[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the Road Warrior post-nuclear? Or was it just a further continuation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 7XciKQp.png (1 MB, 1211x920) Image search: [Google]
7XciKQp.png
1 MB, 1211x920
Was the Road Warrior post-nuclear? Or was it just a further continuation of Mad Max's economic/societal breakdown?
>>
>>67122596
Take a guess.
>>
>>67122596
I think they just brought nuke shit into the 3rd one
definitely didn't seem too nuked to me in RW
although i guess australia wouldnt be much of a target anyway
they'd just catch all the fallout like in that gregory peck movie
>>
>>67122596
that was just modern day australia
>>
there were no nukes or anything though i think.
fury road's intro explains how resources have been drained which i guess escalated to war and/or economic/societal breakdown.
>>
they mention dropping nukes right at the start
>>
File: roadwarrior.jpg (66 KB, 627x900) Image search: [Google]
roadwarrior.jpg
66 KB, 627x900
>Or was it just a further continuation of Mad Max's economic/societal breakdown?

Yes, pretty much.

Mad Max and the Road Warrior are during the "Oil Wars" era, where global warming, collapsing economies and dried up resources begin to catch up with the world and civilization is strained under the pressure. The first Mad Max is essentially during a new Wild West. There's still civilization, but it's disconnected, localized (With the federal government losing control rapidly as the global situation worsens) and the wilderness becomes owned by outlaws. Much like the Wild West, the law is brutal and based on a sense of frontier justice.

By the time the Road Warrior comes around, the "Oil Wars" and worldwide situation has become so dire that society has utterly broken down and everyone has gone wild. There's no law and order, no civilization. Just the roads and the wastelands.

Then, post-Road Warrior the "Water Wars" begin as whatever happened with the "Oil Wars" sparked off into a nuclear conflict as the Governments of the world, much like their people, got feral and dangerous. The world is rendered into an endless desert filled with background radiation and blood thirsty wildmen. Water becomes the new sought-after resource instead of gasoline/oil, which takes a backseat.
>>
I'm going with post-nuclear based on the Warboys.
>>
>>67123012
nope
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IJ8_Jf891k

>mentions of oil wars
>earth running out of water
>thermo nuclear experiments
not necessarily nukes, but that's what happened
>>
>>67123160
>>67123162
ROAD WARRIOR, not Fury Road.
>>
>>67123316
This guy got it: >>67123117
Except instead of a nuclear war, it was thermo-nuclear experiments gone wrong that caused the fallout.
>>
>>67123316
And we're only mentioned Fury Road because that helps explain what happened.
>>
has anyone actually WATCHED the movie?

The opening narration blatantly tells us what happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

>For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior tribes went to war, and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all.
>Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear.

It was a nuclear war
>>
>>67123316
Look at Humongous's deformities/ facial scarring, or the fact that all Max eats is canned dog food, and tell me that film wasn't supposed to be post-atomic.

Sydney in Beyond Thunderdome more or less sealed the deal
>>
Mad max=cinéma

Road warrior=Movie

MMBT=Joint

Fury road=Picture

The only correct ranking tBh.
>>
>>67123692
Nothing about that implies a nuclear war and instead pretty much shows a conventional war.
>>
>>67123692
>>Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear.
metaphors.

fury road's intro specifically mentions thermonuclear experiments. probably some shit they were doing after the world ran out of oil an junk. they fucked up, and shit blew up some time between Mad Max and The Road Warrior.
>>
>>67123709
>scarring
He was just burnt, doesn't mean nuclear.Originally it was his buddy cop who got burnt from the first film, but they cut that side plot from the film

>dog food
Nothing about this dictates post-atomic

>Sydney

Nobody is saying BTT and Fury Road aren't post nuclear.We are talking about the Road Warrior specifically.
>>
>>67123723
Fury road could've used more max
>>
>>67123117
/thread

Everyone else go home. This guy has it.
>>
>>67123905
agree 100% family
>>
Since he has the Interceptor in the beginning, does Fury Road happen before BTD?
>>
>>67124112
There was a neat comic mini series overseen by Miller as a prequel to Fury Road that sort of semi-retcons BTT and explains that he spent the years between the Road Warrior and Fury Road basically rebuilding the car piece by piece.
>>
>>67124190
This post reminded me of its existence and how it explains who the girl in Max's visions is.

Makes me think, why the fuck did they make this a comic book instead of another movie or something? Why have hallucinations of a character that nobody knows, unless they direct themselves towards a totally different medium of entertainment?
>>
I think if they keep making more Mad Max movies they shouldn't have a clear chronology other than the first two movies

They should just be wasteland legends of this hard bastard named Max.
>>
>>67124112
It's meant to be more like a loosely told legend than solid continuity. Miller said to him it takes place after Thunderdome, but continuity isn't a hard and fast thing. The Interceptor is Max's legendary mount, so when his story is retold he's driving it. And it getting destroyed is also part of the myth.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.