[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on spoilers and being spoiled? Personally,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 1438255755761.gif (3 MB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
1438255755761.gif
3 MB, 245x245
What's your opinion on spoilers and being spoiled?

Personally, I always thought acting like you needed to hide from spoilers was obnoxious. I mean, being spoiled shouldn't ruin the enjoyment of the film, as what does that mean, that a film is only as good as long as you don't know what happens? Though usually, I'll respect someone's wishes not to be spoiled to be polite, provided it's not old material already.
>>
eh I sort of agree but I watched TFA and knew the whole plot because of /tv/
>>
I don't see the purpose of making a super secret plot because you're afraid it would be leaked, the greedy jews are just afraid that no one will watch their movie once they know what happens. A film should be able to stand on its own merits and not rely on hype, that is why most blockbusters are seen as nothing but soulless pieces of merchandise.
>>
>>67227704

but TFA would of sucked even if you didn't know what happened
>>
>>67227676
In my personal opinion, being spoiled deprives the author of the ability to control the pace of how work imparts knowledge to you. You can't set the atmosphere, and I believe it takes you out of the movie somewhat when you're already thinking of how Character X is going to end up at Scene Y. Now I'm not of the opinion that all movies or works are diminished by spoilers. Since film is a visual medium, oftentimes things like capeshit have the plot take a back seat to the action on screen. The visuals cannot, in a sense, be "spoiled" unless you happen to see high quality video before the movie releases somehow.

You could make the argument things are just as ruined for a smart person who picks up on twists and plot spoilers before arriving at them in the work, but frankly, suspicion doesn't detach you the same way as foreknowledge because there is still expectation, if that makes any sense at all.
>>
>>67227676

> what does that mean, that a film is only as good as long as you don't know what happens?

No, it means you want to find out what happens from the film.

Spoiling is a fantastic way to spot the sociopaths and untrustworthy filth in modern society. It's behavior exclusive to extremely bad people.
>>
>>67227676
>acting like you needed to hide from spoilers was obnoxious
I don't think hiding from them, if you care about them, is obnoxious at all.

What's obnoxious, is when you care about being spoiled, and the movie/book/whatever comes out, and you browse certain corners of the internet anyway, then when you read a spoiler and freak out at the person, going "HOW DARE YOU, SPOILERS OMG", now THAT'S obnoxious

If you care, go into media blackout and read/watch the thing in question ASAP once it's released, or else just accept that it's going to get spoiled for you, probably sooner rather than later.

That's your choice in this day and age, either absorb that media as soon as it comes out, or accept that it's going to get spoiled for you
>>
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 1242x1151) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 1242x1151
>>67228037
In your opinion, yes. However when you say "sucked", it carries with it the implicit suggestion that that's the generally agreed upon opinion. It's actually a very small minority. If you say "It's gonna suck" and then gey shown that according to most people it doesn't, you can continue to say "It sucks" like it's a fact, simply because it's what you believe, and that's literally true. But don't expect the rest of the world to hold any stock by that.
>>
>>67228477

You could argue that the person should do their part to avoid spoilers, but arguing that the person doing the spoiling doesn't deserve the blame for it is incredibly retarded. They're a shitty person and deserve to be labeled as such, even if their existence is a fact of reality.
>>
>>67227676

I honestly couldn't care less, sometimes I read the plot on wikipedia before I even watch the movie
>>
People who bitch and moan about reading/seeing spoilers are insufferable. I think they should chill the fuck out.

With that being said, if I knew the ending of saw before watching it, it would've been a pretty shit movie for me.
>>
>>67228477
I'd agree with you about protecting yourself if so many spoilers didn't happen weeks or even months before the movie releases.

Now this is a bad example because nobody should give a shit about this movie, but with the recent Batman vs Superman leak, how would you have known to avoid that? Do you go on media blackouts a month before things release? Especially when you have people who like to cross board post and spoil entire different mediums.

Release day and past that you're on your own, but people who spread leaks everywhere like that are faggots.
>>
It depends, really. If you spoil something like Oldboy, it's not going to be as good if you went in knowing the twist, or that there even was a twist. Though sometimes hearing spoilers brings me into something. I can't think of a movie, but I got Berserk because I heard about Guts cutting his own arm off to try to stop getting cucked.
>>
>>67228576
Yes and no. Say /tv/ was around when Empire Strikes Back was out, and someone makes a big thread that says "DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER". Yeah, that's totally spoiling on purpose, and the person is trying to be a troll here. Calling them filth is what the want.

However, the difference is if someone made a thread called "What did you think of Empire Strikes Back", and Vader is mentioned and someone who wanted to hide from it sees it, that's completely their own fault for treading into areas they should have avoided.
>>
I can respect people not wanting a story to be spoiled, but if they're so paranoid about being spoiled about movies or TV shows that they'll probably not ever even see, that nobody can talk about it around them, then it's really annoying.

Personally I don't care about spoilers too much because people often lie or misrepresent things especially on the internet and the lead up to the spoiler and seeing how it unfolds is probably more important than the spoiler itself.
>>
>>67228741
I'd like to take this time to complain about something probably autistic, but I'd argue fake spoilers are as shitty as real spoilers, within limits. When someone goes "LOL X DIES" and they tell you they're just kidding or that it isn't a real spoiler, it removes a massive amount of tension because you now know what ISN'T going to happen, which can sometimes be as informative as what is going to happen.
>>
>>67227676
Usually don't care but those fucking critics ruined 10 Cloverfield Lane.
>>
File: 6SpRZ.gif (610 KB, 478x1091) Image search: [Google]
6SpRZ.gif
610 KB, 478x1091
>>67228719
If we're bringing up Berserk I'd just like to make the casual reminder that Griffith did nothing wrong.

Though I know what you mean, I actually got into Berserk because I found out what Griffith did to everyone, while I was just passing through things. It didn't ruin my experience, I still really enjoyed the series. But what it probably did was caused me to focus more on the characters who I knew were getting out of it, rather than just everyone else.
>>
its annoying when its something small or almost insignificant. got one friend like that
>>
>>67227676
if a movie can be spoiled, it is a garbage movie
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 626x624) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 626x624
>>67229067
>>
Could not give less of a fuck, outside of sport.
>>
>>67228182
You're comparing enjoying entertainment to a fucking trust fall, god damn.
>>
>>67229370
Star Wars is a big deal to a lot of people.
>>
>>67229370
Spoiling is a type of behavior that healthily developed people learn is wrong by around age 4, after they get sent to timeout for intentionally breaking little Sally's toy. I'm not making a comparison, I'm assessing the underlying psychology of an "adult" who gets enjoyment out of ruining things for other people.
>>
>>67229495
Congratulations, you figured out that people who are intentionally dicks to other people are not good people. Do you want a medal?
>>
File: wowoea.png (193 KB, 746x357) Image search: [Google]
wowoea.png
193 KB, 746x357
>>67228567
One of the quote unquote "most anticipated movie of all time" yet it couldn't beat boyhood?
>>
>>67229598
>comparing a Hollywood plebfest to oscarbait
>>
>>67229702
Why are you pretending you know something about film?
>>
I don't mind so much.

People abuse the fuck out of spoiler tags on 4chan so I removed the hover style. Rarely has this come back to bite me though.
>>
>>67229735
Welcome to /tv/ you must be new here
>>
>>67229598
Oscar bait doesn't count m8
>>
>>67227676
I don't mind at all. Seeing everything play out visually than reading it and imagining
>>
I actively seek out spoilers. I'm the only person who visited www.themoviespoiler.com since many years ago. None of you even know this site exists.
>>
>>67227676
I would prefer to not read spoilers, so I try to avoid them. More often than not they do not ruin a movie but it can be detrimental. On the other hand, the people who seem to enjoy spoiling stuff just seem like pathetic piece of shit trolls that even 4chan is too good for.
>>
>>67229598
>quote unquote
>>
>>67228168
There's a lot of big words in there and a lot of small confusing words in there as well. Don't be such a snobby faggot.
>>
>>67228182
Doomsday kills Superman
>>
It is fucking annoying on the one hand as there are no more surprises.
On the other, if you rely on a twist to sell your story, you're a hack and a lazy writer.
>>
were spoilers even a thing before darth vader being luke's father?
>>
I don't give a fuck about spoilers, it's the journey of how they get there for me then just seeing "x" or "y" dies
>>
>>67228607
This lol. Or IMDb where is generally more detailed
>>
I don't mind at all. I always read the plot on wikipedia before watching a film or series because I have certain triggers (conflict, embarrassment and other stuff). This way I can try and judge whether a film will be damaging to me, and sometimes knowing what will happen softens the effect of the trigger a lot.
>>
>>67228168

literally redit the post.
>>
>>67231673
How do you manage to be on 4chan at all?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.