[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is your favorite contemporary director, /tv/? Someone who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1986x1324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1986x1324
Who is your favorite contemporary director, /tv/? Someone who started no earlier than 1990.

Go!
>>
The guy who does Mr. Robot. I don't know his name, I know that I would plow his miss until we both die.
>>
Denis Villeneuve
>>
Paul Thomas Anderson and his brother Wes
Asghar Farhadi
Duncan Jones
>>
Neveldine/Taylor, RIP their career though.
>>
Hirokazu Koreeda
>>
>>67045676

He looks like a Christian Bale's and some random goblin from Lord of the Rings love child.
>>
>>67045676
Read this OP if you have not before. Insightful
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/03/17/heavy-weather-2

>Aronofsy writes his films on the second floor of his place in Manhattan's East Village, at a custom-built desk of Bastogne walnut, inlaid with responsibly harvested macassar ebony and pink ivory. Twenty-five puzzles are concealed within it, cunning locks and springs and slides, and the front houses an octave of organ pipes you can play by sliding drawers in and out. As you solve the puzzles, you find hidden pieces of wood, each of which displays a few musical notes. When you put the pieces in order and play the resulting tune on the organ-an Irving Berlin song that was the first thing Aronofsky learned on the piano-it opens a secret safe: the final prize. It took him six weeks to pop the safe, and he had the plans.

>Away from the set, though Aronofsky can experience a kind of withdrawl. In 1996, he wrote in his diary about going to a rave in Thailand: "The tide came in, the sun came up, everyone kept dancing; the tide went out, the sun went down, everyone kept dancing. I was miserable because I wasn't making films.

Portman on her ecstasy scene:
>"Darren's not a druggie at all- he's a nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn," Portman told me. "But he wanted be to try it before doing the scene. I said, 'Just tell me what it's like!'"

>On set, Emma Watson, contemplating the prospect of a tzohar bomb going off ten feet away, murmured to Aronofsky, "Can we practice this?" He replied, "There is no practice." (...)

>At one point, the studio, which had final cut, made a version to appeal to the "Passion of the Christ" audience, excising Noah's drinking and lots of other stuff. It went from close to 3 hrs to 86 mins. Aronofsky was livid and refused to make the changes.

Rourke on Aronofsky:
>"He's an old-style Jew gangster, and that's why a lot of actors are afraid of him, he won't back down."
>>
File: 600full-richard-linklater.jpg (23 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
600full-richard-linklater.jpg
23 KB, 240x320
>>67045676
Not even a contest really. Would have been WKW but As Tears Go By came out in 1988
>>
The Anderson Brothers, easily.

Wes honoring a european tradition, and Paul Thomas a new American.
>>
meh i dont think its fair to pick one.. yet, but it would probably be ang lee. without looking, some of these may have started in the 80s

ang lee
danny boyle
david fincher
nicolas winding refn
fernando meirelles
park chan-wook
bong joon-ho
tarsem singh
richard linklater
kenneth branagh

i would really appreciate it if proyas and niccol got their shit together
>>
>>67046871
oh and wkw would have definitely been on this list if i hadn't seen this first
>>67046635
>>
>>67045676
He's one of the biggest hacks around.

I don't think he's ever had an original idea in his life.
>>
>>67047065
care to actually back up his unoriginality?
>>
>>67047579
Pi = Tetsuo
Black Swan = Perfect Blue
Noah = comic book
>>
>>67047662
This is lazy and naive man. I'm not even that big of a fan, but still. Black Swan was inspired partially by PB, but also Cassavetes' Opening Night and i'm sure more stuff. The Noah thing... Man, it's a biblical adaptation. The graphic novel, which isnt even that good, is a lot different than the film. Inspiration, homage, allusion, etc is employed by the greats, to nitpick otherwise is uninformed.
>>
>>67047783
He's certainly not one of the greats.

Black Swan was inspired wholly by Perfect Blue. He ripped scenes straight from it. It's shameless.
>>
>>67047662
>well first off aronofskys literally bought the rights to perfect blue so he could legally homage it as much as he wants and have even called black swan the closest thing to a perfect blue live action remake of the film hed ever do, second off he fucking wrote the noah comic himself with the guy who also co wrote the screenplay with him, and pi is an entirely different plot altogether that darren was only visually inspired byy, gonna have to try harder than that dude
>>
>>67047662
> lol its unoriginal because of slight homage
> probably circle jerks to tarantinos "poetry in his homage" when aronofsky at least bought the rights to his homage to perfect blue

are you really that fucking dense man?
>>
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Jafar Panahi
Nicolas Winding Refn
Asghar Farhadi
Nuri Bilge Ceylan
>>
Refn and Villanueve
>>
File: TerrenceMalick.jpg (482 KB, 2930x3535) Image search: [Google]
TerrenceMalick.jpg
482 KB, 2930x3535
He started making films in 1998
>>
>>67048449
LOOL
>>
>>67048541
Shut up.
>>
Gonna have to go with Inarittu
>>
File: david-fincher.jpg (308 KB, 1870x1156) Image search: [Google]
david-fincher.jpg
308 KB, 1870x1156
The Hurdy Gurdy Man
>>
File: 1401710243810.jpg (76 KB, 396x594) Image search: [Google]
1401710243810.jpg
76 KB, 396x594
>>
>>67049103
This fuckboy looking le cannes face.. Is actually pretty good, Mommy is one of the best films I've ever seen.
>>
>>67049388
>Mommy is one of the best films I've ever seen
Do you like soap operas too?
>>
>>67049411
Why would i watch opera in the shower?
>>
The Wachowski sister.
>>
File: Black-Bear-Desktop-Wallpaper1.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Black-Bear-Desktop-Wallpaper1.jpg
209 KB, 1920x1080
How about Rian Johnson? His ability to mimic genre's is very exciting. From the neo noir of Brick to the whimsy of The Brothers Bloom. I think he's on track to be one of the greats. Idk that's just this bears opinion. *shrugs* He's worth a mention.
>>
Ben Wheatly, Edgar Wright, Wes, Anderson, Quentin Tarantino
>>
Though I've only seen two of his films.
Only one I can think of that fits.
>>
>>67049806
Brick was fantastic at balancing two disparate tones and genres, his other two films were too messy. Bloom just meanders forever and Looper is two good movies squished together into one mediocre one
>>
File: bear-wallpaper-6.jpg (163 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
bear-wallpaper-6.jpg
163 KB, 1600x1200
>>67050275
I agree. He really could edit himself more. So could many of directors listed. That being said, think he has a unique enough voice to at least be mentioned here. He really did well with his tv shows he directed.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.