[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"there is no catharsis. My punishment continues to allude
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 600x350
>"there is no catharsis. My punishment continues to allude me"

What did he mean by this?

Is he saying he consciously/subconsciously wants to be punished for his crimes?
>>
>>67028013
nice try
>>
>>67028013
i am not sure
>>
He's upset at not getting dubs
>>
>>67028100
heyoo
>>
>>67028013
read the stranger
>>
>>67028013
He was a fucking attention whore, he was just angry they ignored his crimes.
>>
>>67028013
you mean elude
>>
whatever happened to the director? seems like she had potential
>>
>>67028013

He's remarking on the meaningless absurdity of how he has repeatedly gotten away with impulsive violent murder. He doesn't want punishment, he's an unfeeling, unrepentant psychopath who doesn't truly understand himself or the things he does.

He is aware of all of this and feels no catharsis in admitting this to himself, further cementing his nihilistic worldview and depraved psychopathy.
>>
>>67028402
>He doesn't want punishment,
the film sort of shows you he does
>>
>>67028441

He doesn't truly want punishment. He's on the brink of insanity and desperately testing how far he's able to take things, since it seems that in his debauched world of infinite wealth, nothing has any meaning. And as we've seen, his confession to his lawyer is indeed meaningless since nobody believes that Pat Bateman has the balls to do anything of the things he confessed to.
>>
>>67028687
why confess at all or feel paranoid if hes truly so psychotic
>>
>>67028838

Psychosis is breaking from reality and isn't the same as psychopathy, which is the utter absence of a conscience combined with antisocial tendencies.

Paranoia and desperation aren't mutually exclusive from psychopathy. He doesn't feel invincible, the faceless yuppie society he lives in just makes him so.
>>
>>67028962
psychopaths don't have anti social tendencies
>>
>>67029218

I don't think you know what antisocial means. It's cool man, stupid people are important too
>>
>>67028013
Yes, like (mostly) all psychopaths they WANT to be reprimanded, they WANT to be punished because they know they SHOULD be, but the fact that they can avoid capture both excites them and infuriates them. It's why the police and FBI don't release info about serial killers, so that they get sloppy trying to make their crimes more noticeable.
>>
>>67028962
>>67028687
>>67028402

I think you're misinterpreting. The line, "there is no catharsis," is that even after admitting everything to his lawyer nothing happens. Think of it like jerking off for so damn long, constantly edging, edging, edging, and then you don't cum. That's what Pat is talking about. Every human being yearns for catharsis, and we seek it in the form of entertainment, making our own entertainment. Pat Bateman didn't get his because the world is indifferent to his atrocities.
>>
>>67029311

Essentially what this guy said. Dubs of truth.
>>
>>67029281
what are you talking about you spaz
>>
>>67029339

Nah, read the book, m8. His "confession" doesn't refer to the voicemail he left his lawyer, it refers to the confession he's made to himself

>>67029311

Psychopaths do NOT want punishment. It's the evasion of punishment that fuels their grandiosity.
>>
>>67029465
>Nah, read the book, m8. His "confession" doesn't refer to the voicemail he left his lawyer, it refers to the confession he's made to himself

>Implying book = movie

If so that's pretty lame.
>>
You know how in real life, some serial killers leave notes, evidence, calling cards, etc? It's because even though they won't give away their identity since that means jail, they still want to claim some kind of responsibility for their deeds. It might be because they want to be punished or caught, but they might also just like being smarter than people.

Since no one gives a single fuck about who or how many people Bateman kills he is denied that satisfaction so nothing he does truly matters. That's just how I interpret it.
>>
>>67029815

Ahhh that's fair.
>>
>>67029815
bateman didn't actually kill anyone
>>
>>67028013
No shit
>>
>>67028013
>My punishment continues to allude me

This is stupid. All he has to do is go to a shopping mall or some other crowded public area and go on a killing spree. Plot hole much?
>>
>>67030382
Best meme.
>>
>>67029218
I think perhaps you're getting sociopath confused with psychopath. Sociopaths indeed do not necessarily have anti-social tendency. Murder is very much anti-social.
>>
>>67031417
>Murder is very much anti-social
LOL, it's like you've never kept a secret rape-slave family underneath your toolshed while you lived a normal, hard working, family life at the surface before. You fucking normie, go back to rebbit.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.