[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone tell me why this movie is so hated? I wouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: images-1.jpg (46 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
46 KB, 720x1080
Can someone tell me why this movie is so hated? I wouldn't call it terrible at all. Is a nice flick with some great actors. Zod was really well cast and I liked Snyder's vision of Superman's home world.
>>
>>67122228
I'm indifferent to the movie but you might have helped your case if you'd actually listed anything worthwhile (besides Zods casting) as a positive.
>>
Stop, invincible poster
>>
File: 1458157984968.jpg (223 KB, 1096x800) Image search: [Google]
1458157984968.jpg
223 KB, 1096x800
>>67122228
Because of this senpai
>>
File: CAWKS?.jpg (15 KB, 368x468) Image search: [Google]
CAWKS?.jpg
15 KB, 368x468
>>67122228
took this from a post i made a month ago cause i don't feel like typing it all out but
>narrative mess full of pointless flashbacks
>wooden acting across the board from some very talented actors
>the ill defined dream sequence
>Zod and Co being any kind of challenge despite having a few hours on earth and Clark absorbing sunlight for 33 years
>that fucking church scene
>i'm not printing this alien story.... HEY LOIS WOULDNT IT BE AWESOME IF ALIENS WERE REAL
>lois being an exposition sponge
>lois being involved with military strike only so Superman could catch her
>making out on the ashes of thousands of dead people
>Superman being a whiny, ineffective asshole
>Pa Kent's death scene
>brilliant dialogue like "dicksplash"
>not hilariously bad
I don't even care about the neck snap all that much.

Man of Steel was just a really, really bad movie.
>>
I watched it earlier today.
It's not as bad as I remembered it to be, it's average. What annoyed me the most was by far on how it relied on convenience and/or Lois to move the story forward.

Hopefully Terrio was enough to solve that problem.
>>
>>67122228
>this sudden influx of /co/fags that don't think this movie is terrible just because superman is the main character
go back to your hugbox, anyone with a brain can understand why Snyder is a hack
>>
>>67122228
it was shit
>>
>>67122468
Oh, and I'm not sure I get how Kryptonians even work
>Nothing to show they are superstrong on Krypton
>Jor-el tells Clark about how the sun hardened his muscles and everythiing
>Zod and crew appear, and already have the superstrenght and speed, but non of the other powers
>>
>>67122228
It had a lot of great ideas and was visually and tonally where it should have been at. But the writing was terrible. The plot is messy as fuck. Lois, while was introduced nicely, was shoehorned into the action very poorly. Superman's adopted dad's confusing messages were also terrible, as was his death scene.

It's one of those movies filled with polarizing aspects. Great stuff and shit stuff. To me good, but barely good.
>>
opening scene on krypton was the only good thing about it
after that its just your average origin story
>>
>>67122228
Thought it was pretty good. Actually gives me hope for BvS
>>
With just a few changes it could have become Kino
>>
>>67122228
Good actors given shit dialogue. Pa Kent ruined. Military characters were terrible. Krypton is an awful mix of Giger copying and generic space fantasy. Worst product placement. And I know BvS is acknowledging that Superman wrecked the city, but in MoS no one says anything about it so it feels weird.
>>
>>67122528
Supes went through puberty with those yellow sun steroids.
>>
>>67122528
superstrength and speed is understandable because they just are though. zods flight scene even makes it a bit better considering that it means the flight is achieved by some form of telekinesis (floating rocks around him).
>>
>>67122391
But anon, none of those points are right at all.
>>
File: cape keano.jpg (235 KB, 668x501) Image search: [Google]
cape keano.jpg
235 KB, 668x501
>>
Daily "Le Man of Steel was good meme" thread
>>
>>67122655

Flying dick ships
>>
>>67123702
Have you seen Leia's new outfit? Lol
>>
dude playing zod is a great actor
>>
>>67122325
>>67122391
These
>>
>>67122228
I don't think anyone hates this movie, it's just some people think the plot doesn't justify the grandiose tone, and people who think it does get so protective of it that it turns into flame wars.

Now personally, I just think it's not great.
I think it looks great. I think it has some beautiful shots, and the rest looks good if you're not looking too close for faults. Though Krypton was a bit excessive. But the story's execution just feels... Eh.
I won't go into the story because everyone already did, but here's the thing:

Assuming that every fan explanations of how the movie makes sense, and everyone's motivation is perfect is correct.
Assuming the fans who protect it are 100% right in every one of their statements and that is indeed the vision the movie had.
Then it's still a poorly executed movie.

Why?
Because not being clear to everyone or without some effort put in is fine if you're making an arthouse film. It's fine if you're doing something for a film festival.
Hell, it's even fine if you're making a standalone film.

But it's not good if you're making a franchise starter that is somehow supposed to muscle in on the territory of Marvel movies.
If the fans need to get together and explain the movie, because the movie didn't explain itself well enough for the audience to understand, then you have completely and utterly failed to engage Disney in their turf.
It's like showing up in American Football armour to a game of soccer. Nothing wrong with American Football, but it's going to hold you back if you're going to try and play soccer.

That being said, I might write down one of my gripes with the story in a new post.
>>
>>67123396
Hard to argue against this.
>>
>>67123396
Very true his points suck
>>
>>67122391
Don't bother
Charles and his low IQ /co/ reject friends are low iq haha
>>
>>67122489
Oh look it's hatebonerman who posts the same thing in every single thread. How you going today hatebonerman?
>>
>>67124250
Gripe part:

Now as I said, I wouldn't hold it against a movie if it's not obvious, in certain circumstances.

As long as it makes sense. But even with the fan explanations, it tends to fall apart, and it feels very clear that there was atleast one, maybe two or more major re-writes.

Take for example the fans' explanation fo why Zod absolutely had to colonize Earth:
Because he visited all of the other colonies, and he said they were all dead. And this means no other planet before was a viable colony, except for krypton.

Now ignoring the part where a civillization that can build World Engines should be able to tell if said World Engine is going to work on the planet they send it to, or at least on the planet they first chose to colonize, because at one point they had to design this thing and test it.
Ignoring that, even the movie itself contradicts this argument!

Jor El's speech when he first talks with Clark explains that Krypton began the colonization process. Then he states that Kryptoninan civilization thrived for 200,000 years, which then ended when they introduced genetic planning, and abandoned the colonies.
(At the start of the film, Clark is stated to be the first natural birth in 300 years I believe.)

Infact, it's also established that Zod and their crew were freed when Krypton exploded, and they spent some 30 years searching the galaxy.

This means that those planets weren't dead because they fell to that level of decay after Krypton's destruction. That was only 30 years ago based on what Zod explicitly states.
However, 300 years ago, they were intentionally abandoned, before which they thrived.
Every single one of those planets was a viable colony up until 300 years ago. The World Engine worked. Earth, by what Jor El establishes isn't, and can't be the only planet the Kryptonians knew of, that is capable of holding their civilization.

But for some reason, Jor El's speech goes completely ignored in these explanations.
>>
File: GOM+2013-11-22+16-24-38-04.jpg (69 KB, 1254x527) Image search: [Google]
GOM+2013-11-22+16-24-38-04.jpg
69 KB, 1254x527
>>67124250
We hav never seen so many scenes dedicated to Krypton so it was all amazingly done as a new perspective on Superman.

Very comfy.
>>
>>67124766
I get that, yeah. I meant the excessive bit about how it had to play out like an action movie's climax.
Personally if they were going to dedicate that much time and effort to showing Krypton, I would have rather they went mostly with shots like the pic you showed.

Also I felt that the Apocalypse now imagery in the following scene was a bit too on the nose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbMHVjv247Y
>>
>>67125016
Correction, in that and this scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINbMCQmiY4
Orange sun, silhouette of flying machines.

It's nice and all, but it's so obvious and recognizable that it just draws you out of the movie and makes you think of a different one.
>>
File: s3N.jpg (308 KB, 1080x1647) Image search: [Google]
s3N.jpg
308 KB, 1080x1647
>>67122228
Pic related was LITERALLY the sole saving grace this piece of trash had to offer

She's so beautiful bros ;__;
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.