[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just picked up both. Never seen either before. Which should I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 20160317_082431.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160317_082431.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Just picked up both. Never seen either before. Which should I watch first?
>>
Forget it Jack,
>>
>>67140266
chinatown nigga
>>
>>67140353
reasons nigga?
>>
Chinatown
>>
Raging Bull is a 11/10 masterpiece, if you watch that one first you will find Chinatown underwhelming. Chinatown is not bad, a solid 8/10.
>>
>>67140266
Both masterpieces.

I personally prefer Chinatown. Flip a coin. You can't lose.
>>
>>67140542
Good to know, good idea
>>
>>67140266
Forget it anon, it's Chinatown.
>>
Chinatown has better writing, and possibly better acting overall. But it's a noir film, it's something most people have seen. It could be the best noir film, and the sunny landscape is very unsettling against the dark plot.

Raging Bull is a more impressive in the editing and the intense character study way, like Taxi Driver. It's also very good, but it's probably harder for most people to enjoy because it's about a really miserable and violent guy.

Both include the slapping of women. Not sure if they have anything else in common.
>>
>>67140661
Hearing that Chinatown has a sunny landscape is making me more keen about it. For some reason, the thing I hate about a lot of noir's like Inherent Vice and Blade Runner, is the aggressively dark picture. Like they don't want you to see jack shit half the time. Inherent Vice less so, but Blade Runner, jesus christ
>>
>>67140266
Chinatown is perfect fun, you cannot go wrong be ye pleb or patrician. Raging bull is also good.
>>
>>67140266
Chinatown aint bad, though like all mysteries there's a fair bit of womenshit as it has Faye Dunaway-withmen, Jack is still great in it.

Raging Bull is just in a league of it's own, movie wise and sports movie wise, some very potent themes, you will likely be rewatching this so watch it second.
>>
>>67140711
Most neo-noirs have trouble with color composition. That's why B&W noirs look a lot better. Shadows are very important visually to the noir genre and they're harder to pull off in color.

Not that noir always = shadows, you can have good noirs without that kind of visuals.

btw, you should try Bound (1996), it's a pretty good neo-noir.

Chinatown has a sequel, The Two Jakes, it's not as bad as people say it is, but it's not Chinatown-tier.
>>
>>67140711
Bright, well-lit noir (sometimes called film blanc) is probably made favorite genre visually because it actually utilizes new techniques, at least compared to the style of noir in the 40s and 50s.

Fargo is under this category. If you like TV, True Detective also fits this description. It's hard to find many movies like this, so anyone with recommendations is welcome.
>>
>>67140266
Both are great. You can't go wrong with either.

>>67140711
Inherent Vice and Blade Runner are not noir. I would even be hesitant to call Inherent Vice neo-noir though, but neo-noir is so ambiguous that pretty anything will fit the label in some way.

The low key Lighting is what I assume you mean about aggressively dark which is a staple of noir films, and as in the style of classic noir, Polanski makes use of it throughout.

>>67140825
>Not that noir always = shadows, you can have good noirs without that kind of visuals.

Actually, no. The look is an important and defining characteristic of the genre. Otherwise they're really just crime dramas/thrillers.

>>67140974
If you want something new(ish) in the same vein check out The Hot Spot directed by Dennis Hopper. People only ever talk about Connely's tits in it, but it's actually a really good movie reminiscent of classic noir.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.