[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is The Expanse good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (376 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
376 KB, 800x600
Is The Expanse good?
>>
>>67225801
>Is The Expanse good?

I heard they have a weird language that is hard to understand
>>
I heard it was good at the start then slowly declined
>>
Yes. Great production values. Last episode was kinda meh.
>>
>tfw no belter gf
>>
>>67227734
>Great production values.

Doesn't make a good show. How is the plot, writing and acting?
>>
>>67225801
>syfy
what do you think?
>>
>>67227781
Writing is pretty good, it's hard sci-fi. PI in future space station is fun. It's really that last episode that has me a bit meeeh.
Like I said, the production value is really what sells the show more than the writing and acting. They're not the main focus.
>>
Yes, Best sci-fi show in a long time.
>>
>>67228176

>It's hard sci-fi

Bullshit, alien virus makes it soft and squishy sci-fi
>>
>>67227692
It went downhill and then rose real fast by the end

Great first season
>>
>>67228308
Yeah, that's the part that has me completely meeeh. Fuck that. Everything was hard sci-fi then they have to add some random alien virus bullshit. I mean, come on. Why ruin it with that shit?
Also that part where the crew got their own ship. That felt too bullshit. And also that Mars flagshit being destroyed, that felt bullshit. The best ship the military colony has gets destroyed?
Though my father says that it's like a special unit being against a tank. They're more equipped for hit and run and therefore win. Makes sense but it's still bullshit imo.
>>
I liked it. Planning on checking the booms out. The world has a lot of potential.

Acting is just ok but passable. Production values were good for a show with obviously limited budget. I hope it doesn't get canceled, there hasn't been a good space show like this in a while.
>>
>>67228472
The virus was already partially explained as nanomachines if you paid close enough attention

As for the mars flagship, it was built for a straight up naval engagement, not a guerilla war against stealth ships. It's just like how a US aircraft carrier won't do very well if surrounded by submarines when it has no support.
>>
File: expanse-julie.png (174 KB, 621x351) Image search: [Google]
expanse-julie.png
174 KB, 621x351
>>67228308
Whats hard sci-fi? Does it have anything to do with hard boiled? This show seemed to me more like cyber-punk without the philosophy but the interesting social aspects of it. Plus the Alien influence is always welcomed.
>>
>>67225801
Yes.

>>67227668
I watched the whole thing back to back and actually didn't even notice. Every "new" word was used in a way where you know what the meaning is because of the context it is used in and there's barely anything.
>>
>>67228612
Hard science fiction is sci-fi that uses science that is plausible in the real world.
>>
No.

"Hard sci-fi" is about as interesting as pg rated action movies.
>>
>>67228696
There needs to be more of it in film and TV. Like really heavy technical shit too. I'm sick to shit with glossed over science and shitty bad science and that stupid character the smart nerd needs to explain everything to "in English"..
>>
>>67228696
>movies that don't use bad language or explicitly show me the blood n guts are not "interesting" because I'm not what you'd call "a thinker".
>ftfy
>>
>>67228649
>>67228696
Never mind, I look it up and it doesnt seem to match the criterium. Actually Planetes (an anime) is more hard sci-fi than this show. This has more fantasy elements and lore becaused it is based on a series of books. So its more like an fantasy story with sci-fi and noir elements in it.
>>
File: gits.jpg (472 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
gits.jpg
472 KB, 1920x1080
>>67228696
Speak for yourself. I find hard sci-fi fascinating because they are glimpses into plausible futures I could see becoming reality in my life time.
>>
File: p8.jpg (78 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
p8.jpg
78 KB, 800x480
>>67229028
>GitS
>hard science fiction
>>
>>67228743
heres the thing. alot of sci fi actually starts off with a basic premise and doesnt have a lot of fantasy elements
after 2 seasons they run out of ideas and then the power creep and fantasy arcs kicks in
>>
File: No Expanse episodes until 2017.jpg (16 KB, 385x256) Image search: [Google]
No Expanse episodes until 2017.jpg
16 KB, 385x256
>>
>>67228472
I fucking hate the whole evil conspiracy and alien shit angle. I'm much prefer a show centered around just around showing off the societies of Earth, Mars and the Belt and how they interact and conflict with each other.
>>
>>67228308
No, it is still hard sci-fi.
>>
>>67228308
http://www.kheper.net/topics/scifi/grading.html

It's hard sci-fi
>>
>>67229152
I agree, but they are trying to mimick GoT. And with that production they need more viewersthan the typical nerd/intellectual assholes that dont care about that Lord of the Rings evil driven narrative.
>>
File: m2hayxmin0znadyaqzl2.jpg (229 KB, 988x1500) Image search: [Google]
m2hayxmin0znadyaqzl2.jpg
229 KB, 988x1500
>>67228308
>alien virus makes it soft and squishy sci-fi
>>
>>67228472
If the show follows the books at all, it's going to go full alien later on. Including extra FTL dimension with a mysterious abandoned alien space station. The "virus" in the show in fact is a method used to construct portals to said dimension.
>>
>>67228923
You're seriously behind in the world of science. Nanomachines that alter the body is already being developed in Egypt, they already exist. We know meteors harbor bacteria and that it survives entry into earths atmosphere(it meteor shield from cosmic radiation; the bacterial configuration is in 3s, if one part is damaged by radiation then the other two repair it). And we know tailor made genetic virus exist.
Just calling it "magic" and "fantasy" because you're not up to date is just dumb.
>>
File: Expanse gunship.webm (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
Expanse gunship.webm
3 MB, 720x404
>>
>>67228612
>>67228649
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ
>>
>>67229282
It's already diverged quite a bit.
>>
>>67229282
Shit. So the detective is going to loose relevance as most of the cast by turning into only supporting roles helping the idiot who is in love with Don Quijote?
>>
File: suicide is painless.jpg (36 KB, 530x800) Image search: [Google]
suicide is painless.jpg
36 KB, 530x800
>season 2 starts January 2017
>>
>>67229308
Im referring to the plot, dumbass. It will be focused on getting rid of the virus/problem with so much as explaining that it is alien and there is some sort of history behind it. In other words, the epic RPG adventure. There's not much about how technology affects society or the individual by changing interactions or notion of certain aspects of the human mind and physical entity, etc.

Just because it mentions starships, wormholes, nanomachines, etc, doesnt mean all of that cant be interchangeable with dragons or magic - because it only deals with them on a superficial level, dipshit.
>>
>>67225801
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

>>67227668
It's actually kind of cool, and the further in you get, the more you understand of it. Earthers and Martians both speak plain English, some of the Belters speak heavily-accented Englsh with a mix of the Belter Creole.
>>
>>67229282
Goddamn it. Why does it have to go full retard like that?
>>
>>67228176

>it's hard sci-fi
>sound in space

Regardless, it's a good show with strong characters and so far it doesn't have the usual tropes present in shows on SyFy.
>>
>>67229277

>they are trying to mimick GoT

Totally bogus, and there is no "they", the series follows a written novel.
>>
>>67227668
english?

>>67227692
middle eps were a bit slow and didn't progress the plot much at all but start and end of the season was great
>>
>>67225801
>Is The Expanse good?
Its fucking great
>>
>>67229634
>Im referring to the plot, dumbass.
Weird since "hard sci-fi" is exclusively used to describe setting, not "plot". The history of fantasy plots being used for science fiction stories is as old as the genre itself.
>It will be focused on getting rid of the virus/problem with so much as explaining that it is alien and there is some sort of history behind it.
>it will be
Are you insane, the show diverged from the book in episode 1. Assuming what might happen in the future as fact is not an argument.
>aliens
No mention of aliens in the show, just some man-made whatever from phoebe station. You know, it's the norm since walking dead to make film adaptions different from the source, (see: the strain, got, etc.)
>In other words, the epic RPG adventure.
Are you seriously going to say sci-fi RPGs are all "fantasy" because they use quests? You insulting anyone after this is hilarious.

The last part of this paragraph makes it seem like you didn't read the books. Last paragraph definitely shows you don't know genres. Seriously, go to /tg/ or /lit/ and educate yourself if you're gonna attempt literary commentary on a film board or.. anything on rpgs.
>>
Without getting into spoilers I think it's a bad tv show that relies too much on cliche. The middle of the season there is a huge dip in quality and it never fully recovers. There are a lot of things that can be considered pointless but not completely filler.
>>
Ok downloading series now, it better be good or I'm going to step up my shitposting in revenge.
>>
>>67229867
Sounds in space.... I thought we've only heard shockwaves from outer explosions shaking the pov vehicles and comm chatter voices... gotta watch that Mars ship explosion to refresh my memory,
>>
>>67230358
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-Cg-WyqCM
Sound in space everywhere.
>>
>>67225801
Love this show.
>>
>>67229378
Hopefully it does diverge from that plotline, it was that path that turned me off the books.

>>67229394
I honestly forget what happened to the main characters. I just quit it as it went fully Ayyyliens. Although the Detective guy continues his weird obsession with the dead girl and starts seeing her in visions, although it turns out to be the virus turning her into an avatar. She isn't really resurrected though, so it at least didn't go full corny.

>>67229784
Ayyyyliens.
>>
>>67225801
>Syfy
no
>>
the zombies were disappointing
>>
>>67230487
Ohhhh boy anon, you're in for a treat if this makes it to the third season.
>>
>>67230412
Dayum. Think it was the sound design ppl going "fuck you guy, I'm not just doing the sounds of boots on metal for a whole season".
>>
>>67225801
Yes its fantastic

>ywn take the 100 year journey to the glorious new mormon world orbiting a new sun and enjoy limitless wives
>>
>>67230515
>only just finished reading the 2nd book
the first book made them seem so much more diseased and plagued. supposed to vomiting brown shit everywhere and mass crowds shambling out of the radiation room
>>
>>67229867
Meh, mostly hard sci-fi.
I'm not really fond of the characters except for the detective, but I love PI shit, so it was right up my alley. Detectives in space is so cool of an idea.

The black woman is too tryhard leader. The ambassador sounds interesting in concept (the calculating politician with a grudge) but you don't get enough of the world to see how much she has weight politically. That's more of a fault of how little we know of the worlds than her character but it doesn't make her look good.

Honestly, the only character that I liked was the Detective but now that he's no longer in his detective element, he's going to dry up in terms of usefulness. Private investigators are always good when they play loose with the law to get the job done while examining the underbelly of society. By being outside of that underbelly, PIs lose their charm.
>>
>>67230651
i couldn't stand Miller because of his mega hipster hair. i'm so glad i won't be seeing him anymore for a while.
>>
>>67230777
His fucking hair is weird too. I swear it's just the reason he wears that detective hat all the time.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.