[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is every King of the Hill episode basically >Strawman comes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_mpuqtl4GZl1qb4jz0o1_500.jpg (43 KB, 497x410) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpuqtl4GZl1qb4jz0o1_500.jpg
43 KB, 497x410
Is every King of the Hill episode basically

>Strawman comes onto the show
>Hank is a good boy, he dindu nuffin - he just wanted to mow his lawn. He was getting his propane career back on track!
>Strawman is defeated in some way by Hank's old fashioned ways

Or am I missing something?
>>
no but many are
>>
HEY THERE JUST FUCK MAH SHIT UP HEH HEH
>>
>>67199445
Define strawman in this context, please.
>>
>That boy aint right

What did the king of the hill mean by this?
>>
>>67199564
The boy wasn't completely fucked up by his demented WWII veteran father. Therefore, his quirks weren't acceptable because it wen't outside Hank's retardedly huge comfort zone.
>>
>>67199518
Its always some shitbag that has everyone in town under a spell and only Hank can see that the person is terribly flawed.
>>
>>67199445
Are you guys completely missing the fact that the show is also heavily poking fun at Hank-types?
>>
>pilot
>bobby gets a black eye when he's hit in the eye with a baseball
>social worker sees black eye and assumes bobby is being abused at home
>goes to hank's house
>hank gets extremely pissed at guy suggesting he abused his son
>chases him away
>hank tries to control his anger as to minimize the chances of anybody thinking he's abusing bobby
>bobby takes advantage and starts fucking with hank for fun
>meanwhile, social worker reports to his boss about the situation
>boss asks him what the coach had to say
>social worker realizes he didn't talk to coach to verify if bobby was actually hit with a baseball
>investigation called off
>bobby finds out but doesn't tell anyone
>continues to fuck with hank until he has a heart to heart with peggy about some shit and the episode ends

the social worker was kind of a "straw man" in this episode, but hank's old fashioned ways only end up screwing him over
>>
>>67199604
Is that a strawman?

Its seems like as misused a word as "fascism" people just use it for something they don't like, and because it makes them seem smart.
>>
>>67199445
Get off 4chan for a while, go outside and take a walk around.
>>
>>67199940
more like the social worker was lying to his boss and hank had to jump through hoops to get his stupid boss to see the truth.

HANK THE STATE OF TEXAS NO LONGER CONSIDERS YOU A DANGER TO YOUR CHILDREN, CONGRATULATIONS, HERE IS YOUR SON BOBBY.

YEP HEH HEH I TOLD YALL IT WAS BULLCOCK.
>>
>>67199445

He regularly steps out of his shell and likes new things. He liked yoga, he just didn't like the instructor. He ended up grilling nude with peggy and hippies. There's plenty more examples.
>>
>>67199947
No, its that hes clearly wrong to the viewer and Hank, but if everyone else doesnt let him continue to do things wrong, there is no plot.
>>
>>67200060

give an example
>>
>>67199445
>>67200060
Not really a strawman when a lot of the humor surrounding Hank has to do with him also being wrong.
Even in situations where he's in the right, he's still another form of an extreme.

every character in the show has extremes to them which makes the strawmen just more weird people that exist in this universe, nothing is more extreme then Cotton but he's an established character that has had a major influence on the show and hank.
>>
>>67200058
I don't know if it's the same episode but you reminded me of my favorite Bobby Hill quote.
>(on trying to think like hippies)
>Come on, dad. How do you know if you don't try. I'm a hippie. I'm naked because I smoked all my clothes.
>>
>>67199940
>the social worker was kind of a "straw man" in this episode, but hank's old fashioned ways only end up screwing him over

In other words, the OP is wrong
>>
The way you described, theres only a few. As far as episodes where Hank is right it's maybe half or a little more, there are plenty of episodes where he is shown to be going over the top if not still well meaning.
>>
>>67200320
Even if the character is wrong and Hank is always right it wouldn't really be a strawman.
>>
>>67200413

even going by his own definition >>67199604
he's wrong.
>>
File: 92898.png (92 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
92898.png
92 KB, 320x240
>>67199604
Except the opposite happened when hank was okay with Luanne getting together with the insane pig guy and Peggy had to see through what was actually happening

It also happened before when hank wanted bobby to get a job and bobby takes a job from a literal retard that puts him in danger, hank doesn't see the signs and ignores bobby because he's glad thinking bobby has a regular job. He had to see the actual danger bobby was in to realize he was wrong.

And there was that time Peggy refused to pass a football student that everyone loved and everyone was mad at her, including hank.
>>
>>67200766
Wasn't Hank presented as wrong in that episode where Peggy gets scammed and then pulls some stupid heist bullshit to get her money back?
>>
File: poet.png (1 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
poet.png
1 MB, 1024x576
>Hank Hill
>King of the Hill
>Hank is king of his castle
>his castle is the Hill residence
>Hank is the King of the Hill
>>
>>67199445
why do you make this thread all the time
>>
File: Khan.png (194 KB, 347x259) Image search: [Google]
Khan.png
194 KB, 347x259
>>67200842

Khan is an anagram of Hank
>>
>>67200813
It was a grey area.

At the end of the episode hank points out that the plan was flawed and if it didn't work out just right he would've been in the right but because it worked out he was in the wrong.
>>
>>67201495
I always got the sense that Hank was right and Peggy just got lucky and then tried to rub it in his face, but the way the episode ended seemed to suggest she was right in the end.
>>
>>67199445
Pretty much, yeah. Just about every episode is cookie cutter. It's a shit show.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.