[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Silent Hill a good film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: Silent_hill.jpg (90 KB, 280x415) Image search: [Google]
Silent_hill.jpg
90 KB, 280x415
Is Silent Hill a good film?
>>
>>66933563
in the same way that most movies that take from a source material instead of being original are inherently reductionist in their storyline, this movie suffers as well.

They did a bad job introducing pyramid head and the cult, while also technically basing the movie off of the first game that had a male protagonist.

I did enjoy it though, some parts were legitimately creepy, like during the first air raid siren.
>>
>>66933628
that being said, it's in fact one of the best horror movies of this century
personaly i think it's as good as an video game adaptation can be
>>
>>66933690
you can't be serious, the story was a jumbled mess and it lacks any depth that the games may have had.
>>
>>66933563
Easily the best adapted video game film
>>
>>66933690
yes, as i said, as good as a video game adaptation can be
>>
>>66933769
>>66933723
sorry, meant for you
>>
>>66933563
it's pretty much a good film, but the games will always be better obviously.
>>
>>66933563
Good visuals and interesting costume design, but lolworthy acting, half-assed story (except the mother theme which worked), and of course including fanboy shit like Pyramid Head once again for no reason. And I don't want anyone quoting this saying "Pyramid Head is the town executioner!" that's just an excuse to put the most memorable monster design from the game into the movie to get people to watch.
>>
I haven't seen it in years but I remember really liking it and loving the soundtrack.
>>
Why don't she have mouth?
>>
>>66933909
didn't you watch matrix? it was all an illusion created by the machines
>>
>>66933932
???
>>
>>66933909
>SILENT hill
GET IT?????
>>
>>66933852
They should have foreshadowed the cult stuff a little more. And instead of more flashbacks (the ones they had were fine), it could have been sacrificial iconography, things that the average person would associate with witch trials n such. The end has a left field feel about it, even after rewatching it several times.
>>
>>66933982
So the film does not have sound?
>>
>>66933628
>>66933563
Its a fine movie, but garbage SH because it makes 0 sense.

They see James personal monsters and Pyramid Head who is literally James and only for James.

So if you are a fan of the games and know anything about them, the movies make absolutely 0 sense.
>>
>>66934061
it's like those first cronenbergs, silent with commentaries
>>
File: jodelle.webm (3 MB, 880x1080) Image search: [Google]
jodelle.webm
3 MB, 880x1080
She has grown into a fine lady.
>>
>>66934127
OK, thanks.
>>
File: 1407674159367.jpg (273 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1407674159367.jpg
273 KB, 560x560
>>66934165
>>
they should do a proper adaptation of SH2 desu senpai
>>
>>66933563
I liked it. If you like the games... I recommend it. The second one is more faithful to the games but is alot campier and sloppy.

It does have a really cool fight in the end between Illuminatie Head and a boss from 3
>>
File: 1448106660757.gif (1 MB, 218x295) Image search: [Google]
1448106660757.gif
1 MB, 218x295
>>66934165
what is this from?
>>
I liked it.

>>66934348
Silent Hill 2 is already a very cinematic experience. I can't think of anything they could improve with a film.
>inb4 voice acting
Voice acting was stilted like that on purpose. They don't talk like normal people because, surprise, they're not normal people. They're too overwrought with their own personal demons to chat with other people about the weather.
>>
>meooow
>>
>>66934535
It's worth it to experience the claustrophobic but beautiful environments not on outdated graphics.
>>
>>66934500
Dark Matter
>>
>>66934652
SH2's graphic look amazing though
>>
It was nice until that woman got ripped in half
>>
>>66933909
Because she must scream.
>>
>>66933837
I liked the movie more... Still a fan of the games. The movie that I have seen the most times just because its comfy
>>
It is a good film if you completely ignore or deny any connection to the Silent Hill franchise, and even then it's good in the same sense that finding a dollar on the street is good. It's definitely not bad but it's not amazingly fantastic either.
>>
>>66934108
>They see James personal monsters
But the games do that too, it's easy to overlook.

imo the biggest problem was them changing the protagonist to a woman because they thought it would be weird for a father to be looking for his daughter.
>>
ambient not creepy enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZxg_sva-2U
>>
>>66935032
>But the games do that too, it's easy to overlook.

Not it just means the film is nonsensical like the later games have become.
>>
>>66935079
dude just turn your brain off lmao~

Harry left an imprint of his psyche in Silent Hill, happy now? They could just explain it away in 5 seconds if they cared to.
>>
>>66935208
Retconning shit doesn't make me happy, no. I don't understand why you think it would.
>>
I'm just here waiting for someone to eventually post the .webm of that girl getting skinned by Pyramid Head.
>>
>>66935032
No, only Maria does, and Maria isnt real.

SH2 didnt fuck up itself.
>>
>>66935284
I don't understand why you care. Yes, it's indicative that the games were getting worse, and the film is more concerned with fanservice and brand recognition than making a faithful adaptation (duh), but beyond that it doesn't matter.
>>
>>66935517
>No guys it's absolutely fine! =D
>I disagree
>Well I don't see why you care anyway :^)

You brought it up, nigger.
>>
>>66936103
I clearly didn't.
>>
>>66933563

its a kino if you dismiss /v/ opinion
>>
>>66935517
Because those monsters being around originally had deep purpose and made sense and them sticking around later has very shallow purpose and makes no sense. It is poor story-telling and that's part of what makes the later games, and the film which we're discussing, bad.
>>
>>66933563
I'm a HUGE fan of the original SH games. I can't stress how much I was looking forward to a film adaptation of SH1.

Overall I was pretty disappointed. As had already been mentioned, turning Harry into a chick and adding PH for no reason really bothered me, but I could have overlooked both if the story hadn't been such a clichéd predictable mess.

I could tell you the exact point it went downhill for me was when the chick and Cybil encountered the moron Ana. Suddenly there was an entire group of people living in foggy Silent Hill. What??

Then it hit rock bottom when they got to the church and one of the cultists called them witches.

Burn the witches!

Seriously? What a way to ruin a great story.
>>
>>66936734
>ruin a great story.
Unfortunately, that has become the theme of silent hill
>>
si
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.