[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mad Max and the races of the spirit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
I just wrote a long spiel on the subject of the conception of spiritual racial types and their principles within the framework of the ancient Greek mythological canon, and how the interplay between them in civilization leads to the growth and decay of culture, but after watching Mad Max Fury Road, I realized how perfectly these ideas align with it's story and I'm going to lay all of that out here.

First, let's look at the three main racial types and the characters that represent them within the story. First we have the Solar or Olympian race as the primary and definitive race who's paternal centrality all of the other races revolve and are defined by, which is expressed through Immortan Joe. The Solar principles of paternal masculine virility are given the connotation of divinity and Godliness, symbolically represented as the sky and most important in this context the sun, the luminescence of which defines the next racial type, the Demetrian or Lunar race. The Lunar race is expressed through the symbol of the moon, and like the moon which is given it's luminescence by the light of the sun, the Lunar race draws it's principles from others, with a compulsion towards naturalistic law rather than the celestial law of Olympian civilization and given the connotation of matriarchal fertility and femininity, which is represented by Immortans brides.

Standing opposite the Solar race and the Olympian man is the Telluric, or earth born race and the Titanic man, who we see through the character of Mad Max himself. While the Olympian man is defined by a calm, knowing dominance, a natural centrality of being and a sense of spiritual supernaturalness that imposes both fear and admiration, which we see through the citadel of Immortan Joe and the devotion of his war boys, the Titanic man is defined by an inner instability and a compulsion only towards instinctual immediacy in thought and action, which we see through Max being driven only by survival.
>>
>>67092254
The arrival of the Titanic man within a civilization dominated by the Solar principle of the Olympian man threatens it's centrality and spiritual superiority. The presence of Telluric forces within Solar culture results in the liberation of forces previously restrained and subjugated by a higher or divine law, Telluric forces more easily emerging in women, and in the context of this discussion it emerges as the liberation of the Lunar race of femininity. When the Lunar race is subjected to the abuse of the Olympian or faced with the instability of the Titanic man, the Lunar femininity violently rematerializes as the Amazonian race asserting it's own masculinity to oppose the Solar and Telluric masculinities in an effort to restore the matriarchal Lunar principle. We see this through Furiosa and the Vulvalini. The Titanic man side by side with the newly liberated Amazonian and Telluric races mark the final stage of decay and destruction within the Solar civilization. This in essence, encompasses the entirety of the conflict in Mad Max Fury Road, the cosmic cycle of rising and descending Solar and Lunar principles in conflict with one another.

What this movie could have captured better though, is that neither the nature of Titanic race nor the Amazonian race are fit for the dignity usurped from the Olympian man, the Amazonian lacking the transcendent spiritual alignment of the Olympian man with his Solar principle, and the Titanic man's instability leading only to constant upheaval, the Telluric race known to only bring about an existence in the desert. We see an example of what the alignment of the Telluric principles with the matriarchal principles of the Lunar race in the desolate existence the Vulvanini created for themselves apart from the luminescent centrality of the Solar principle that it needs to define itself.

Mad Max Fury Road is a mythological battle between Olympian and Titanic forces, ending with the usurpation of Zeus by the Amazons
>>
File: mad-max-fury-road-2.jpg (325 KB, 920x380) Image search: [Google]
mad-max-fury-road-2.jpg
325 KB, 920x380
I've honestly come to think that this mythological connotation that I've laid out here was intentionally woven into the story, as Max is with great clarity defined as the earth born Titanic man inttoduced literally emerging from the earth, opposite the introduction of the celestially aligned Immortan Joe atop his citadel as the Olympian sky father. They're both perfect representations of the archetypes, just as Furiosa is of the Amazon
>>
>>67092254
>>67092986
>>67093756
What were the people clamoring for water under Immortan Joe? Telluric?

Also, where did this phraseology come from?

All in all, nice posts I like. 10/10.
>>
I hope the, "Fury Road was a good movie worth watching again and discussing in depth" meme catches on.

It's funnier than Pest posting.
>>
>>67093948
Yes, they are the unstable Telluric race living only by their instinctual immediacy under the domination of the Solar principle. In the same way we see the relationship between the dominant masculine Solar and the passive feminine Lunar in the luminescence of the moon being a reflection of the centrality of the suns light, we see the relationship between the Solar and the Telluric expressed symbolically through the imagery of the earth being given shape and definition by the life giving rays of sun and the rain from the sky.

This notion leads to another key aspect of the interplay between the spiritual races in the role sexuality and it's liberation from the Solar principle emerges. Solar sexuality is expressed most clearly through the mythological figures of the sky father Uranus, the active masculine force that gives shape to the world and the earth mother Gaia, the passive unformed matter that is the object of the sky fathers design. Solar sexuality had a spiritual connotation beyond material and physical pleasure, as they saw their masculine phallic power as a divine source of life creation, the well spring from which whole generations flow. It imposes total impersonal subjugation of the earth mother and the feminine principle. From this, we see the Titanic man emerge from the Telluric race as a masculine ideal in alliance with his earth mother rather than it's subjugater compelled to liberate the feminine principle from the Solar.

This is where we see the Telluric and Lunar races aligned in their liberation, the moon also known as the "extinguished sun" or the "celestial earth", the matriarchal principles of the Lunar race one with the naturalistic laws of the Telluric race. The liberation of Lunar femininity by the Titanic man sees the Lunar race split into two extremes, the transfigured masculinity of the Amazonian, and the emergence of a new race, the Aphroditian, who's unrestricted girlish femininity brings a material opulence into culture
>>
That's a big post
>>
>>67094807
We didn't really see the emergence of the Aphroditian by the conclusion of Fury Road, but from what we saw of the nature of the Brides, one could easily assume that their liberation would lead to at least a partial transfiguration as the new Aphroditian race and will bring out an unrestrained femininity and sense of glamour within the matriarchal rule of the citadel
>>
>>67094546
The broadness of it's archetypes and imagery is what allowed for this sense of a mythological feeling to be found in it. You can express depth in simplicity
>>
I liked the part where they drove real fast in the desert
>>
>>67095409

I liked the part where things exploded and there was fire and bright colors shot across the screen.

With the masterful editing you could even tell which car was crashing at any given moment.
>>
Did you do this for school, or because you had free time? Either way I don't see how this is going to help you get out of cashiering op
>>
File: thot.png (68 KB, 211x181) Image search: [Google]
thot.png
68 KB, 211x181
>>67092254
> Rebooting a dormant and beloved franchise
> Some great films, but lost its way towards the end
> Set it in an unforgiving desert
> Sprawling and immersive set pieces
> Visually stunning with brilliant cinematography
> Immersive and coherent action
> Seamlessly integrates practical effects and CGI
> Brings back a cherished hero to hand off the series
> Mythology and universe adeptly expanded
> New characters are rich and colorful
> New villains are menacing and competent foes
> Strong female performance anchors the film
Pic unrelated, I’m talking about Mad Max: Fury Road
>>
>>67095857
>> New villains are menacing and competent foes
You mean the guy who looks like an older He-Man?
>>
Just for fun, let's look at the final two races of the spirit that emerge in this dramaturgy of civilization. These final two races have their entrance into the scene paved when the stage is set as such, the centrality of the Solar principle in a ruinous form facing it's final hour, threatened by the usurpation and instability of the Titanic man and the assertion of the Lunar principle from the masculinity of the Amazonian, the Telluric and Lunar races in their liberation intertwining and bringing forth a sexual promiscuity into civilization that divides it from finding transcendent and spiritual alignment, men subservient to the sensuality and material opulence of the Aphroditic, their phallic sexuality severed from it's masculine divinity and reduced to the service of mere physical pleasure, the lower natured material sensations of the Telluric over taking Olympian spiritual traditions within culture.

At this point, the ideal of the Olympian principle, figures such as Zeus and Apollo, will imbue within the spiritual deviated humanity the potential to restore the Olympian principles into the world through undergoing an inner transformation regaining the lost Solar state, then challenging and overcoming the forces levied against the Solar civilization, imposing order upon Telluric instability destroying the Amazons and restoring the original passive Demetrian nature of the Lunar race, setting the cycle of civilization back to the centrality of Olympian domination. If this potential is achieved, the Heroic race is born. Where the avavistic Olympian man aligned with his Solar nature naturally and knowingly, the Heroic man is given the embodiment of his solar nature as a task or duty to be fulfilled through great actions and achievements, needing an initiation.
>>
>>67092254
>>67093948
>>67094807
>>67095112
>>67095331
>>67096810

So much samefaggin, i refuse to believe people still participate and engage in actual discussions on this site.
>>
>>67096872

Just based on the post count and the fact that I've posted twice in this thread before now, it's not possible that those are all the same person unless her reset his IP at some point.
>>
>>67096810
If we see this potential fail to be realized, we see the paternal Olympian principle rematerialize in the form of the maternal Dionysian principle, who emerges within civilization to restore a new Solar virility in preperation of the victories of the Lunar matriarchs. While the paternal Solarity of the Olympian man was that of an immutable celestial light of divine alignment, the Solarity of the Dionysian man is of an earthly rising and setting nature, aspiring to alignment with the celestial light, but unable to overcome the ecstacies and sensuality of the Telluric and the Lunar, his Solar virility thus unable to be sustained and the Dionysian man unable to complete his transcendent transformation. This is where we find the end point of the Dionysian principle, a transformative death and rebirth tradition that sees the aspiration towards transcendent Solarity, the death and destruction of it's form and the return to Telluric/Lunar material promiscuity.

Within this though, we see complexity revealed within the sexual dynamics of the races. The Titanic man in his natural compulsion towards the liberation of the feminine Lunar, and the Dionysian mans passion in his endeavors towards establishing a renewed maternally aligned Solar virility for the Lunar race, the Titanic man and the Dionysian man can both emerge as the Romantic man, who opposed to the Olympian man, attempts to assume a masculine paternal role with the matriarchal Lunar that does not seek to conquer and subjugate herx but rather find harmony between their natures.
>>
Just to clarify how this concept of spiritual race is understood, this is not race defined by physical characteristics but rather the inner characteristics of individuals within humanity. The Solar man is patriarchal, masculine and spiritual, understanding his masculine nature to be one with the divinely masculine nature of God or the cosmos and is held as a superior nature calm and rational in his dominance, the Telluric man is held to be of an inferior nature, base, irrational and instinctually animalistic given to sudden impulse and unable to create civilization outside of it's most primitive forms, but despite all of this has a naturally powerful sexual virility. The Lunar man, who can be a man despite the feminine connotations most often aligning the Lunar with women, is a man of a contemplative and intellectual nature, often scholars and poets, who opposite the Solar man who sees himself as the center of his reality, views reality from a distance resigning to move among the shadows of ideas and things throughout his life in observation rather than action. The Lunar man is most prominently of a priestly caste in society, priests having a spiritually feminine nature in the face of the spirit of their faith that is aligned with the passivity of the Demetrian mode of the Lunar race. In this, spiritually Lunar men can undergo an Amazonian transfiguration finding renewed masculinity within themselves when their faith or it's institution is faced with abuse or instability in the effort to restore their Lunar principle.
>>
>>67095780
I recognized that this concept of spiritual race that I was reading about was reflected very vividly in Fury Road and I couldn't help the compulsion to write it all out
>>
>>67097924
As a side note, and this is especially in terms of thr Solar race, my usage of man in defining these races is not an exclusion of women. The Solar woman is most often understood as a reflection of the Solar man. Athena for example, is a woman who embodies the Solar principle.

We see the Titanic man and the division his liberation of the Lunar brings forth most vividly, besides with the Titans themselves obviously, within Ares, his Amazon daughters and his lover Athena.
>>
But OP, in traditional mythology the Titanic gods are overthrown by the Olympian gods, not the other way around.
>>
>>67099422

I haven't read any of OP's rambling walls of text, but my impression was always that the Olympian gods always lived with the constant threat of the inhuman monsters that were the titans, forever lurking below and waiting to wreak havoc.
>>
File: th-7.jpg (47 KB, 495x750) Image search: [Google]
th-7.jpg
47 KB, 495x750
>>67099422
Yes, that is where this movie differs. Mad Max is the Titan usurper and Immortan Joe is the Olympian sky father. If you look at it, it's quite the reflection of the deterioration taking hold in the central authority in society.

Regardless though, the continuous eruptions and calms of the battles between Olympian and Titanic forces throughout the entire mythological canon comprise a great deal of it's thematic depth and meaning. The theme of usurping the impersonal subjugating sky father to punish the abuse of the earth mother and for the liberation of feminine nature is chronologically the earliest myth in the canon, seen in Cronus and his castration of Ouranus.

It's not simply reflected in the God's and Titans alone though. The Olympian/Titan conflict over the centrality of dominance in the cosmos is reflected in the battles of mortal heroes and monsters. For example, Medusa as the Queen of the Gorgons was the heir to the Titan order and in the early beginning of the Heroic Age was the primary adversary of humanity under the Solar principle. Perseus, the first hero to emerge and usher in the Heroic Age succeeded in his transformation into the champion of Olympus, and using the same sickle bladed sword used in the castration of Ouranus dethroned Medusa from her Titanic reign
>>
>>67099808
It's long winded maybe, but not rambling
>>
Bump for discussion
>>
en garde、 fuckboy
en g
>>
éń ǵáŕdé, fúćḱbőӳ
ₑₙ gₐᵣdₑ, fᵤcₖbₒy
ቿክ ኗልዪዕቿ, ቻሁርጕጌዐሃ
>>
>>67099871
I saw that statue in florence last week
>>
So what does this say about our own society?

Do these archetypes spell out or predict a decay in our society in modern times?
>>
>>67100585
That would be awesome to see in person. Did you know it was a symbolic expression standing for the preservation and prosperity of culture and civilization in the face of the primitive archaic world and it's vulnerability to total cultural collapse from the ruination nature levies upon humanity and it's attempts to uplift civilizations?
>>
>>67095409
I preferred when they were all in a traffic jam after the canyon collapses.
The vehicles on standby, revving hard, with the band dispensing metal to keep up energy, got my dick rock solid.
>>
>>67100719
A weakening of central authority, a division from spiritual alignment and tradition, the liberation and cultural elation of feminine, animalistic and material desires in place of those traditions, increasing and accepted promiscuity and sexuality as a means of carnal pleasure rather than procreation and spiritual unity, cultural instability from forces that only seek upheaval in society, and the reduction of man to the seeker of base sensual fulfillment and woman increasingly cultivating material opulence and luxury within society while unearthing a pervasive eroticism at the same time
>>
File: 1445471428943.gif (3 MB, 448x251) Image search: [Google]
1445471428943.gif
3 MB, 448x251
>>67100819
>>
>>67101158
>>67100719
In my opinion though, I believe Western civilization has for a long time now had the Dionysian principle >>67097286 and it's cycles of the birth, aspiring rise then death of form followed by the return to material/sexual fulfillment in the wake of the destruction. It's our tradition now. Our cultures take joy in the destruction of form.

Fury Road is actually a testament to that thinking about it.
>>
>>67101180
I don't understand
>>
One last bump for the night
>>
File: 1435681149589.jpg (710 KB, 2000x1412) Image search: [Google]
1435681149589.jpg
710 KB, 2000x1412
What's the significance of the movie taking place in a post-apocalyptic world? How does that fit into OP's theory?
>>
>>67102347
It serves to heighten the contrast between a world with an ordered civilization to live within and a world without one. In the context of Greek mythology, the forces of the Titans threatened to permanently eradicate the civilizations being built by the Olympians if they over took them. In that time, civilization was fragile and found itself surrounded by a savage untamed world not suitable for settlement. The setting of the movie mirrors this era of antiquity without being set in the past
>>
>>67102347
>>67102536
It also might be that Immortan Joe and his citadel are meant to be the last bastion of the Solar principle left in the world after a long process of gradual decay and collapse dating back to before all civilization imploded
>>
>>67102536
>>67102600
Smart stuff. Thanks for bringing some good discussion to /tv/.
>>
Have you considered writing this up as a blog post or article and posting it online?
>>
>>67103085
No, I've only ever posted things like this anonymously. I guess I never really considered doing it any other way
>>
>>67103042
It's a good outlet for when I over do it with amphetamines and need to focus my thinking ion something while I'm speeding off the rails like tonight
>>
Resurrection
>>
File: trump-aging.jpg (65 KB, 530x960) Image search: [Google]
trump-aging.jpg
65 KB, 530x960
Blimey.
>>
Saved
>>
>>67096872
>hurr durr everyone must be as dumb as me

Fuck off.

>>67096810
>>67097286
>>67097924
Where do I go for further reading? Thanks bro.
>>
>>67095857
I see what you did tharrr

You now know how to make a critically aclaimed post-2013 movie
>>
>>67109271
you dont believe it though
>>
Thank you op. I ... Don't know anything about Greek mythology other than clash of titans and I don't see anything Greek in this movie.

Nevertheless I thank you for reminding me that Joe is actually a good guy and Max and Furiosa should be losers
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.