[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any good film noires I can watch /tv/? I want to understand the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1457978353437.gif (120 KB, 281x199) Image search: [Google]
1457978353437.gif
120 KB, 281x199
Any good film noires I can watch /tv/? I want to understand the medium a bit more.
>>
Double Indemnity

it's fucking fantastic
>>
Don't mind me, just being one of the best films ever made.
>>
File: it's chinatown.jpg (119 KB, 1600x817) Image search: [Google]
it's chinatown.jpg
119 KB, 1600x817
>>
>>67094488
not film noir

Agreed on Double Indemnity, and watch Out of the Past too for an almost parodic approach to the cinematography associated with the genre.
>>
>>67094371
That egg looks like Morty
>>
>>67094488
>Casablanca
>noir
>>
MAX PAYNE
>>
File: maltese falcon.jpg (618 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
maltese falcon.jpg
618 KB, 1280x960
>>67094542
>>67094556
It's absolutely got stylistic elements of film noir. Arthur Edeson was the DP for this and the maltese falcon.

Also, Maltese Falcon.
>>
>>67094705
>It's absolutely got stylistic elements of film noir
To the extent that all black and white films utilize shadows and the like.

They really have nothing in common, noir is pessimistic and cynical, about men losing themselves and caught in events out of their control. Casablanca is about a guy putting aside his worst traits for the greater good, its a romance movie where he gives up the girl
>>
>>67094705
Film noir isn't only aesthetics, and no, it only has some common points with the film noir style, that mostly have to do with black and white cinematography. Shadows will always be starkly contrasted in black and white.

Thematically it's a romantic drama with a historical context set in war, nothing to do with film noir.
>>
The Killers (1946)
>>
double indemnity
the big sleep
the 'classic' noirs

sweet smell of success is amazing though some people don't count it.
>>
http://nobudge.com/main/new-cops
>>
I've never really dived into real noir, but here are some fringe noir movies I've enjoyed:
Brick
Soylent Green
Chinatown
Bladerunner
Fallen Angels
In The Mood For Love (kind of noir?)
>>
Le Samourai
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.