[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do when you just DON'T understand a film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Eraserhead.jpg (1 MB, 1881x2437) Image search: [Google]
Eraserhead.jpg
1 MB, 1881x2437
What do you do when you just DON'T understand a film?
>>
There is nothing to understand
Lynch just made a shitty movie
>>
>read the wiki
>move on
>>
>>66923421
I listen to other people's opinions and theories about it.
>>
>>66923421
>rage quit
>watch friends
>>
>>66923477
This pretty much.
I'm not one for the death of the author but it's obvious that different people with different lives can relate better to certain works. If they can give you interesting insights, listen to them
>>
David Lynch makes random garbage that pseudo intellectuals and/or potheads eat up. There isn't much else to understand.
>>
>>66923655
>>66923441
A yes, the famous contrarians I presume.
>>
>>66923421
watch until a line i dont understand then post it followed by "what did he mean by this".
>>
>>66923477
This, but you must parrot the opinion. It's what /tv/ does when RLM critiques anything.
>>
>>66923421

Pretentious bullshit just like Begotten.
>>
Shrug "this probably wasnt meant for me" and move on to the next film
>>
>>66923421
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snhiofL2Rh4
>>
>>66923993
I actually try to mold the stuff I like into my opinion, though. I don't like to just parrot other people.
>>
File: eraserhead.png (633 KB, 1504x2092) Image search: [Google]
eraserhead.png
633 KB, 1504x2092
>>66923421
just go with roseybaum's take on it. he's a huge cuck for lynch
>>
>>66923421
Pretend that you do, and try your hardest to draw conclusions from nuances you act like the director/writer inserted into it
>>
>>66923421
Most digestible and easily comprehensible Lynch film ever made.

>>66923655
Once you come up with your own unified theory for any given Lynch film, you begin to realize just how wonderfully crafted they are. Lost Highway, for example, is all about a fractured ego facing the repercussions of ill morality. That's what I concluded, but it could indeed be something else.
>>
what was the meaning of the lady singing 'in heaven everything is fine'?
>>
>>66923421
There's nothing to understand about Eraserhead.
Have you ever had a dream? Then you get it.

Usually when I don't understand a film it's because the creators have gone out of their way to make it indecipherable just for the sake of it.
>>
>>66924555
What was indecipherable about A Field in England?
>>
if you like a movie you dont understand you still get something out of it, if you dont then fuck that movie
>>
I don't really 'get' The Tree Of Life, but goddamn did I enjoy it regardless. Just search analyses online after watching.
>>
>>66924475
She's goading Henry into escaping his responsibilities and committing suicide
>>
>>66924575
The last quarter, especially the ending. Don't pretend the answer is obvious to only intellectuals like you. It's so obtuse that there's no general consensus on it.
>>
>>66923421
Rewatch it?
>>
>>66924475
Escapism
>>
>>66924924
I tought they just got feed shrooms by the wizard guy and were tripping hard.
>>
>>66925452
Yeah, then dead guy comes back to life, the broken black stone/black sun in the sky is never explained, and they cross back over the hedge to see themselves standing on the other side looking at them.
All of this has no explanation or half-decent theory.
>>
>>66923421
Isn't it just a satire on a conformist person's life? What's there to understand?
>>
>>66926120
No? It's mostly about religion and suicide
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.