[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark City (1998)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: Dark-City-1998-movie-poster.jpg (183 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
Dark-City-1998-movie-poster.jpg
183 KB, 800x1067
What are your thoughts about this movie? I've seen it recently and liked it.
>>
File: jennifer-connelly.png (406 KB, 410x800) Image search: [Google]
jennifer-connelly.png
406 KB, 410x800
>>67086664
D R O P P E D
>>
>>67086664
Solid 7/10. Amazing set designs. Decent acting. Based Rufus. Probably the best piece of cinema from Proyas.

Shame that he lost it forever since then.
>>
>>67087179
more like a 8 or 9 imo
the set / atmosphere is really good
the "noir" movie feel is great
the plot is great
main characters are acting well and have charisma
jennifer connelly is hot as fuck

The ending is really a mindfuck: I always understood it as "the whole human race as we know it was actually always this one fake town" which blew my mind when I was 14. But I think the cannon explanation is that it's a spaceship where were abducted people from earth, which one is correct?
>>
This film still holds a certain mystique for me since I saw it as a kid. I remember leaving the theater and some fat guy exclaiming "Man, that sucked!" while I was still riding the high of a great imaginative movie. Still very fond of it, always had a soft spot for everyone involved with it since.
>>
>>67087280
I liked to think it was just a "We can build a new world for ourselves" kind of metaphor at the end, even if that's not exactly what John did.
>>
>>67087280
>On the DVD commentary, co-writer David S. Goyer reveals two possible explanations for the origin of the inhabitants of Dark City. In his original story outline, director Alex Proyas believed the humans to have been passengers aboard an interstellar spaceship who were captured by the Strangers. Goyer favors a more spiritual approach, supposing that the humans are in fact dead and that Dark City is a sort of purgatory made up of people the Strangers have selected or abducted from different eras in history.
>>
The cartoony fight between Neo and Smith was the only low point.
>>
File: 1394241036255.jpg (10 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
1394241036255.jpg
10 KB, 200x189
https://youtu.be/COSWXSj4uJ8?t=251
>that god tier monologue
>>
>>67087285
>This film still holds a certain mystique for me since I saw it as a kid. I remember leaving the theater and some fat guy exclaiming "Man, that sucked!" while I was still riding the high of a great imaginative movie. Still very fond of it, always had a soft spot for everyone involved with it since.
honestly this is the exact same experience for me even though I saw it on VHS at 13 or so
it really has this "mystique" as you said that I can't really describe otherwise, and the general themes and especially the ending blew my mind
>>
Sucks the director went off the deep end. He made that 'Exodus gods and kings' film
>>
File: dark-city_528_poster.jpg (53 KB, 528x221) Image search: [Google]
dark-city_528_poster.jpg
53 KB, 528x221
>>67087362
yeah so it's actually supposed to be abducted people from our regular earth, right?
I don't know why I thought we were supposed to think that humanity itself had never more than what is contained in the city itself. I remember it got me really thinking about deep stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrRkVNVboFs
>>
>>67086664
Saw it years ago back when I would still rent DVDs from a store on weekends and it was very good.
>>
The atrocious special effects honestly made it a 6/10 for me, other than that it would have been good.
>>
I haven't watched this in more than 10 years but I really liked it back then.
>>
>>67087608
Ridley Scott made Exodus: Gods & Kings.
You're thinking of Gods of Egypt, which he made.
>>
>>67087884
Yeah... shit, some big budget movies coming out these days are so similar.
>>
>>67087946
Totally. No more originality. Cinema is pretty much shit right now, with a few exceptions.
>>
>>67086664
Weird movie but I liked it would rate it a 7/10 or so.
>>
>>67086664
Matrix was better
>>
>>67087116
I love this
>>
>>67086664
watch gods of egypt it's from the same director. you'll be surprised
>>
it would've been a better movie had the studio not insisted on a VO at the beginning explaining the whole secret plot about the ayys.
>>
Jennifer Connelly has never been as attractive or high test as she was in this movie except for maybe mulholland falls
>>
>>67086664
Loved it. For some reason I've had this song stuck in my head for days:

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1457716847531.webm
boards.4chan.org/wsg/thread/981902/comfy-webm-thread#p984957
>>
>>67087280
>>67087362
In the movie it tells that they were abducted.
>>
>>67090749
This one seems to be the best version I can find online,

http://webmshare.com/NM8DW
>>
>>67087179
I finally realized Rufus was the villain in A Knight's Tale, I really like him but don't know much of his work I guess.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.