[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
was superman returns as bad as people say it is? what made it so bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: 322043.jpg (198 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
322043.jpg
198 KB, 1280x1024
was superman returns as bad as people say it is? what made it so bad?
>>
>>67005182
Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane
>>
>>67005199

You want a kick in the cunt?
>>
Gay shit in the style of the comedy gay Reeves films.
>>
>>67005217
You know I'm Right
>>
File: kate_bosworth1_300_400.jpg (29 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
kate_bosworth1_300_400.jpg
29 KB, 300x400
>>67005199
what? she's like the perfect model of pure aryan.
>>
File: singer.png (445 KB, 703x470) Image search: [Google]
singer.png
445 KB, 703x470
Yes.

The Good:
Spacey made for a great Lex. The production design was lovingly, nostalgically crafted. Routh cut a nice figure and did his best.

The Bad:
Everything else. Lex's plot was literally a joke. The kid angle was an absolute misfire from top to bottom. Cuckclops once more. Lois Lane, the world's most badass reporter is a meek waif. No action. No. Action. Save for that quick plane sequence. Superman doesnt actually get to be super. He hovers, stalks, gets beat up by mooks. The suit was ugly as hell w that tiny S and marroon cape, boots, undies.
>>
it was boring as fuck, Supes was a sad stalker, Louis was a teenanger, Lex with kryptonite again

it was still better than Man of Shit
>>
>>67005285
>what? she's like the perfect model of pure aryan.

This, that means she's right for any role
>>
>>67005285
Who looked like she was in high school

Couldn't be taken seriously the whole movie
>>
File: 30165155wKECMUYI.jpg (101 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
30165155wKECMUYI.jpg
101 KB, 490x490
>>67005182
>Spacey made for a great Lex
>>
>>67005182
They cut out the only good scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRV_Mfgv3QU

Overall it really needed a better script and director. I didn't mind that it wanted to carry on from the first two Reeves films, but this just wasn't good enough.
>>
>>67005592

>oh my god Kryptonite in the remains of Krypton!

What a dumb scene, no wonder it was cut.
>>
>>67005182
Superman looks like superboy
Spends the entire flick stalking/emoting
Gets btfo by kumar
Kevin Spacey channels Gene Hackman
Superman's feats were strong but no Action
Kate Bosworth was no Margot Kidder (Kidder came across as a pushy woman who had to get shit down, and no time to settle down)
Super_id what the f, singer
>>
>>67005387
With solid material he could have been great
>>
I enjoyed it at the time, it wasn't the movie I expected exactly, but it certainly was a nice tribute to the Donner films. However it didn't really do anything new for Superman, kind if Batman Begins was just a send up to the Burton Batman films.
>>
stadium scene was nice, classic supes moment
>>
>>67007527
I agree. "Now fly," pretty much cemented it for me.
>>
>>67005298
this tbqh
>>
Two and a half hours of nothing happening

also no originality, just Singer jerking off and copying a film made 30 years ago
>>
Superman Returns

Directed by Bryan "Did you know I was gay?" Singer

Directed by Bryan "Gays are tragic outsiders" Singer
>>
It was boring.
>>
Resuming a series that started in the 70s except moving the story to the present day and retconning the 3rd and 4th movies because they were bad was the first mistake. Why would you do this? The original Superman movies weren't THAT great.
>>
>>67008703
>moving the story to the present day
I could've sworn it took place in the 90s
>>
It's not abysmally awful as a film, but what made it bad is the fact that it was really, really boring.
In essence, it was a lame retread of Richard Donner's orginal Superman that could never decide if it wanted to be an actual sequel, a remake or some sort of reboot. It had zero ideas of its own, taking almost everything from the -admittedly great- 1978 movie and thus failed to establish any kind of identity of its own. Even Lex Luthor's plan was little more than a mad-libs style rendition of the earlier film.

Actually, I lied. It did have an idea of its own, and that was Superman's son, which didn't really do much for the film as a whole, on account of being kind of badly executed.

It did "get" the optimistic spirit of Superman, though, which is more than I can say for Man of Steel.
>>
>>67005182
It tried to emulate the old Superman movies a bit too close. It's still leaps and bounds better than that man of steel tripe, though.
>>
>>67005253
I bet you enjoy the films of Steven Seagal and taking a bro shower afterwards.
>>
>>67005182
supergay.
>>
>>67010179
Better Thupergay than superbald tbqh family.
>>
Nah, just a bit dull
>>
>>67005182

No, just a soulless copy of the Donner movies. Still better than fucking Man of Steel however
>>
>>67005592
What is that Masonic symbol before it zooms into space?
>>
>>67005799
You have the thought process of a retarded child.
>>
Out of curiosity:
How many of you saw the fan-recut using some material from the Reeves movies?
I'm talking about Superman Restored.
I thought they managed to make it pretty damn decent. Good even.
>>
>>67008703
Context, princess. This was coming from the Superman Lives! fiasco and Singer tried to distance himself from that movie's plans as much as possible. He even kept around a pic of Nic Cage in suit to remind everyone of what not to do.
>>
>>67010710
I normally avoid fan edits because I'm not a mongoloid.
>>
>>67010641

Nah that scene is stupid for a lot of reasons, maybe I dumbed it down, but think about it, Superman flies back to where Krypton is (don' get me started on any part still being that huge after a catastrophic explosion) and his ship has no protection against kryptonite radiation? How the fuck did he travel light years from Earth, away from the yellow sun to another goddamn galaxy where I'm sure there should be a red sun about and not die?

It's a worthless scene that nobody put thought into, in b4 lolcapeshit writing, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: I see.gif (215 KB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
I see.gif
215 KB, 500x209
>>67010771
>>
>>67010813
My problem with your post is that all of these things you know in hindsight. He was literally exploring the remains of krypton for the first time and didn't know any of this.
>>
>>67010815
I made that mistake once with The Matrix Dezionized and immediately regretted my mistake. It was poorly edited, sometimes they cut scenes right in the middle and didn't do anything to fix the trilogy's bullshit.
Never again. Never, ever.
>>
>>67010888
>>67010888
>He was literally exploring the remains of krypton for the first time and didn't know any of this.

Kryptonite is literally made from the explosion that destroyed krypton, why the fuck would he not think there would be some there in its ruins? You're as stupid as the guy that made that scene.
>>
>>67010951
You're a fucking idiot, he didn't know kryptonite is made from the remains of krypton. That scene is probably where he found out.
Fucking imbecile, drown yourself.
>>
>>67010937
Oh believe me, I know your pain, and I don't blame you for staying away from fan edits, but just because a lot/most of them turn out shit doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there.
>>
>>67005182
It was just unnecessary. Felt like a rehash of the Reeves ones
>>
>>67010813
>don' get me started on any part still being that huge after a catastrophic explosion
Different Anon, but what's wrong with the size of those fragments?
It's a fucking planet that exploded, a planet much larger than earth.
These fragments aren't even as big as the average city. They're pretty damn tiny.
>>
File: 21026_2.jpg (41 KB, 465x600) Image search: [Google]
21026_2.jpg
41 KB, 465x600
the actor fell off right after this movie. i thought he was a pretty good superman, almost could be reeve's son. also i'm guessing a buttchin is a requirement to play superman?
>>
the first mistake was that it's a direct sequel to two movies that came out 30 before. it assumes the audience remembers everything that happened in Superman I & II, and if you don't, story elements and character motivations are left oddly vague. it plays a lot better as "the third movie" if you watch it right after the first two, which most people had not back in 2006

and the other big thing is that it's undeniably sedate, with an intentional tone of melancholy that turned a lot of people off. they had story & pacing problems right off the bat, with the infamously cut return to krypton sequence, cutting the revelation that luthor had manipulated superman into leaving, cutting superman saving metropolis for budget reasons, big stretches of the movie left with no narrative momentum, etc.

also just about everybody is miscast. routh and bosworth have very little charisma next to reeve and kidder, and kevin spacey doing an impression of gene hackman is annoying
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.