[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this a good movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: take-shelter-affiche.jpg (367 KB, 880x1173) Image search: [Google]
take-shelter-affiche.jpg
367 KB, 880x1173
Was this a good movie?
>>
>>67238713
It was alright, Michael Shannon is the best part by far

That outburst was great though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey1Z0VhAQdA
>>
Yes. Yes it was.
>>
It's a good flick if that's what you're asking
>>
File: take-shelter06.jpg (98 KB, 1400x595) Image search: [Google]
take-shelter06.jpg
98 KB, 1400x595
>>67239860
>she will never be your faithful wife and take care of you

Why even live?
>>
Yeah it was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W31Dypepaws
>>
>>67238713
Close to masterpiece.
>>
>>67238713
I am afraid it's Michael Shannon's peak. There was a time when it looks like he is everywhere and taking off for big time.
>>
>>67240017

What a way to peak though. Loved him in Boardwalk Empire. Gotta watch Iceman.
>>
<spoiler>Was there really a storm at the end?</spoiler>
>>
Fucking criminal that it got no Oscar noms but that's the Academy for you.

>Hey Jeff Nichols, just do this ten more times and compromise half of your creative vision and talk a major studio into backing you and we'll let you in the club!
>>
It was an oscar-worth performance by Shannon, and one of my fav films from 2011
>>
>>67240037
He was wasted in Broadwalk Empire, they had no idea what to do with him after Season One

Had some great scenes though, underrated as fuck actor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsbX-VLkHhQ
>>
File: whoshotmrburns[1].jpg (49 KB, 515x381) Image search: [Google]
whoshotmrburns[1].jpg
49 KB, 515x381
>>67240076

What do YOU think, anon?
>>
>>67240118

Honestly, I think everyone was wasted on that show, but that's another discussion.
>>
>>67240139

i hate that, "heh it's all about your interpretation" smug cop-out artsy bullshit. DID IT HAPPEN OR NOT. TELL ME.
>>
>>67240076
>>67240166

It did not. The movie is about his psychotic break. The final scene is of him letting his wife in and her showing understanding, implying that this will be his first step towards recovery.
>>
>>67240076
My opinion is always no and their expression was just worrying about he is losing it

Would be Emma Stone actually saw Birdman flying level of stupidity if it was a real storm
>>
there's never just one "storm", just different degrees of severity. some can be weathered, others can't. crazy people are also right sometimes and shouldn't be totally ignored
>>
>>67240207
The daughter see the storm at the beach. She do the sign language "storm" the mother teach her earlier.

Chastain see the "oily" rain drop and we see a direct picture of her see the storm.

It's happen. And it's great.
>>
People should just watch this instead of 10 Cloverfield Lane. It's a proper version of what they were trying to do in that garbage flick.
>>
>>67240719
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXBfiphgDE
>>
One of the best American films of the century. Jeff Nichols is a great director.
>>
>>67240719
>there is no storm. He has a condition to deal with
>there is a storm. His worry is legit. There is nothing wrong with him
Pick one
>>
>>67241004
I keep it's real. It's more "powerfull" that way i think.
I don't think it's "smarter" to think it's another psychotic break.
>>
>>67241004
The thing is his worry is legit doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with him. It's also how he integrate into and interact with his society.

The movie is about his conflict wth society and stands unaffected of the storm is real
>>
>>67238713
It's good. Comfy movie.
>>
>>67240076
Structure/plot is a way to relate to theme.

The point of the movie is to put us in the main characters shoes and really believe there is a storm as a paranoid schizophrenic would. So the film presents it as there really is a storm in the only way to make the audience think it is (by having the kid do the sign thing and the wife agrees).

In this sense, it tricks the audience into believing there is a storm, when in reality that's how it feels to be schizophrenic, to believe something so sure and deep.

There is no storm.
>>
>>67241552
There is no storm, but you're supposed to believe there is to get the full effect.
>>
>>67241582
Mind Blown.
>>
>>67238713
I was hoping for a mindless Twister 2: Electric Boogaloo, and instead I got quality feels.
>>
>>67241485

I wouldn't have called this comfy - it felt a bit tense and on edge most of the way through. You know something is off, and you're waiting for it to boil over.
>>
>>67241485
>Movie is basically one long paranoid nightmare
>Comfy
ok
>>
>>67241739
>>67241779
Well I enjoyed it for it's atmosphere, the settings, storms, both actors.
It's calm and sad, not dramatic. This is comfy in my book.
>>
>>67241891
Fair enough, I enjoyed it, but I found it tense despite being quiet. Maybe I'd hit the coffee too hard that day - I'll re-watch it at some point.
>>
>>67238713
>un film
DROPPED
>>
>>67238713
My french Niggah
>>
>>67241891
Well it's still fucking tense.
>>
>>67238713
It's in my collection. So the answer is yes.
>>
>>67238713
Well made, good performances, honestly struggled to enjoy it
>>
>>67238713
Not really.
>>
Anyone seen midnight special ? I liked it.
>>
>>67243868
Me too. But the intro was the best part of the film so i was a bit disappointed of the rest of the movie.
>>
File: 2Ag85.gif (2 MB, 410x231) Image search: [Google]
2Ag85.gif
2 MB, 410x231
>>67241004
I don't like it when the movie is just one big metaphor for something. Like that Jake Gyllenhaal film "Enemy". Why can't we just have a nice twilight zone type sci-fi film where the guy is in a legit weird world where he saw the coming apocalypse and his vision put a strain on him and his family?
>>
I guess I'm the only one who here who disliked this movie? Michael Shannon was good, but the whole story just felt meaningless. I didn't walk away feeling anything other than Shannon's character was a nutcase. It was just two hours of a tense build up towards, ultimately, nothing.
>>
>>67244916
>Fucking Apocalypse Storm who gets people crazy.
>Nothing
>>
Yeah, it was pretty great and disturbing in a weird way.
>>
underrated movie, wish more people knew about it, shannon should've been nominated
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.