenix are compounded when the movie just assumes it happens anyway. DH as a whole skips the subplot about that tell-all biography of Dumbledore that spills some nasty secrets; it doesn't effect the first part at all but part 2 tries to use his brother and sister as a an emotional\story beat anyway and it just doesn't work. The actual Battle of Hogwarts is cool but the Harry/Voldemort fight at the end felt executive-mandatedly dumb. They like, fly around, Voldemort has tentacles and then they do the Gohan vs Cell fight from DBZ. What the fuck? I know the duel from the end of the book isn't like le epic showdown, but after seeing this movie I know why Rowling went with the fight she did. In the book, the confrontation is simply that everyone is watching them duel; Harry explains to Voldemort in detail that he is the actual owner of the Elder Wand, Voldemort calls bullshit and throws the killing curse while Harry counters with a disarm spell because he's not a fucking murderer, and then the spell is blocked right back into Voldemort while the Elder Wand flies into Harry's hand. That would have been fucking simple and badass unlike the idiotic tripe we got.
>>
>>67256017
is this copypasta
>>
The 3rd act of Goblet of Fire was amazing.
>>
>>67249799
That's like saying "which turd smelled the worst?"
>>
File: danny tanner.png (277 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
danny tanner.png
277 KB, 500x385
>>67250414
>god tier
>no cormac mccarthy
>mfw
>>
>>67254037
you sound underage
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.