[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I watch the director's cut or the final cut? Is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Blade_Runner_poster.jpg (34 KB, 297x446) Image search: [Google]
Blade_Runner_poster.jpg
34 KB, 297x446
Should I watch the director's cut or the final cut? Is there a difference, even?

I read the book first and it would be cool to watch something that most matches the book version.
>>
just don't watch the one with the voice over
>>
Final cut
>>
Director's cut is the best but everyone blows their wads over the final cut, so whatever.
>>
>>67122685
None of them are like the book
>>
>>67122730
No clue which one that is mate

>>67122812
Well fuck, now I'm conflicted. Do you know which one most matches the book?
>>
>>67122685
>Ridley Scott's Final Cut... is the only version over which Ridley Scott had complete artistic control, as the Director's Cut production did not place Scott directly in charge.
>>
>>67122849
Is there a version that might match the author's themes most though?
>>
>>67122685
You should watch the Foley's Cut.
>>
>>67122865
>Well fuck, now I'm conflicted. Do you know which one most matches the book?
I don't. Director's Cut is a little more ambiguous and doesn't have bad color correction. The editing is a little sharper too.
>>
None of them match the book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Heavily inspired, but nowhere near a direct adaptation.

The cinematic cut, US or EU, is trash. This is the one with "the voiceover".

Directors Cut was released a couple of years later, despite not actually being a re-cut by director Ridley Scott.

Final Cut was made in 2005 or so, by Ridley Scott, and features all sorts of improvements to the effects, though has a few controversial extra scenes. I would personally recommend it.
>>
>>67122876
A lot of people think this is the reason to see the Final Cut over the others, but Ridley Scott isn't exactly Stanley Kubrick.
>>
>>67122891

Definitely the Final Cut, but like I say, really you're barking up the wrong tree.
>>
File: sy.jpg (527 KB, 2649x1429) Image search: [Google]
sy.jpg
527 KB, 2649x1429
op, abandon any attempt to find something that "most matches the book"; it doesn't exist, and you're doing it wrong. both are masterpieces in their own ways, but it's a very modified film adaptation.

just get comfy and try to dump any preconceived notions, then grab either the directors cut or the final. avoid the theatrical like the plague.
>>
Final Cut for your first watch. Otherwise you'll wonder what the big deal is.
>>
Don't watch the one where Ridley Scott decides Deckard is a replicant, adds in two sequences to prove it and everyone ignores everything else in the film as they are so in awe of the TWEEST.
>>
>>67122685
Final Cut
>>
I think Netflix has the "theatrical cut" is that the one with voiceover?
>>
>>67123043
in my opinion, the movie is better than the book
the book is more exploratory and handles the philosophy it presents well, but you'd think PKD has never heard an actual conversation
The movie, by necessity, doesn't cover nearly as much
for example, mercerism is cut entirely, the electronic animals are mostly cut, Isildore is replaced with a different character and the idea of low IQ people being culled is cut and most importantly, buster friendly is cut
however, it handles what it does extremely well and if any of these things would have been added the movie would be worse off
>>
>>67122685
The final cut is by far the best. Every other cut has glaring fuck ups. Although some people prefer the director's cut, fuck ups and all, because it's more ambiguous.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.