[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interstellar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7
File: file.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
The end of this movie kindof does make sense

You see anne hathaway and matthew mcconaughey went near the same anomaly black hole thing which caused the time slippage of 50 years. When matthew went into the tesseract that was for like 5 minutes, so either time stopped or it just wasn't enough to age him past anne, relatevly, very much while 50 years passed on earth. Earth developed a lot and I guess made colonies around saturn and caught matthew when he swung back around (I guess he went through the black hole which was near to the wormhole or the same thing, but either way it was supposed to take the same amount of time to get through)

So they find him back on saturn, and the wormhole is still there and anne hathaway is escaped from the time slippage along with matthew. They should be the same age as long as matthew and the new planet that she shows up on go at the same time (which they should, because remember that the time slippage only occurs when you are really close to wormholes or black holes)

That was my understanding, but at least it makes sense that matthew and anne are the same age at the end of the movie.
>>
did it ever say her setting up the camp was at the same time as mcconaughey at the end of the movie
>>
>>67233111
with nolan's movies nobody is ever sure of the timelines. watch The Prestige
>>
>>67233125
no, but it's implied.. why would they not show her at the current time?

also a plot hole (I think this one is actually a plot hole) is murph couldn't have known anne hathaway was still alive and setting up camp and everybody else had died in the crew. The only people who knew that were tars, which was broken, and matt who was unconscious until a few weeks until they met on murph's deathbed.

Also why they sent nobody to help her set up the colony, that didn't really make sense either. They had the ships and 50 years.
>>
Didn't she prepare to go into hibernation? It could take him a century and they'd still be the same, give it or take a few years.
>>
>>67233256
yeah that's actually plasible, huh
didn't think of that
>>
>>67233111
>Earth people including Murphy herself worship Murphy as savior and give rat ass about Brand and her plan B who are now seen as traitor and would rather let her be a baby machine on a desert planet and build a miserable frontier primitive civilization while they train their kids to play baseball in space rather than bothering with sending one ranger to pick her up all these years
>>
>>67233308
That's Murphy's fault though. It's only her fault that she didn't disclose where she got the math from. After her dad told her/them (possibly off screen), they can understand that Brand's future humans built the 5th dimensional thingy where Cooper landed.
>>
>>67233308
But they didn't know she was there, right?
>>
How did Cooper not get shredded by the immense gravitational forces of the black hole?
>>
>>67233513

Love.
>>
File: 1427156396005[1].jpg (25 KB, 300x338) Image search: [Google]
1427156396005[1].jpg
25 KB, 300x338
Hold on to your hats, because I'm about to blow your mind.

The "aliens" were able to interact with the past, but their abilities were quite limited. They couldn't just send the answers to the universe back in time. In fact, their only influence on the past was the manipulation of gravity. They were able to create a wormhole, which is merely a distortion of gravity. And when they brought Coop into the 5th dimension, he could only communicate with his daughter (who was in another time and another galaxy) with gravitational fields. What is gravity? It is an attractive force between bodies. And do you know what else is an attractive force between bodies?
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1240x826) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1240x826
The ending makes complete sense.

Coop sends himself into the black hole to reduce weight and gave Anne Hathaway the best chance for survival.

The black hole contains a tessaract, which Coop assumes was made by futuristic multidimensional humans. The ascended humans needed a method to read the gravity data from inside the black hole so they could exist in the first place, and the method of this transferal would be the love between Coop and Murph.

The tesseract is basically a 3-dimensional representation of the entire timeline of the library. Coop is able to manipulate things in the library such as the orientation of objects, etc, and the whole plan hinges on him using the room to send himself into the future so he can deliver the data to Murph, which requires Murph figuring out that the 'ghost' is her dad through the connection established in things like "STAY" and tugging on the watch's hands.

He completed his task of transmitting the data before being shunted through the wormhole in time to see he daughter die.
>>
Complete trash but some of the visuals were cool.
>>
>>67233471
>Brand's future humans built the 5th dimensional thingy

That's unlikely. Refugees from earth would have found them before any meaningful time had passed from an evolutionary perspective.
>>
>>67233549
ayy i feel retarded that i didnt get this
>>
>>67233513
In the science book by KIpp Thorne they mention that it's an immensely big black hole (thus, "Gargantua") which is much bigger than anything we've ever seen but it is theoretically possible and scientifically sound. At this size, small things like Cooper can slip through the cracks.
>>
>>67233471
Murphy is smarter than Brand and is more driven and got a head start at applying gravity to the space colonization while Brand is still digging Miller's grave and lives in a time zone that is developing hundred times faster than Brand's time zone

If the five dementional beings are men's offspring they must come from team Murphy not team Brand
>>
>>67233549
oh what I thought the love thing meant was that love was the only reason someone would willingly go into a tesseract and try to interact with the past if they knew they were probably going to die
>>
So is it explained in this shitty film how far from earth is this other galaxy?
>>
>>67233549
Right on, brother.

Adding to that: The "aliens" were fifth-dimensional beings and by being to move through time, it kinda lost meaning to them. That's why they get Cooper into the tesseract. He outright says that only he can find A POINT IN TIME for them. And why? Because of love. Because the connection between time and love is so close. So much of love and the pain it can causes hinges on the fourth dimension.
>>
>>67233111
Not sure what happened.
I fell asleep and when I woke up, I closed it.
>>
>>67233655
Interesting. So you think at some point in the future, when they've reached the 5th dimension, they realize they have to "go back" in time and put the framework in place for the past to happen?
>>
>>67233675
There are layers upon layers here
>>
>>67233549
>. In fact, their only influence on the past was the manipulation of gravity.

No it wasn't. We even saw Coop touch Brand when the ship was initially going through the wormhole
>>
>>67233653
Yeah, I just did a quick google and it said that the gravitational pull at the event horizon is inversely proportional to the mass so he'd experience about the same gravitational pull on Earth.
>>
>>67233678
How would they know and why would it matter? They could scarcely communicate through the wormhole and the next species chose that spot for a reason. I know some parts of the movie are hard to understand for teenagers but I'm sure you'll enjoy it in a few years. Hang thigh buddy, this is the year of the capeshit so you'll have something to see.
>>
File: 1456167122945.jpg (43 KB, 540x657) Image search: [Google]
1456167122945.jpg
43 KB, 540x657
>>67233678
>>67233694
>let me just tell you how I didn't care for this film. And now, back to my capeshit generals and Star Wars threads!

what a fantastic contribution you make to this board
>>
>>67233488
Murphy told Cooper to go to Brand = she has figured out what happened out there before talking to them.
>>
>>67233711
That's what cooper said. Who knows what they are thinking.
>>
>>67233675
It was. Never in the movie is anything solved with "love". Love is what keeps you going. Some of the details of the black hole are bit off to me but the reasons some people hate this movie are so fucking retarded.
>>
>>67233766
hey there reddit
>>
File: image.png (495 KB, 640x719) Image search: [Google]
image.png
495 KB, 640x719
>>67233766
Sheev Dubs speak the truth
>>
File: Fat Ogre Shit.webm (630 KB, 830x720) Image search: [Google]
Fat Ogre Shit.webm
630 KB, 830x720
FAT
OGRE
SHIT
>>
>>67233759
inversely proportional don't mean shit

This is inversley proportional

1 - 31232131
2 - 324324
3 - 2342
4 - 434
5 - 234
6 - 32
7 - 5
8 - 1

It just means one gets smaller as one gets bigger

Could be a result of this

P = fTMa^2/t^3

P is directly proportional to t but that doesn't really imply anything, just that the larger t gets the smaller p gets

Not that I understand the rest of your sentence though
just that you don't know he'd experience the same gravitational pull on earth from wherever he was just because something is inverseley proportional
>>
So the worm hole is supposed to be sent by future super technologically advanced humans, except humanity is supposed to be wiped out without the assistance of the worm hole.
Explain.
>>
>>67233867
Yeah, I meant as the mass of the black hole gets bigger, the gravitational pull at its event horizon would get smaller. Maybe he won't experience the same as on Earth, but non-harmful levels of gravity. I wasn't disagreeing with you.
>>
Daily reminder that old Brand is an asshole wasting Murphy's time by doing useless calculation
>>
>>67233918
*Forgot to mention that it only applies to supermassive black holes because their event horizon is farther from their centre of mass so you experience less tidal forces and survive it.
>>
>>67233919
well it really was hopeless, I mean the only way they were going to survive was

1. the robot and matthew went into the tesseract which shouldn't have existed
2. they were close enough to talk to eachother
3. there was a way to transmit back in time the solution
4. she happened on the solution in the bedroom

I mean the chance of getting the data to solve it was impossibly small and data from a black hole was the only way to survive, which realistically they were never going to get

if this wasn't a movie he'd be absolutely right to have no hope
>>
>>67233906
Yes, we all know its a causality paradox

What's more interesting is to consider whether the future civilization are descendants of the humans who left Earth in the cylinder spaceship, or the people being grown by Brand at the end. If its the latter, why did they care about the gravity equation? It wouldn't have mattered if the people on Earth died
>>
>>67233918
Fuck. I meant inversely proportional to the radius. As the radius gets bigger, the gravitational pull at its event horizon would be smaller.

Sorry I've only had like 4 hours of sleep
>>
>>67233555
>Coop is able to manipulate things in the library
After finding that out, Cooper asks Tars to encode years of black hole observation data into a message in Moor's code, then read the message to him with dashes and dots, then he followed stars voice to move the long hand on the watch to signal Murphy. This operation took some time and Cooper almost ran out of air

FUCK MOORE'S CODE seriously. Why don't you just write equations on sand?
>>
>>67233973
>Why didn't he tell the people
>because he knew how hard it is for human to work beyond their own survival
>that's bullshit
>>
>>67234065
Because it had to be love. Morse code triggered it from childhood nostalgia.
>>
>>67233990

> It wouldn't have mattered if the people on Earth died
nice sociopathy bro
>>
>>67234299
They mayn't survive, but is that such a loss?
>>
>>67234355
it's 6 billion people starving to death
>>
>>67233990
I assume the seeding ship did its job either without the wormhole or what was left of humanity some how managed to survive long enough to flourish again.

Perhaps giving the wormhole to past humanity is a means of erasing a period of extreme hardship for humanity, it could have taken thousands of years to replace the lives lost and a huge chunk of technical progress would have been lost.

I suppose if you had the means to provide humanity a chance to erase a period of extreme hardship in its past you would do so.
>>
>>67233766
It's funny that you are actually right here.. /tv/ is such a pleb board that Nolan discussion is actually high level stuff..
>>
>>67234515
It's not that discussing Interstellar is 'high level', it's more that the eternal capeshit/Star Wars/GoT threads are so boring and monotonous. /tv/ just isn't a fun board to browse any more
>>
>>67233111
Imo the ending should have been she landed on the planet, but it was already colonised by the spacefaring earthlings due to time dilation
>>
>>67234658
but the earthians had just arrived when they she landed on the planet
>>
>>67233158
That movie was straight mind fuck!
>>
>>67234718
Wut.
The movie shows her setting up base camp by herself.
And matthew mconography woke up one generation later when the space humans had already build a space station and had space ships and shit.
They could have just sent another expedition through the wormhole in that time
>>
>>67233990
>>67234490
this movie is a mindfuck even if you believe in multiverses

you can't send stuff back in time (moving books) to ensure you get to your current place (the tesseract). OK but this is sortof possible with an alternate timeline, if it replaced your memories with the altered version. Maybe that's what happened.

But if indeed the aliens were future humans from an alternate universe where humanity wasn't dying why would they want to save people in this universe unless they were like philanthropists?

Them making the tesseract and hole is impossible but also matt being able to travel back in time is a loop within that

I can't really explain this well but basically it's

future humans create tesseract/wormhole { creates alternate timeline
>>>matthew is in the tesseract and sends the message { creates another alternate timeline
>>>>>>girl back on earth gets message which affects matthew
>>>}
which affects the future human's existence
}
It's a loop within another loop which is just cray cray

it's why you don't mess with time

also that doesn't even begin to cover how matt shook the hand of the girl in the past

>>67234781
they may not have known what planet she was on, remember matthew wasn't there to tell them anything and nothing was transmitted back through the wormhole
>>
>>67234781
no, they had just traveled through the wormhole when he was transported outside the black hole
>>
>Murphy
Knows the importance of gravity equation, knows that there is a way for Cooper to communicate with her in that room, and loves her dad so strong that it's supernatural

>Casey Affleck
Doesn't know what's going on in the space program for years. Doesn't know the ghost in her room could save the mankind. Doesn't hear about the ghost for years. Likes grandpa's farming way better than dad's space way
>more importantly and recently
Just hears from Murphy the space expert that the space program has failed and Cooper has abandoned them
>even more importantly and recently
Just sees Murphy trying to take away his wife and kids and burning his precious foods

Now Casey sees Murphy coming out of his house, saying things exactly opposite to everything she has just said.

And he decides to hear her out for a moment

Wouldn't it be cool if Casey just smashes her head before she says anything?
>>
>>67234597
Yeah, you are right.. a higher level than inane shit is not a high level of course
>>
>>67234826
Yeah i mean that im saying it should have ended with her finding a space colony made by future space humans because of the time dilation,not what we got
>>
>>67234890
>loves her dad so strong that it's supernatural

the only crutch of this movie

otherwise 10/10
>>
>>67234931
they had just arrived when he had exited the black hole, she had already landed on the planet when they arrived
they hadn't even gone through which of the planets were habitable when they found him
>>
>can create a hospitable environment in a space ship
>can't make earth habitable again with the same technology
always bugged me
>>
>>67235016
So do you have reason why Casey didn't smash Murphy's head on sight?
>>
>>67234816
>why would super future humans bother with saving past humanity?
This event is probably the single greatest obstacle humanity has ever faced
probably a good portion of the population died and thousands of years were wasted in humanities progress that were instead spent on finding new habitable planets or bolstering the population again or thousands of other shit you have to focus on when in a survival mode instead of just existing and progressing

You can erase one of the darkest periods of humanities past and possibly leap forward their technological understanding, creating an entirely new time line. For all we know super advanced humanity is nothing more than super advanced robots we designed to create the worm hole and the tesserect as a means of preventing something that may have actually led to the extinction of humanity, perhaps we bus survived long enough to create machines that eventually reached a state of interacting with fifth dimension whose entire purpose was to find a way to save humanity.

Leaving the wormholes entire creation open with absolutely no background in the film is irritating as fuck, all we are left with is assumptions.
>>
File: hitlerboy.jpg (24 KB, 309x389) Image search: [Google]
hitlerboy.jpg
24 KB, 309x389
I believe Werner von Braun was close to solving the magic bookcase engineering dilemma. Good thing Hitler never got hold of it.
>>
>>67233549
Love tars love
>>
>>67235065
Agreed. And what are they growing when their crops are dying in lab on earth?
>>
>>67235042
They could have sent an advance colony team. Logically you would before shipping the entire remnant of humanity there
>>
>>67235163
but still, they have literal super science going on but they can't figure out how to remove that substance/gas thing that was killing plants on earth
>>
>>67235189
The movie isnt supposed to bw watertight or explain everything. Its meant to a bit of a mindfuck with the whole time thing.
Which is why i think having hatahway discover future humans already on the planet is a good ending
>>
>>67235189
Earth itself is only temporary, basically you colonize the stars or eventually your species WILL be wiped out, no exceptions.
>>
>>67234890
Still no one explain to me why Casey would instantly forgive Murphy for burning his crops
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.