[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will the spoof comedy genre ever make a comeback /tv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 322x457) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 322x457
Will the spoof comedy genre ever make a comeback /tv/?
>>
>scary movie 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9

That killed it
>>
Not in the classic ZAZ style, at least. That was viciously murdered, not just by talentless hacks superficially aping those movie without actually understanding how they work, but also because referential humour is extremely prevalent in pretty much all comedies now.
>>
File: Fifty_Shades_of_Black_poster[1].png (132 KB, 250x370) Image search: [Google]
Fifty_Shades_of_Black_poster[1].png
132 KB, 250x370
>>66961731
>>66961822
>a comeback
>killed it

uh, there is a spoof of Fifty Shades of Grey playing in my local cinema in the East Midlands. how many Wayans fans do you think there are in England to justify it being screened here?

the genre is still alive. you could even cite Cabin In The Woods as an elevated spoof.
>>
I hope not
>>
>>66962012
Yes, they're still around and they still draw something of an audience, but that's just because they're produced cheaply and ride the coattails of some popular movie. That's exactly how assholes like Seltzer and Friedberg operated for years, and even that well ran dry eventually.
However, despite that, they are largely all recognized as the bottom of the barrel of modern comedy, possibly even below Adam Sandler's recent work.
No genre ever really goes away, but it may turn into a festering corpse, a sad mockery of itself.

And yes, there are still good spoof movies, but they are very different from the ZAZ style that defined the genre for such a long time, movies like Hot Fuzz or, as you mentioned, Cabin in the Woods (which I, admittedly, haven't seen). They're are usually much less overt when they parody something and utilize references in more subtle ways.
>>
No
There are no more good comedy directors, parody has lost all its status and sjws rule the world
Nuke everything
>>
the simpsons
>>
>>66962237
Cabin in the Woods is closer to Kick-ass: it deconstructs a genre while also working effectively as an example of that genre.
>>
>>66961731

>I loved you in Wall Street!
>>
>>66962336
Such a great scene.
>>
>>66962269
Edgar Wright is one of the best comedy directors of all time, and Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz are two of the best parodies ever made.
But what has he been doing lately? World's End just wasn't on par...
>>
>>66961731
>I LOVED YOU IN WALL STREET!
>>
hot fuzz was notevenclose to shaun of the dead.

also shau of the dead is zomibie flick not spoof so fuck off with your ginger penn kiddie shit here, we are talking about classic spoofs like spaceballs.
>>
I like the deadpan actors, are there some good new ones?
>>
>>66962560
Shaun of the Dead turns to shit once they reach the pub and you know it. then it recovers in the epilogue. plus it fails to balance comedy and drama as effectively. World's End and Hot Fuzz are much more consistent.
>>
I liked Superhero Movie, some jokes were genuinely funny.
But that was 10 years ago.
Scary Movie 3 had its moments too, mainly everything with Leslie Nielsen.
>>
>>66962461
It was on par but the atmosphere was bleak which i thought detracted a lot from the enjoyment.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.