[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched Frank and thought it was one of the funniest, most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: Michael-Fassbender-as-Fra-011.jpg (26 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Michael-Fassbender-as-Fra-011.jpg
26 KB, 460x276
Just watched Frank and thought it was one of the funniest, most endearing films I've seen in a while. Fassbender is GOAT but I was surprised with how much I liked Domhnall Gleeson in this.

What did you think?
>>
>>67003951
hipster bullshit
>>
I was bored shitless
>>
it was good and original, which is becoming increasingly rare. it reminded me of mid 90s indie films. maggie gylenhall was surprisingly good in it too, and despite the hipster meme the songs were pretty cool.
>>
>>67003951
I really liked it. Easily one of my favorite films of it's year.
>>
>>67003951
dafak is this
>>
>>67003951
/r9k/ the movie
it's also funny, dark and sweet.
frank's mental illness was not addressed realistically, but alas it is a movie
>>
>>67003951
the age of Gleeson is upon us
>>
>>67003951
am i the only one who hates that mask? its fucking horrifying jesus
>>
>>67004049
Gyllenhaal's character was such a disdainful cunt but she did a really good job oozing contempt from every pore.

I loved the scene near the end where Jon meets Frank's parents and they tell him that the myth of insanity enhancing creative genius is complete bullshit and his illness only holds him back

The film reminded me of a contemporary Almost Famous where the outsider has already come of age and is almost as cynical as the band
>>
Why was frank in the movie filth? In one scene he appears on the tv
>>
>>67004413
Frank Sidebottom was a real 90s UK weird comedy act. The film is quite different as he is more of a composite character
>>
How were we suppose to react to Gleeson's character in this?

He abandoned his job etc and put all his money into the band because he thought they were good so fair enough, then the movie sort of takes a turn and gets dark when we see Frank is actually just really mentally ill and the band don't actually want to be good and make money?

It's a weird turn I guess.
>>
>>67004597
He tries to use Frank & Co's talent to satisfy his own ambitions because he's a talentless hack, but people are more complicated than he thought
>>
>>67004597
He ruined everything. But in the end the band still gets back together though.
>>
>>67004597
The story and Gleeson are based on Jon Ronson and his experiences in Frank Sidebottom's band,he seems like a pretty insecure and self-loathing writer so it is intentional that Gleeson isn't entirely sympathetic. Your meant to feel quite ambivalent to him, they fucked him around and took advantage, but Frank was genuinely mentally ill so can't be held accountable
>>
>>67004537
yeah its really fucking annoying that these yanks think its original
>>
>>67004597
His support for the band was trumped by his own desire for fame; his internet extroversion throughout the film was not down to altruism.

All a matter of perspective really; because Gleeson narrates the film we're conditioned to see Gyllenhaal as a malignant influence - and while her attitude was really fucking hostile she ultimately had Frank's interests at heart more than he did.

Look at who pushed him to perform despite being clearly unstable with a fractured band.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zA1Ld2ZnwE

I would ironically listen to their album,
>>
I thought it was vapid and quirky. 5/10
>>
So who else was the movie's Frank was based off besides Sidebottom?

I heard there was some Captain Beefheart influence. The movie also reminds me of people recounting working with Buckethead and how eccentric he can be (like when he recorded with Guns n Roses briefly).
>>
>>67005048
why don't you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0elCZT8yN0
>>
>>67005010

It's complicated I guess, he genuinely thought Frank and the band were talented on top of that as well.
>>
>>67004222
He's been shit apart from in this desu family
>>
>>67003951
It was aight, went downhill when they at the cabin.
>>
THE GALACTIC SIRENS SOUND
>>
>>67003951
it was excellent. /tv/ is literally too retarded to enjoy it, most especially because it doesn't clearly signpost when it's being comedic/dramatic.
>>
I LOVE YOU ALL
>>
>>67005139
The recording style/sessions are largely based on beefheart. Frank himself is more like Daniel Johnston with a bit of beefheart thrown in. A lot of it just references a bunch of crazy genius outsider musician myths.
>>
Such a great kino.

>>67007801
GET OUT THE PATH OF THE KI-ING
>>
>>67007815
Do you really think that
>>
>>67009229
Why wouldn't he? It's a fine movie that stands on its own.
>>
File: k.jpg (119 KB, 581x820) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
119 KB, 581x820
>>67004968
>>
>>67009267
No, does he really think anyone that dislikes it here does it because they can't understand tone. Thats a ridiculous, dismissive statement
>>
>>67009334
>Thats a ridiculous, dismissive statement
think for a moment about where you are
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKjz6ShKQw
>>
>>67005048
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj9Lvp17e9o

best song imo
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.