[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this twist so iconic? Group of astronauts in hibernation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Why is this twist so iconic? Group of astronauts in hibernation crashes on some planet where they encounter sentient apes, human slaves, horses, plants and landscape that looks just like Earth, then at the end they find out it's Earth, how is that supposed to be shocking? What even made them think it's not Earth in different time?
>>
>>67173161

Did you miss the bit with the talking apes?
>>
The ship couldn't tell them how long they'd been in space, to them it would've felt like they entered orbit and then crash landed back down again.
>>
>>67173185
But it's easy, apes evolved and revolted, surviving humans are stripped of their culture and their ancestors don't even remember any language
>>
>>67173161

Because, when the film was released, most alien planets in sci-fi were populated by people who looked human on scenery that looked like Earth. Back in the day, you'd have no reason to think it was actually earth and not just another alien world. It's a great twist, in context. I do think it's pretty obvious after they've looked at all the artefacts in the fact, but I think Taylor's just in denial at that point.
>>
File: 1415691707437.png (236 KB, 586x476) Image search: [Google]
1415691707437.png
236 KB, 586x476
>>67173161
because it's not 1968 anymore.

>>67173245
>but it's easy
yeah it is, since you experienced it as a film.
>>
>>67173295

>In the fact

In the cave. Fuck.

And the visual of the Statue of Liberty buried in the sand is great by itself.
>>
>>67173161
People largely didn't know any better back then, tbph. Shit like aliens breathing oxygen or speaking english was taken completely at face value.
>>
>>67173349
Yeah, but remember how pissed the audience was because nobody understood motivations of aliens in Prometheus
>>
You know even with knowing the twist this is still a damn good movie. It was on tv a few weeks ago and I got sucked right in like it was the worlds most skilled whore.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 640x480
Wait a minute... Statue of Liberty?
That was our planet!
>>
>>67173404
I honestly think the last two hold up better than the first two.
>>
>>67173515
I liked the idea of underneath the planet of the Apes: Humans worshiping the atomic bomb.
The movie itself was pretty forgettable though.
>>
>>67173161
It's not the fact that he was on earth that was shocking, it was the realization that Zaius was right about humanity and what it did to itsslf. Did you really not catch onto this while watching?
>>
>>67173553
That had the weirdest case of actor replacement ever.
>This isn't Taylor but he looks just like him
>Oh hey look it's Taylor!
>And they're both dead now.
>>
>>67173515
I actually think Escape and Conquest are genuinely good movies, even though the last one, battle, was a total turd.
>>
>>67173814
Maybe I am giving Battle too much credit and Escape not enough. I always just liked the direction that the Cesar story went in the last two. But after thinking about it, Escape sheds the silliness in the second half and becomes something a lot more dramatic and poignant. Also it has young Victor Newman as that evil scientist.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.