[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you really think she is a "Strong Woman" like most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Ellen_Ripley.png (1 MB, 1000x1249) Image search: [Google]
Ellen_Ripley.png
1 MB, 1000x1249
Do you really think she is a "Strong Woman" like most people made her out to be when the Alien movies came out?
>>
>>67046640
I like moot.
>>
shes hot
>>
She's pretty cute desu senpai
>>
>>67046640
IMAGINE
>>
>>67046640

Her role was written for a man. but essentially the character is written as gender neutral as possible, they never bring up anything specific to their gender, no female intuition bullshit, Ripley is straight up a well written character who asks the right questions and acts (for the most part) intelligently given the situation.

And before you bring up Jones, any of you motherfuckers that wouldn't try to save your pet when everyone else is fucked are inhuman scumbags who deserve an egg down your throat.
>>
>>67046640
Well she was strong protagonist who fought for survival.
>>
>>67046768
Cats are the worst pets. Fuck cats. Send them all to space, I don't give a fuck.
>>
>muh cat
>>
>>67046640
Ripley is feminism done right desu
>>
>>67046768

Helps that there's never any specific stronk wimmin moments in the movies, at least as far as I remember. All of the ballsy/smart moves she makes are just part of who she is; the films never try to shove the whole 'look girls can be brave too' spiel down your throat.

Also, she reacts as any normal human being would react to the situation(s); fucking sheer terror. She's never shown as being obnoxiously stoic in the face of horror, she's just as jumpy and afraid as the audience is, which ultimately makes you root for her and more impressed when she survives.
>>
>>67046768
That goes for the first movie yeah. In the second movie her strength to save Newt comes from motherly love. Yeah you could replace her with a guy and say it's fatherly love, but her strength is still more related to her gender than in the first.
>>
>>67046768
I kind of feel that she was the only one to survive, because she maintained a healthy balance between pure logic and emotion, never really letting one dictate the other. Even when she refused to let Kane back onto the ship, it was entirely because she didn't want to endanger any of the other crewmembers. It was the smart thing to do, but not really coldhearted.

One could interpret her rescuing Jones as an attempt to save at least one "member" of the crew, maybe because she subconciously felt that she failed to protect the others.
Plus, it really shows her compassionate side in the face of utmost despair. She doesn't even want to let a cat die out there, which is actually a pretty good setup for her relationship with Newt in the sequel.
>>
>>67047345
>>67047214

Yeah and protecting Newt also comes from "oh btw decades passed while in cryo, your daughter's dead, bitch."

oh.jpg
>>
File: 1437709080572.jpg (136 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1437709080572.jpg
136 KB, 640x640
You know what I'm tired of? Scenes where a guy tries to help a woman out like backing her up or helping her stand back up or something but then she goes all "I don't need your help" and then does everything all by herself and making the guy look dumb. It just keeps happening. I wish they would stop trying so hard.
>>
>>67047388
Only in the shitty extended cut.

That scene basically turns Newt into a mere replacement goldfish. Fuck that scene.
Cameron purely introduced her dead daughter (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they never mentioned her in the first one) for lazy foreshadowing and it actually cheapens her and Newt's relationship.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.