[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best Coldwar spy films? I prefer historical fiction to stupid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: imgres.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
best Coldwar spy films? I prefer historical fiction to stupid stuff like james bond/mission impossible or whatever
>>
Oh god that movie was so fucking boring

What was the fucking point of that flaming bird or bat or whatever flying around the classroom
>>
>>67059710
honestly one of the dullest movie ive ever seen.
>>
>>67059710
bridge of spies turned out to be really good, which is no real surprise since tom hanks was in it and he's pretty selective about his roles
>>
bridge of spies is really good
>>
>>67059710
You just posted it

Can't understand how people call this movie dull, it has such a perfectly executed atmosphere
>>
>>67059710
Where the fuck is Smiley's People?
>>
The Good Shepard

The Lives of Others
>>
Alfred Hitchcock's Topaz
>>
>>67059891
>>67060416
>>67060539
>>67062095
Tinker was god tier. Bridge of Spies was one of the most forgettable movies I've seen. Decent but forgettable

Can't say I've seen any other 'realistic' cold war spy films, would be interested in seeing more though
>>
>>67062718
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold?

I like the first three Harry Palmer movies quite a bit. The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin, and The Billion Dollar Brain.
>>
>>67062718
haven't seen argo yet but it's on my list to watch, op might consider it too
>>
>>67062794
ARGO is great. Especially the Director's Cut.
>>
File: Shadow-Dancer-ruins-lives.jpg (62 KB, 450x234) Image search: [Google]
Shadow-Dancer-ruins-lives.jpg
62 KB, 450x234
There's a merge function right? It's such a shame these >>67061771 two threads can't merge.
>>
>>67062976
nah, it merits two different threads because they're both interested in different types of spy movies. any movie that would satisfy one would likely dissapoint the other
>>
File: Fifty Dead Men Walking.jpg (232 KB, 1800x1015) Image search: [Google]
Fifty Dead Men Walking.jpg
232 KB, 1800x1015
>>67063099
Me existing already disproves your statement. I like both. Out of necessity. There are really very few genre films that come close to TTSS esthetics, I think it's only Lives of Others and Hitchcock. There's not enough material to sustain a thread.

So the other bong-style thrillers that just snap on a filter for that dull, gritty look needs mentioning.
>>
if you are into camp then you should check out the flint movies, in like flint and our man flint
https://youtu.be/y1Bxoar17FY
>>
>>67059710
You want a movie about CIA?
>>
>>67059710
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold was better
>>
>>67063719
the good shepherd?
>>
>>67059710
Good film. Ending in the book was better.
>>
>>67062251
the cinematography in this film was unreal, also the Budapest scene in the beginning is one of my favorite scenes in film. I don't know why but its just burned into my memory.
>>
Terrible film. So many scenes of people sitting around staring into space not talking. For a drab looking cold war film with no action, I wanted to tear my hair out at how boring it was.
>>
>>67059710
Pic extremely related.
>>
This is based on a Graham Greene novel and is Otto Preminger's final film. Great cast of British actors; recommended.
>>
>>67059891
>>67060416
>>67066599
>>67066599

People with actual shit taste.

>>67062251

This.
>>
Munich

It doesn't directly involve the cold war, but it's a spy movie from the same era.
>>
>>67066870
https://youtu.be/442J1ASPseQ

This little 1 minute clip basically shows you all you're going to see in this film. People sitting around talking. No tension, no excitement, no emotions. Literally just reading lines off of the script. A 1 minute conversation now takes 3 because heck, why not. Just stare into space for a bit and try to look cool. That's how you build characters and atmosphere.
>>
>>67067658
you're obviously trolling because there's no way anyone could have such bad taste in film
>>
>>67066836
I wonder how much Saul Bass got payed to put that poster together.
>>
>>67067834
Prove me wrong please.
>>
>>67059710
The thin man, quiet american, also you reminded me the Americans is coming back on fx
>>
>>67059710
Expected it to be as good as Munich. It ends up being completely worthless plotless shit without any suspense and with everyone just being gay.
>>
>>67067916
I sum commensurate with his talents.
>>
would Charade count?
>>
File: TinkerTailorSoldierSpy1.jpg (16 KB, 333x298) Image search: [Google]
TinkerTailorSoldierSpy1.jpg
16 KB, 333x298
>>67068722
>Expected it to be as good as Munich. It ends up being completely worthless plotless shit without any suspense and with everyone just being gay.

Kill yourself my man
>>
>>67068745
It probably took him 35 minutes to throw that together
>>
>>67069013
Prove me wrong faggot
>>
>>67067834
>he think TTSP is a "film"
HA

au contraire...
>>
>>67069050
I dunno. It's based on an image from the film, so it has a thematic connection and isn't just something he threw together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ignl1WwvyiU
>>
A most wanted man
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.