[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of this steaming pile of ambition? This
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: southland-tales.30982.jpg (266 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
southland-tales.30982.jpg
266 KB, 1000x1500
What do you guys think of this steaming pile of ambition?

This is one of the worst films I've ever seen that I somehow feel I admire. It's not just that it's confusing, it's empty. Every formal element taken on its own, was fucking terrible. Yet somehow this film ALMOST convinced me of its worth.

I don't know what to think really. It's almost a parody of itself.
>>
>>67232006
I really like this film, I also admit it's shit.
>>
>>67232006
I loved it. No idea why. It's just ridiculous.

Plus it has the best line of all time

https://youtu.be/_0IexZXHyCE
>>
Wew
I own this film on DVD, Blu-ray, and I also own the comics.
Complete crap, but I love it desu.
>>
File: 1418463971431.jpg (6 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
1418463971431.jpg
6 KB, 284x177
>>67232006
I think you're bait OPs are becoming more transparent than usual. With that being said it's a grand clusterfuck of a film with fantastic scenes and almost no cohesion.
>>
AM A PAMP AND PAMPS DANT CAMMAT SUICIDE
>>
>>67232006
>"sci-fi dramedy thriller"
>That lineup of early 00's meme actors
Yikes.
>>
>>67232006

I have NEVER heard it put better than Steaming Pile of Ambition.

This film's reach exceeded its grasp by a lot. You could feel what it wanted to do, bit it just couldn't pull it off.

I haven't watched it since it was released, but it frustrated me when I saw it.
>>
>>67232115
Some of them do a good job of it. Timberlake's musical scene is GOAT and Lovitz's dirty cop is pretty rad. The Rock having an autistic breakdown was probably the best acting he's done outside the ring.
>>
After Donnie Darko, this director was expected to be one of the greats. All I know is this movie killed it ever since. Shame.
>>
>>67233494
Which is odd because DD was fucking shit but all the insuferable teenies turned it into a cult.

Then this hit and bombed the hack's career into the water.
>>
>>67232006
>steaming pile of ambition
I can see that.

I can't bring myself to hate it, there were a lot of ideas that weren't realized, like the 3-part graphic novel series that was supposed to come out as a prequel to the film, but (1) was never advertised, and (2) were spread out over 18 months because the movie kept shifting around before being dumped.

Without those, it's only half a movie, really. The Rock is great in it, SMG is neither good nor bad, SWS is his usual charming self, the rest of the cast sucks, except
>dat JT musical sequence

It's a curiosity but it's not "good." It's an exercise in style, really.
>>
File: 2007_southland_tales_003.png (293 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
2007_southland_tales_003.png
293 KB, 600x399
I have no idea what it's supposed to be about, but John Lovitz was intimidating as shit in it. Who know he had it in himself...except for Andy Dick
>>
>>67233729
The Box was excellent though. I will not have besmirch Richard Kelly like that.

And you fucking kids have no concept of the ideas of this film, or the surreal dystopia he was trying to achieve. Fuck you all.
>>
>>67233974
>trying to achieve
Oh, that's the point of this thread: We're well aware of what he was /trying/ to achieve. He did not achieve it.

And "The Box" was a piece of shit. The story was solid, 30 years before when it was a 30-minute Twilight Zone episode. The movie didn't need to exist and RK's career is now dead because of it.
>>
What does Richard Kelly even do now? I wonder how much debt he's in.
>>
>>67233974
I also liked The Box and have watched it several times.
>>
I loved it. It's just so much fun to watch.
>>
Does anyone have links to the comics? If I understand right, it's actually the first half of the story, instead if just being tangently-related tie-in crap
>>
That writer/director is like The Strokes.

Everything after the debut is a steaming pile of shit.
>>
it feels exactly like they realized they made the worst thriller movie ever and tried to turn it into an ironic comedy in editing.
>>
I still remember when people were "shocked" back then with the scene of JT singing... I still have no idea of why they considered that part as something controversial...
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.