[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the definitive interpretation of this film? This f
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 540x435) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 540x435
What is the definitive interpretation of this film?

This film is, in my opinion, the closest to a cinematic masterpiece we'll ever achieve. Everything about it is perfection: visually, thematically, etc. etc. It's so fucking incredible as well that it may be enjoyed at a superficial level (which 99% of audiences view it as), and still have multitudes of layers and depth worth unraveling. As such people have come up with fucking Syrian boatloads of theories as to the underlying message Kubrick was tryin to convey.

Some of the theories:
>a popular recurring theory is that it's about child sexual abuse/trauma. Due in part to extremely subtle imagery and symbolism throughout the film (see http://www.collativelearning.com/the%20shining%20-%20chap%2016.html)
>by far the most well-known of theories is it's an allegory for the genocide of the dindu nuffin Indians. This is obvious and the symbolism regarding the matter is very overt and often heavy-handed.
>and then there's those who claim it's a subliminal work based on how Kubrick faked the moon landing

Other things worthy of note:
>Jack's ghosts only materialize when a mirror is in the vicinity, which begs the question, what is the significance of mirrors throughout the film? Remember REDRUM and also the child abuse scene.
>obvious Native American decor throughout
>the hall itself is structured as if though a maze, so obvious parallelism there
>and finally of course there's the whole issue regarding Jack and his spirit's relation to the Overlook
I'm probably missing a bunch of shit but that's the bulk of it.

What could it all mean?
>>
The way I interpret it, the movie's simply an intricate study of Jack, with the Hotel itself being a metaphorical manifestation of the character's inner demons. That alone ties the whole child abuse/alcoholism/insanity subplots together, and perhaps even the ghosts and spirituality aspect of the film.

I don't see how that explains the Indian allegorical connections though. Maybe it's just secondary and Kubrick intended it as such. But I fee as if it somehow connects to Danny/Jack and the Shining itself.
>>
>>66940847
There isn't a definitive interpretation of the film and there never will be.

It's one of the reasons it's so good.

If anyone hasn't already seen it, they should watch Vivian Kubrick's "Making Of".
>>
>>66941708
Kubrick must've had something concrete in mind.
>>
>>66942131
All of them. It's intentionally multilayered.
>>
>>66942247
wow
>>
need some more input familios
>>
>>66940847
Minotaurs is the most widely accepted interpretation
>>
It involves the Revenant, Americans can't into understanding as they are a bunch of fat preprogrammed morons at the end of the day.
>>
>>66943534
BTW the opening scene shows a CITY IN A LAKE.
>>
>>66940847
it took me 5 days to watch and my god what a loaf of shit. if it wasnt for the deadpool camrip i found, my whole weekend would be ruined
>>
>>66944999
k e k brick
>>
Nice thread.
But why bother finding a definitive interpretation? There's no such thing unless you'd like to know the director's point of view, which most likely wouldn't happen for 1) he's dead and 2) he's not interested in explaining anything and 3) a definitive interpretation is nonexistent. It doesn't matter. It's supposed to have a lot of interpretations. That's the magic.
>>
Barry Lyndon was a million times better
>>
>>66942835
Kek
>>
>>66940847
He did change the room number so it would look like moon room on the do not disturb thing that's the only fake moon landing explanation that made me think
>>
>>66940847
The definitive interpretation is that Colorado is a fun place to live
>>
>>66945698
I remember seeing a video somewhere that they changed the room number to a room number that wasnt in the hotel they filmed in
>>
>>66947229
They put it in a fictional room so the guests wouldn't get spooked
>>
is this some next level trolling

you do know its based on a Stephen King horror novel right
>>
>>66944999
Days? You're an idiot. Deadpool was what saved your weekend? Sounds like a shitty weekend.
>>
>>66947507
This. There is a definitive interpretation and Kubrick took a big steamy shit all over it. Fuck this overrated "film".
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.