[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who made the best 90s cyberpunk masterpiece, /v/, /a/ or /tv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9
File: cyberpunk.jpg (143 KB, 913x422) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk.jpg
143 KB, 913x422
Who made the best 90s cyberpunk masterpiece, /v/, /a/ or /tv/?
>>
/m/
>>
/lit/,

but if you really need to know due to your /v/ sensibilities then picture related
>>
>>67177182
>>67177216
You have to only choose from /v/, /a/ or /tv/. Is it so hard to follow the rules?

I pick GITS from /a/, OP.
>>
>>67177257
much like ""cyber punk"" those 3 are trash

Johnny Mnemonic is the closest thing this garbage comes to "masterpiece"
>>
File: scanner3-big.jpg (141 KB, 1296x729) Image search: [Google]
scanner3-big.jpg
141 KB, 1296x729
>>67177322
I liked Johnny Mnemonic. Just like GITS better.

What about Scanner Darkly? Is that /v/ or /a/? I consider that a cyber punk movie. Especially it has the feel of a dystopia where everyone could possibly be under surveillance.
>>
>>67177156
Out of those 3 GITS wins, no fucking contest. 2nd spot goes to Deus Ex.
>>
>>67177156
Which of them works just as well today?

The Matrix?
Sure it's still pretty good and the effects hold up quite well but it's still a bit... VHS/Dial Up

Deus Ex?
Classic but the graphics have aged like milk

Ghost in the Shell?
Beautiful. Still. Funnily enough, the 1.5 version has aged much worse than the original.
>>
Deus Ex HR was pretty great imo. Great soundtrack.

Matrix is a classic, fuck the sequels

GITS is fucking great, GOAT soundtrack of the three
>>
>>67177156
Desu Ex isn't '90.
>>
>>67177156
deus ex of course

"can you tell me about sailors?"
>>
File: plebs....jpg (25 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
plebs....jpg
25 KB, 400x462
>>67178035
>Deus Ex?
>Classic but the graphics have aged like milk

Stay plebeian.
>>
>>67179417
Oh yeah shit. My bad. It looks just as good today. It looks just as good as games released today.
>>
>>67178809
Sure, it was released in 2000, but I would say that it still belongs culturally to the 90s.
>>
>I knew the only answer would Deus Ex
>>
>>67179547
>It looks just as good today. It looks just as good as games released today.
Anon never wrote that.
>>
Deus Ex did more for it's respective artform than the others
>>
File: ddd.png (1 MB, 680x386) Image search: [Google]
ddd.png
1 MB, 680x386
Matrix isn't cyberpunk, it's a post-apocalyptic sci-fi dystopian kung fu action film.
>>
>>67179547
do you really think thats the argument here?
>>
>>67177489
Its /lit/ dumbass
>>
>>67177156
all shit
>>
>>67177156
For once, /v/ has the best one.
>>
File: dont toyuc hg me.jpg (58 KB, 574x574) Image search: [Google]
dont toyuc hg me.jpg
58 KB, 574x574
>>67177156
Ghost in the Shell
Deus Ex
Matrix

there is no other answer
>>
>>67177599
I'd agree. Especially since The Matrix was clearly influenced by GITS and other sources.

I don't dislike any of them, in fact I'd say rewatching The Matrix is more enjoyable than rewatching GITS, but as it's a clear inspiration it should get the nod in this contest. I'm not even a weeb and I can admit that much.
>>
>>67177599
>>67180156
any other answer is an embarrassment

why not just open it up beyond the 90s, replace the matrix with blade runner, add neuromancer for /lit/, maybe watchmen for /co/ (that doesnt quite fit though).. idk
>>
>>67180249
I enjoy the first Matrix as an action movie with interesting concepts but the sequels are dogshit. Even the creators said that they were inspired by GITS just like you mentioned. I also enjoy rewatching the Matrix more because it's not as heavy as GITS with it's bigger focus on action. It's a good movie but not at the same level as GITS. Deus Ex takes the 2nd spot because the world is interesting and it nails the atmosphere. Except for the Illuminati stuff alot of Deus Ex felt believable, I can totally imagine that alot of the technology they have in Deus Ex will be in use in 2050, hell, one of the main plotpoints is already a reality with governments and other organizations using the internet and technology to spy on people.
>>
File: tito.jpg (23 KB, 473x350) Image search: [Google]
tito.jpg
23 KB, 473x350
>>67178035

>caring about graphics
>>
File: existenZ.jpg (100 KB, 728x478) Image search: [Google]
existenZ.jpg
100 KB, 728x478
Cronenberg
>>
>>67180550
In that case I would either put Blade Runner or Neuromancer at 1st and 2nd place respectively. GITS would still be at 3rd place. I don't count Watchmen as a cyberpunk story.

>>67178035
The graphics can be improved with a simple HD pack, or the revision mod. Not like it's really needed, the atmosphere is still thick as fuck even if the textures suck and the gameplay holds up. Of the games I've played only Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines have really nailed the atmosphere perfectly, doesn't matter that they are 10-15 years old, they still hold up really well, mainly because of the atmosphere, Vampire still have better facial animations in dialogues than some games have today, just compare the facial animations in the latest Dragon Age to Bloodlines.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.