[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Americans call cinemas "theaters", then what do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: 1200.jpg (34 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
34 KB, 1200x675
If Americans call cinemas "theaters", then what do they call theaters? Do they even have them?

Is that also part of the reason why they clap after movies?

Serious question.
>>
They used to have Broadway but now its just stalls for cinema horses and anvil rentals
>>
Americans are too stupid for theatre. Their only theatre is Broadway, which is the theatre equivalent of capeshit.
>>
We call theaters "theaters" and movie theaters "movie theaters"
>>
>>67212830
"Movie Theater" vs just "Theater"
>>
File: laughing sluts 2.jpg (51 KB, 623x410) Image search: [Google]
laughing sluts 2.jpg
51 KB, 623x410
> do americunts have theaters with real live actors on a real stage
>>
>>67213104
who are you quoting?
>>
>>67212979

This is so fucking true it's actually painful to read
>>
>>67213118

Shakespeare
>>
Maybe no one cares because theater is literally a medium outdated by hundreds of years that nobody cares about and all it ever shows is dumbass faggotry anyway?
>>
>>67213040

What percentage of Muricans do you reckon have seen a play on stage? One they went to specifically out of interest, not like some high school shit
>>
>>67213151

he'd know that if he wasn't a stupid americunt without any appreciation of theatre
>>
File: 1440540078756.png (351 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1440540078756.png
351 KB, 512x384
>>67212830
>eurofags acting like they know everything about America.
We usually don't clap after a film. Unless people who made it are there, we never clap.
(also, we say theater because it's short for movie theater, which is also refereed to as a cinema)
>>
>>67213155
not him, but of americans on 4chan, I would say more than half.

as for americans who live in middle america, I have literally no idea of what their lives are like. like no clue whatsoever.
>>
this is why all the best actors in hollywood are british, because they trained on stage on not in crappy TV sitcoms.
if america had a theatre tradition then maybe they wouldnt suck so much at acting.
>>
>>67213209
all actors trained on stage, man
that, or they didn't train at all
>>
Theaters are called "The Theater"
>>
File: gh.jpg (41 KB, 500x444) Image search: [Google]
gh.jpg
41 KB, 500x444
>>67213154

>Pinter
>Miller
>Russell
>Beckett
>Brecht
>Stoppard
>Kaufman

>"outdated by hundreds of years"

Imagine being this fucking dumb
>>
File: 1439334485291.jpg (13 KB, 361x330) Image search: [Google]
1439334485291.jpg
13 KB, 361x330
>>67213155

It's not like you'll ever find good theater in America even if you want to.

>want to see Romeo and Juliet
>they rename it Romeo and Julien, and make it about homo sex
>the text is modernized, and they do rap numbers
>the ending is changed so they both live at the end
>finish with a speech about how true love conquers all or something
>>
>>67213154
it's the only medium where you can see actual proper acting, without the shield of camera angles and retakes.
It's why >>67213209 is so right. Acting in front of a camera at your own leisure is a cakewalk compared to holding your own for possibly 2 hours or more in front of hundreds of people, and there are plays out there that require the actor to be on the stage the entire time.
Hell, I've seen one man shows that were over an hour long. Now that's acting.
>>
Do Brits even have a version of the Tony Award, or do they just piggyback ours like they do the Oscars?
>>
>>67213251

Reading plays and watching plays are two very different things. You would be hard pressed to find a decent production of any these playwrights' works.
>>
>>67213155
Do operas count? Because I don't think I've actually seen a play, but I've seen operas
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.