[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Waterworld cop so much shit? It's a good movie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 411385.png (3 MB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
411385.png
3 MB, 1920x1040
Why does Waterworld cop so much shit? It's a good movie
>>
>>67101958
I don't think it is, though.
>>
>>67101958
How much it cost to make, people knew climate change wasn't man made, people were still okay with smoking
>>
>>67101958
Yea i fricken love this movie.
Comfy as fuck, a world i want to live in.

It is also not the big disaster everyone said it was, it made back its cost and then some. Its just fun to hate on.
>>
they fucked up a bunch of shit when they were filming it and it became a meme
>>
Watch "The Ulysses Cut" if you can, it's the best version of the movie.
>>
>>67101983
Oh, but it is. Costner and those fuckable gill slits.
>>
>>67101958
It's my dad's favourite movie so I end up watching it every year. I gotta say I'm starting to warm to it.
>>
It's hate generally comes from the fiasco of filming the movie and it's wasted budget on stupid shit.
Otherwise, it's a well crafted world.
>>
>>67101958
From what I hear it had a lot of hype prior to release and it had a huge budget for the time. Biggest on record at the time, if I recall.

Then it was just a decent action flick but nothing spectacular.

I only vaguely remember the hype but I saw it years later and I've always enjoyed it.
>>
It's not good, but it's not bad, either. Costner didn't get too pretentious until The Postman, now that fucking sucked shit.
>>
>"The cost controversy aside, Waterworld is a decent futuristic action picture with some great sets, some intriguing ideas, and a few images that will stay with me. It could have been more, it could have been better, and it could have made me care about the characters. It's one of those marginal pictures you're not unhappy to have seen, but can't quite recommend."
>>
>>67101958
I liked it.

It was a campy 1990's scifi which was typical of the era.

Critics back then just hate fun and imagination, hell hollywood still kind of hates scifi and fantasy, but they can't ignore how much money things like lotr and harry potter.
>>
>>67102050
>it made back its cost and then some.
Maybe not.

>Budget $172 million[2]
>Box office $264.2 million[3]

Now take into account marketing costs that can run up to 100 million and other costs for distribution and rights around the world. It might have earned zero potentially or even lost some in the box office. If it did somehow manage to make money and the advertising costs weren't that great it definitely didn't hit what they were going for. I'm doubting PPV and VHS sales made it an amazing investment.

Also I heard Costner blackmailed them during filming and refused to do his job unless they gave him the house he was living in down there even though that was never intended.
>>
>>67101958
I like Waterworld. I like The Postman too.
>>
Waterworld was literally Mad Max Fury Road of the 90s good practical effects with bad story
>>
>>67101958
Waterworld is my guilty pleasure. I don't think it's NEARLY as bad as people say, but regardless I really enjoy it.
>>
>mfw the little girl name is Enola
>mfw enola backwards is Alone
>mfw that actress is the girl from Napoleon Dynamite.
>mfw she befriends a "fish out of water"

Waterworld is the truest kino.
>>
>>67103505
>The Postman
Nice, I just downloaded it. Gonna start it up now.
>>
>>67102561
No it didn't
>>
>>67101958
The action set pieces are top tier. Everything else is fucking awful.
>>
>>67101958
It's a really really bad movie, if you can't see it you just have bad taste
>>
>>67102499
go away faggot
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.