[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are the best documentaries that you have watched?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: Jiro Dreams of Sushi.jpg (44 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Jiro Dreams of Sushi.jpg
44 KB, 400x600
what are the best documentaries that you have watched?
>>
>>66986397
I preffered Jiro Dreams of Ass Rape
>>
>>66986397
not op but content aside i thought it was a pretty comfy documentary.

anything they said that went over my head was quickly explained, such as the yen-dollar conversion and the way they haggled for the fish everyday.

the content itself though was just fascinating. it's one thing to see a guy aim for perfection but another to see he almost has enormous respect and admiration from all his workers, even the young ones.

it went beyond sushi and i didn't even really realize it until a few days later.

adding to that, it really resonated with me and i can't explain why, and thats usually how my dad taught me a film is really good.
>>
>>66986397
Conquest:Cane toads
The Final Member
both on netflix
>>
The Big Short
>>
the art of killing
the cove
>>
>>66986397
dear zachery
>>
In The Shadow of The Moon
Cosmos: A Personal Voyage (with Carl Sagan, not the new one)
Human Universe (with Brian Cox)
Planet Earth
>>
>>66987755
kek.

good movie but everybody already knew america was/is shit. if you didn't know before going into the big short then you're blind.
>>
>>66986397
Four Horsemen
102 minutes that changed america
Soundcity
Exit through the gift shop
Samsara
Life in a day
>>
>>66986397
The Gate of Heavenly Peace
>>
>>66986397
Weeb piece of shit.
>>
>>66989359
>america is shit
Except it isn't. The rest of the world is in much deeper doo-doo. America is on top.

Plus, knowing that things are going down does not imply that you know how they did
>>
>>66986788
Couldn't have said it better. The philosophy in the documentary is what elevates it beyond just a look at making sushi
>>
>if you work hard, you will be fulfilled!
>take it from me, a guy who makes over 100k an hour not cooking fish

>>
>>66990360
this desu

ever since watching this film I've been visiting sushi restaurants and attempting to sneak in to their kitchens with a portable stove just to cook their fish
I'm making a statement
>>
>>66986397
Like any intelligent, forward thinking citizens of the 21st century, my wife and I are feminists. And like any feminists we were shocked and disgusted by this movie.

Both the main character (Jiro) AND the narrator are male! If alarms aren't going off in your head so far you're probably a bigot. Things became more and more repulsive as the movie played on. All of the supporting characters are male! And even worse, almost every single character in the movie is male!

I don't care if this is a documentary. My wife left the room in tears at the end of the first hour during a particularly sickening scene where Jiro serves a room full of customers. He says (not an exact quote) "I made the meals smaller for the women and larger for the men so that everyone would finish at the same time." Things like this would be expected in a film about Adolf Hitler or Winston Churchill (both disgusting sexist pigs)but in a movie about food it was just chilling. And that wasn't even the worst part! The women in the room appeared (probably special effects or movie magic of some type) TO APPROVE OF THIS. Can you believe that?

My wife won't talk about it and I'm not sure I could if I wanted to. I finished the movie with tears in my bloodshot eyes. I can't believe we've advanced so far as a society and women are still seen as being gutter scum.

Anyone forward thinking enough to simply be on the internet, to find this movie, to read this review, will be disgusted by the brutally sexist assault on your senses and common decency this movie has gotten away with.
>>
>>66990911
Your wife left the room in tears? ..typical woman! Haha just kidding, I myself am a woman but not as thin-skinned as some people. I loved this movie and what did you want them to do, include women JUST FOR THE SAKE of including women? Does your wife also follow you into the MEN's bathroom just because otherwise it would be exclusively an all-male bathroom? I'm highly intelligent, very much a feminist but I'm not so blinded by the sole determination of making sure every single thing in this world has male/female in it in the exact same ratios as to the point of absurdity, which is what I'm afraid you and your wife have done if you can't enjoy a movie such as this ...but I'm sure you enjoyed the Joy Luck Club with the all female main characters and female narrators! Ah that is such a good movie as well, I will have to revisit it sometime.
>>
>>66990911
I know this is pasta, but i still enjoyed it.
>>
>>66986397
God, I love Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Whenever I'm feeling down or uncertain about my path in life, I just watch Jiro and I'm filled with this warm feeling of purpose and confidence... he is such a unique person, with such a powerful drive to do one thing perfectly. I wish I could be that dedicated ;_;
>>
The ambassador
>>
>>66986397
this was more aesthetic than 'learning anything'. i couldnt tell you anything about sushi making except its autistic and autists value repetition.

the best documentary i can remember is Chasing Madoff which explains the downfall of bernie madoffs ponzi
>>
>>66986397
i saw Jiro in the theater pleb, and it wasn't all that

in fact it was fucking short

like you
>>
Baraka
Koyaanisqatsi
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara
>>
>>66990911
I am the father of four highly intelligent, women who have advanced in their professions with my enthusiastic encouragement. I am not a sexist. I have just returned from 5 weeks in Tokyo, where I lived in a small apartment with my host, a retired Japanese professor. One of the many things that impressed me about Japan is the rarity of people who are other than slim and trim. I also noticed how small the servings of food are in good Japanese restaurants. Women eat even less than men and they tend not to be engaged in activities as strenuous (calorie burning) as men. Women are never sushi chefs and all roles (including the roles of women) are played by men in Japanese Kabuki theatre, while only women perform in Takarazuka. Your reaction and that of your wife are waaaaaaay over the top. I would think that there is a LOT more than contemporary disapproval of sexism going on with and between you. Have you discussed your reactions with a psychiatrist?
>>
Fucking love National Gallery
>>
The Thin Blue Line is God-tier.
>>
The Fog of War

Grizzly Man

Encounters at the End of the World

The Endurance: Shackleton's Journey narrated by Liam Neeson

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Blue Planet

The Act of Killing
>>
Crumb
Act of Killing
The Century of the Self (miniseries)
>>
>>66986397
>>66986827
>>66987936
>>66994489
shit

>>66989291
normie shit

>>66989210
bait

>>66989403
Reddit's choice

>>66992581
the only patrician in this thread
>>
>>66986397
Man on Wire

better than the biopic film about it with JGL speaking with an awful french accent
>>
Smash bros documentary
>>
File: 1454466459940.jpg (17 KB, 614x307) Image search: [Google]
1454466459940.jpg
17 KB, 614x307
>>66994557
>Reading comprehension

>>66986397
Koyaanisqatsi
Cosmos: A Personal Voyage
Simon Schama's Power of Art (Comfy series)
Mankind: The Story of All of Us (Comfy series)
>>
The Cave of Forgotten Dreams
>>
File: laughing-hysterically-gif.gif (500 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
laughing-hysterically-gif.gif
500 KB, 480x228
>>66986409
First post best post
>>
>>66992581
>The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara

this
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2-Re_Fl_L4

>/a/'s wet dream
>>
>>66990768
who'd you steal that one from, Schumer?
>>
Capturing the Friedmans is amazing. The home movies that basically move the story forward gives you the feeling of seeing something you are not supposed to see.

Also Arnold did it and Jesse was caught up in it because the justice system is retarded.
>>
grizzly man, best film about narcissism ever made
>>
The one about Apocalypse Now was pretty great
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.