[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Expanse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 800x600_TheExpanse_S1_Keyart1.jpg (367 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
800x600_TheExpanse_S1_Keyart1.jpg
367 KB, 800x600
Is this legitimately good? I've heard that it is great and also that it's just mediocre from a few people. I'm looking for some good science fiction and I've heard lots of people saying it's the best new sci-fi show in a while.

Anyone got opinions on The Expanse?
>>
yeah it's good. watch it.
>>
>>67239741
if you like scifi and space stuff you're definitely going to enjoy it. I'd go as far and say it's the best scifi show since BSG.
>>
People that don't like sci-fi wont enjoy this, People that don't like sci-fi will enjoy Killjoys and/or DarkMatter
>>
Is there a lot of talking about nothing?

Like some episodes of Star Trek is just talk and nothing "scifi" about it.
>>
File: smug miller.png (221 KB, 475x503) Image search: [Google]
smug miller.png
221 KB, 475x503
>>67239741
It's great, best sci-fi show in ages.
>>
>>67239741
If you like traditional sci fi with spaceships and a great setting you'll like it. It's pretty good from that perspective.

If you don't like sci fi it's probably just mediocre for you.

And I would say that it's the best space opera type sci fi in years but that's not saying a lot.

Personally I'm pretty into it and eagerly awaiting the 2nd season. Going to check out the books in the meantime.

>>67240529
>Is there a lot of talking about nothing?
>Like some episodes of Star Trek is just talk and nothing "scifi" about it.
No, it's based on a series of books and this season was paced quickly (more material than you could show). It's not exploration driven, the characters are basically put into a series of very fucked up situations outside of their control that they're just trying to survive. The first season sets them up with a ship and crew though so that could change but I kinda doubt it.
>>
File: No Expanse episodes until 2017.jpg (16 KB, 385x256) Image search: [Google]
No Expanse episodes until 2017.jpg
16 KB, 385x256
>>67239741
I loved it, but the chick with the cookie monster choking on a cigar voice...I didn't like her scenes.
>>
>>67239741
It's the best scifi show out right now, might even surpass BSG if it avoids going full retard.
>>
>>67240529

No but nothing happens.
>>
>>67240730
Agree mostly but this season was not paced quickly. There was an awful lot of filler and slow pacing.
>>
>>67239741
compared to the other sci-fi they've been pushing out lately it's bretty gud
>>
File: 1452038195950.webm (1000 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1452038195950.webm
1000 KB, 720x404
Fuckin' spaceships and shit man
>>
Huge cliffhanger without any other season available to get closure.. wouldn't start watching, except if you are willing to read the books, afterwards
>>
Does it have a generic romance subplot? If not, I might watch it.
>>
>>67241231
Not really. One of the main characters has a gf who gets blown up in the first episode
>>
>>67239741
it gave me some BSG feels. overall really solid and manages multiple narratives with about as much elegance as a tv scifi show possibly can. watch for Thomas Jane husbando bait.
>>
>>67241097
I guess in retrospect a lot of Tom Jane's scenes felt like filler for the first 6 episodes or so but there weren't any episodes really where the main crew was in the same position at the end of an episode as they were in the beginning of that episode. Their situation was pretty dynamic in that sense.
>>
>>67239741
It's great for its limited budget. I personally think it is the best Sci-fi show right now.
>>
>>67239741
That was pretty amazing but I think the first season was just an introduction of the characters and world of the show
>>
>>67240820
Are you talking about Shoreh ? You're crazy she's amazing.
>>
>>67241684
avasavara was easily one of the best actors in the show
>>
>>67241684
The actress is amazing but I personally feel that because you don't know much about the world, she doesn't seem that impressive.
>>
>>67239741
I also love the "mass effect" vibe the show has.
>>
>>67241760
>I also love the "mass effect" vibe the show has.
I don't think it has that vibe.
>>
>>67241684
This! I have seen so many bad comments about her. The only complaint about the show. I personally think she play a rather convincing spy master, slowly calculating what moves she will make.
>>
>>67241760
Definitely not Mass Effect. Maybe the conspiracy part ... but it isn't in any way like Mass Effect.
>>
>>67241760
apparently this was a vidya script originally the book/show does have a gamey feel.
>>
Miniseries about the Donnager tearing shit up around the belt and removing pirate scum when?
>>
File: julie ayylmao.jpg (48 KB, 960x450) Image search: [Google]
julie ayylmao.jpg
48 KB, 960x450
I want to put my penis inside Florence Faivre
>>
i don't watch much sci fi, but i loved it.

>>67241760
i know exactly what you mean. there's no aliens or anything, but there's this grande presentation and scope in how the show is shot that did give me some of those vibes. might be the music too.

8/10 show, i think everyone will find something to love in it. he acting is a bit iffy sometimes, especially with the unknown actors, but thomas jane is really good.
>>
The only thing I don't like is waiting for more episodes. There are a bunch of books and the show could go on for a long time. I'll probably be dead by the time the series is finished.

I was really impressed by how many people they killed off. Characters that you think might be main characters and have plot armor drop like flies.
>>
>>67241914
Might check it out then! I gave Killjoys a shot, it has potential but wasn't grabbed by it. Hopefully Expanse has something to hook me!
>>
>>67241907
Is she going to be in season 2? I mean after what happened to her...
>>
>>67241971
it's a bit slow in the beginning because there is a lot of shit to set up, but by the second episode you should be invested in it.

the plot is quite interesting
>>
>>67239741
3 shit episodes then a good one.then to more set up eps then back to good stuff.
basically every episode on the belter station is shit. the moment miller leaves the station its good
>>
that old woman who plays the secretary general has the sexiest voice i've ever heard in my life
>>
>>67242103
No, no, and no.
Ceres was GOAT
>>
>>67242103
Pleb opinion.
>>
>>67242202
it was shit.
it was a failure in grime.
it was a failure in world building.
it was a failure noir.
it was a failure in a detective story.
heavy handed "world building". show not tell. it did nothing in eps in 2 and 3 that it didnt already finish doing in 1.
also cgi bird
>>
>>67242459
It was the best attempt at realistic sci-fi exploring the colonization of our solar system I've ever seen.
>>
>>67242511
>sci-fi exploring the colonization of our solar system I've ever seen.
> all gypsies
let me direct you to https://www.nasa.gov/

what the hell. let me direct you to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6q2BrTino
its even more realistic than that. skilled contract workers would be in space before gypsies would ever be allowed. corporate culture would wholly own the environment. they would have no "rights" as they are employees and they would be shipped off and be done with.

ceres is not a free state and if it was it would end up them fighting each other.
>>
>>67239741
other than the main actor (not punisher) it's poifect
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.