[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was he really that evil?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: fring.jpg (17 KB, 308x287) Image search: [Google]
fring.jpg
17 KB, 308x287
Was he really that evil?
>>
No.
Any argument is invalid.
>>
Any sympathy (and there wasn't any to be had) was lost after slitting a man's throat with a box cutter for essentially no reason but to send a message
>>
>>67066157
He did it because people saw his face at the crime scene. He wanted Walt to think it was just to send him a message.
>>
>>67066135
he's just a business man
>>
>>67066157
That's how shit works
>>
>>67066135

Absolutely.

He was an unrepentantly murderous peddler of addictive poison with no qualms about exploiting children to a fatal degree in order to fulfill his greed and ego.
>>
how did he fix his suit with half he had blown off
>>
>>67066135
He wasn't sadistic, but that didn't mean he wasn't a complete sociopath.
>>
The only redeeming side they showed of him was when he wiped out the rival drug cartel as revenge for them killing his partner decades earlier. Showed he still had a heart.
>>
>>67066135
Absolutely.

The dude was completely ruthless.

He had entire populations of disenfranchised people stolen across borders working under threat of death with no escape. That alone should be enough.
>>
>>67066842

But it showed he was a gay, so therefore evil
>>
>>67066868
"It showed he was a gay"

No it didn't, you fucking fag. It was up for interpretation, sure. His chemist could just as easily been a friend he grew up with.

You're a fucking moron, kid. That was the entire point of the whole arc. You didn't know exactly who his partner was and what got him so heated.
>>
>>67066135
Anyone else feel like this is where Walt went off the deep end? He could have just worked for gus and been on his merry way but no he just had to have Jessie again because....why again?

When the show was on I just wanted more screen time of them together but upon rewatching it seems like his hubris takes over around here.
>>
>>67066917

you're a gay
>>
>Walt goes to his house for dinner
>there are kids toys in his house
>talks about kids not eating his food

Did Gus have kids then?
>>
>>67066924
Worse than that, he could simply have sold his formula and retired from making drugs completely. Happy, safe family. Walt saw what he could become and it fucked his mind entirely.
>>
>>67067156
honestly that was going to be my other response, but I decided to just go full sperg
>>
>>67067211
I was wondering about that too. I don't want a fucking spinoff on him but I wish they showed a bit more of his personal life. Like what did he do with hundreds of millions of dollars?
>>
>>67066135

If the cartels did not mess with him

if Walt stayed in line

If Walt did not help Jesse when he tried to kill the two street dealers

No blood would flow
>>
>>67066135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EzVBOIfqE
>>
>>67066135
A necessary evil. But he got beat at his own game.
>>
>>67067322
>Like what did he do with hundreds of millions of dollars?
He probably funded a lot of chemistry research, in memory of his dead former partner.
>>
>>67066157
But the message was extremely well thought out.

Walter was obsessed with keeping Jesse, his partner, while Gus knew that nothing can stand in his way, not even his partner.

P O T T E R Y
>>
>>67066135
Did literally nothing wrong. Fucking Walter just fucked up everything he touched.
>>
>>67067381
Oh right, the scholarship program he had running too. Damn, that's kinda sad :(
>>
>>67066917
>It was up for interpretation,
>Gus murders an entire bloodline over some business partner
sure
>>
>>67066788
Shhhhh people like to think it's not a big deal because Breaking Bad is goat 10/10.
>>
>>67066157
He was personally offended by the man's contention that "it's a recipe, anyone can do it" behind his argument that Walt was unnecessary, after his chef partner made an impassioned plea for his own importance to that mexican cartel leader. It wasn't just pottery, it was insight.
And of course that doesn't """justify""" cutting his throat, but it's easy to empathize with Gus in that knowing his background.
>>
>>67066135
>I will kill your infant daughter
>>
>>67067460
Walt killed all those nazis for Jesse. Drug partnership transcends any form of erotic love.
>>
File: Sad Keanu.png (134 KB, 241x425) Image search: [Google]
Sad Keanu.png
134 KB, 241x425
>>67067596
>You will never check the news one morning and read that a middle aged high school chemistry teacher turned drug lord killed half a dozen Nazis with a robot machine gun
>>
>>67067596
Nah, according to Gilligan Walt planned to kill Jesse along with the nazis but changed his mind when he saw how he had been treated by them.
>>
File: trashcans.jpg (50 KB, 499x497) Image search: [Google]
trashcans.jpg
50 KB, 499x497
>>67067894
>according to Gilligan
>>
>Mike Ehrmantraut: We had a good thing, you stupid son of a bitch! We had Fring. We had a lab. We had everything we needed, and it all ran like clockwork. You could've shut your mouth, cooked and made as much money as you ever needed. It was perfect. But, no, you just had to blow it up. You and your pride and your ego! You just had to be the man. If you'd done your job, known your place, we'd all be fine right now.

For some reason this quote always stuck with me.

Gus was not "evil". He was the glue that held everything together. A very capable businessman, he kept things running smoothly, and he would have kept doing so had Walt not fucked things up for everyone involved.

He certainly had an axe to grind with Hector and the Mexican cartel, but given his past, one could certainly argue that it was justified. And even that he would have been able to manage had Walt not interfered.

He may have taken some drastic measures near the end, but I think in many ways Walt forced Gus's hand. Had Walt not started posing a threat to Gus and his empire, I think things would have just continued on like clockwork.
>>
File: giphy.gif (1001 KB, 485x242) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1001 KB, 485x242
>>67067486
I don't like BB nearly as much as many other people do but it seriously isn't a big deal at all

like who the fuck even cares, it's just cool. most of the show is about being cool. it's the main motivation of Walt, he enjoys being a badass.
>>
>>67068063
>Dorky as fuck teacher who just wanted to be cool
>>
>>67067894
>according to Gilligan Walt
who the fuck is Gilligan Walt?
>>
>>67067486
there's this thing called "shock"
but whatever
>>
>>67068209
>Walter wants to be hardcore but his wife won't let him
>>
>>67066135
No, he just a ruthless business man in currently illegal business. Steve Jobs was a ruthless business man.

Personally, the goverment should just let big pharma make happy drugs that people can afford, end the drug war right there.
>>
He's quite reasonable as opposed to Tuco.

Just don't get in his way. He's more pragmatic-evil
>>
>>67068050
My interpretation was always that Walt was just being a paranoid asshole and fucked everything up for no reason even tho Gus was probably going to let him go after the deal was over if he so wanted

and this line pretty much confirmed all that
>>
>>67067596
Pretty sure he killed them in revenge for them killing Hank.
>>
>>67066788
adrenaline
>>
>>67066443

Explain that part, I forget sorry.
>>
>>67066135
Sociopath is the correct term.
>>
>>67066135
All he wanted to do was sell some chicken and meth.
>>
>>67068525
The guy from the island.
>>
I loved when his face fucking blowed up
>>
>>67066157
>fucked up by letting people see his face
>tries to imitate walt's perfect recipe

Gus is really pissed about the Gale issue and he ain't got time for bullshit.
>>
>black character
>major enterprise is selling chickens

BRAVO GILLIGAN
>>
>>67066135
he's such a fucking homo
>>
>>67066917
>gus
>not homo as fuck
top lel
>>
>>67066135
He was a necessary evil. He kept balance in the criminal empire, and before Walt's shit kept any and all terms peaceful, even with the druglords that killed his partner. The balance was destroyed when Gus basically got Hector on a silver platter.
>>
>>67069283
Gus treated his workers well. We saw him even bend over backwards for them when he needed to, no repercussions. You serve him well, and he'll be your biggest ally. I believe Gus when he said he was going to leave Walt alone. I think that by that point he wanted to return his business to its balance, but Walt had to be a fuckup and go after Gus.
>>
>>67068931

>Walter wants to be hardcore but his wife fucked Ted
>>
File: B-fwssdIEAAAATS.jpg (18 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
B-fwssdIEAAAATS.jpg
18 KB, 367x500
>>67066917
>kid
>>
>>67066135
I found him more sympathetic than Walt desu, he was doing all of this to avenge his boyfriend, while Walt was doing all of it because "muh ego".
>>
I have not heard anyone calling him "evil".
He was portrayed in the show to be more likable than Walt in several scenes.
especially in the death scene, Walt was straight up the bad guy in that scene
>>
>>67066788
they wanted to give gus a "mythic death" because he was so seemingly invincible. one last KEK to the audience before he finally carks it
>>
are you serious dude

the shows "big thing" is that when you take a step back and look at the big picture Walt was the bad guy. Mike's "we had a good thing going" speech before he gets shot basically sums it up

So no he wasn't that evil but realistically a lot of his justifications are sort of an afterthought
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.